Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: LF LC
It will be a LFB sports car- around $150,000, V-8 hybrid
4.76%
It will be a new LC coupe luxury GT..around $100,000 V-8 hybrid
19.05%
It will be the new SC sporty GT...around $80,000, V-6 hybrid with possible V-8 hybrid option
57.14%
I don't care, once its built and looks similar, I am buying it
9.52%
I hate Lexus/Toyota and come here for unicorn pics, this won't be built
0%
I have no interest b/c its a hybrid
2.38%
Because Racecar
7.14%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Price/Performance-What would you like to see from the LF-LC

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-12, 06:54 AM
LexFather

Default Price/Performance-What would you like to see from the LF-LC

Well the stunningly good LF-LC has really taken the auto world by storm and shocked people as this incredible car likely will make production from Lexus. While little was said about price/performance I wanted to do a thread/poll to get thoughts on this model.

We will keep some basic assumptions
1-It stays a hybrid
2. It stays RWD
3. It stays a 4 seater
4. Overall design doesn't change much

What would you like to see or what do you think the price/engine(s) offered will be? Will this be a stand alone model, a LFB for instance? Will it be the next SC and if so will there be a F-sport or F model?

Old 01-10-12, 07:02 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I would like to see the following:

-At least 450hp/tq
-$55-75k
-RWD or AWD
-A TRUE manual trans option, either 6 or 7 speed.
-Twin Turbo/non hybrid model in the future.

What I do not want to see is another superb car, unreachable by the masses due to a stratospheric price. Good as it is, the LFA is not worth $300k+, its just not. Whats truly amazing is that even at that price, Lexus wont make a dime off of any LFA sold. Its only a break-even.
Old 01-10-12, 07:02 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 730 Likes on 502 Posts

My money is on 3SC and I'm assuming they'll soften it up to do so. It wouldn't be so bad for Lexus to have a SL competitor and making a smaller version to be the sporty one.
Old 01-10-12, 07:15 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to see three initial options:

- Standard V6 (maybe FI)
- Optional V8
- V6 hybrid with electronically assisted turbos

I'm guessing the V6 should maybe be $75K and the V8/hybrid at around $80k.

After that, I'd like to see an F version with FI V8 for ~$115k.

I can't put my finger on it right now, but I remember seeing specs somewhere that said the wheelbase of this car was between 115 and 116 inches. That is about the size of the SWB LS, so it's going to need to pack at least ~350hp in it's lowest trim to be an appropriate sporting GT car.

Maybe 360hp V6, 450hp V8, 475 hp hybrid, 575hp F.

I still think there is a chance that Lexus will do a GS coupe, so this will need to be positioned further upmarket than that. Maybe they won't, though.
Old 01-10-12, 07:30 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

REALISTIC PREDICTIONS (NOT WISHY-WASHY FANTASY DREAM CARS):

• RWD only. 2+2 seating arrangement.
  • Coupe and softtop convertible. Hardtop will be too heavy. That said, it should weigh about 3600 lbs for the coupe, and 3800 lbs for the softtop.
  • NA V6 (~310hp) and V6+hybrid (~350 hp) options. If there is an F variant, a V8 (~420 hp) carryover from the LS may be appropriate.
  • Standard automatic 8-speed transmission across the board.
  • Starts around $70k for V6, $80k for hybrid, and crawls up to $100k for the F variant.

That's my two cents...
Old 01-10-12, 07:34 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

^Two thoughts on the power numbers: the current V6 is up for a refresh and should push the output above 310 ponies. Look at what Hyundai has done with their 6cyl - Lexus has room to grow here, and needs to.

The hybrid setup in the new GSh is already 340hp so if this is "next generation" hybrid tech, as Templin said, I'd expect power figures well above that (if this is even a V6 - could be V8 hybrid - who knows?)
Old 01-10-12, 07:37 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

• Coupe and softtop convertible. Hardtop will be too heavy. That said, it should weigh about 3600 lbs for the coupe, and 3800 lbs for the softtop.
  • NA V6 (~310hp) and V6+hybrid (~350 hp) options. If there is an F variant, a V8 (~420 hp) carryover from the LS may be appropriate.
  • Starts around $70k for V6, $80k for hybrid, and crawls up to $100k for the F variant.

That's my two cents...
I'm thinking along the same lines as you but with the prices being about $10k cheaper.
Old 01-10-12, 08:01 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

V6 Hybrid 400-500hp and 30mpg. If you can do it with a V8 even better. For the top of the line model. For the standard model a brand new Lexus V8.
Old 01-10-12, 08:20 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Totally agree this will be the next 3SC I am hoping they make it a direct competitor to the SL but about 10K less across the line. My take it will be a Hybrid V8 only (400 hp to 450 hp) to start with trickle down product as the years go by. I will be waiting on the side lines for this one as long as they don't kill this design too much because this is beautiful. Along the lines of the Infiniti Essence (I think that was the name).
Old 01-10-12, 08:21 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by greg0126
I'm thinking along the same lines as you but with the prices being about $10k cheaper.
Generally, low volume coupes garner a hefty price tag to spread the engineering/design/marketing costs.

Mind you, the obsolete 2010 SC430 had a $67k price tag. This car won't cost less than the defunct SC430...
Old 01-10-12, 08:51 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Question:
Is this a preview to the next-gen SC?
Old 01-10-12, 09:01 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
- V6 hybrid with electronically assisted turbos -
Very nice. This would be attainable I believe, and garner a good power band through the RPM range, including keeping the car weight down. Although a V8 with a similar configuration would be phenomenal. The power they can squeeze from smaller blocks today is most admirable.

REALISTIC PREDICTIONS (NOT WISHY-WASHY FANTASY DREAM CARS):[list][*]RWD only. 2+2 seating arrangement.[*]Coupe and softtop convertible. Hardtop will be too heavy. That said, it should weigh about 3600 lbs for the coupe, and 3800 lbs for the softtop.[*]Standard automatic 8-speed transmission across the board.
That's my two cents...
I think an AWD system would certainly drive the cost up substantially, albeit not out of the question. It would have to “behave” like the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X to be justifiable, which may be too controlled for some. RWD would definitely make driving more fun for purists.
Totally agree on the 8-speed tranny, they may not implement the same type of electrohydraulic transmission (6-speed) that is in the LFA due to production cost, they may settle for a dual-clutch transmission…we will just have to wait and see.
Originally Posted by MPLexus301
^Two thoughts on the power numbers: the current V6 is up for a refresh and should push the output above 310 ponies. Look at what Hyundai has done with their 6cyl - Lexus has room to grow here, and needs to.
The hybrid setup in the new GSh is already 340hp so if this is "next generation" hybrid tech, as Templin said, I'd expect power figures well above that (if this is even a V6 - could be V8 hybrid - who knows?)
Horsepower numbers should be in the 360 – 400 range given it is in the 3600 – 3800 lb range, which is most achievable with a number of configurations of a new V6 or V8 hybrid system with electronically assisted turbos. Plus it would sound awesomely cool. At first maybe 2 versions will be available, then if sales numbers look well, as I expect they should – they would unleash the mighty “F” version.

But we are still in the dark on this as well – we can only hope they exceed our expectations.

I don’t care which Badge they throw on this concept, if you build it, they will come.
Old 01-10-12, 09:07 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Question:
Is this a preview to the next-gen SC?
Perhaps.

All speculation at this time.

However, it seems most likely.
Old 01-10-12, 09:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

comments...

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
I would like to see the following:

-At least 450hp/tq possible
-$55-75k no way at the low end there
-RWD or AWD nice to have
-A TRUE manual trans option, either 6 or 7 speed. not a chance in hell
-Twin Turbo/non hybrid model in the future. non hybrid yes, twin turbo, not happening
Old 01-10-12, 09:14 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

That's my two cents...
I totally agree on the 3 engine aspect.

Being that you were a former SC430 owner, you know about it's pricing. There's no way this new one is under $70k, let alone under $60k.

Gotta have the SC F (after the GS F).

For me, no soft top vert.

Quick Reply: Price/Performance-What would you like to see from the LF-LC