Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MILES!!!!! 500K? Too many idiots pass on AWESOME cars for lack of low miles.....read

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-12, 12:44 PM
LexusAMG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MILES!!!!! 500K? Too many idiots pass on AWESOME cars for lack of low miles.....read

A 100K MILE CAR IS WHAT NOW? A 100K MILE CAR? is this stereotype justified? I own a 170k lexus and a 100k mile AMG that both look like they barely have 25k miles...

SO WHAT IS THE NEW STANDARD?? is it that car looks like a 250k mile car?
It used to be a car with a 100k miles was taboo and DRIVING ON its last cylinder...UNTIL A GUY IN A 1970's Diesel MERCEDES went over 1 million miles...and still going....then people started to think out of the box a bit...but with newer cars..... a 100k is a joke...500k should be the new BENCHMARK!!

I have seen about a month ago a 2010 LEXUS ls460 WITH 11K MILES ON IT AT A DEALERSHIP....the odo was not tampered with!!!......it was certified....the car had a worn out steering wheel and worn out bolsters in the seats and it was rough....looked like 111k abused miles....it was a 2010!!!!

CURRENTLY---I own a 700hp one of only 194 built AMG CL65'S--- A V12 TWIN TURBO....A 2005...with 100k miles..the car is german built...we know the germans over build everything...the maintenance on the car is VERY CHEAP AND EVERYTHING just lasts on the car..brakes 60k miles etc....and it all has been done... the car is bulletproof...next to my Lexus's..... it is very dependable... and i know of no factory LEXUS or any other car WITH OVER 1000 LBS OF TORQUE that has a/c seats and library insulated interior.........it makes the quietest Lexus SEEM NOISY on the outside.... So basically because of the miles the car is taboo.... so i GET THE LOOKS when I drive it... it will beat my ex-GTR to 150mph with ease.... and it still looks like a $100k car.... but in essence it has a street value of $30-32k....about as much as a 2010 IS350 sells for....the AMG is 100x the IS..... but people are just that ignorant...... I see it all the time... and when i say what my car is worth their legs get weak....but their ***** get in a sling when it comes to buying a super car that has been driven

YET----MORONS go out there and buy a 50k mile Z06 or M5 or M6 or whatever...pass up on the better looking CL65 because they are in fear of the miles... the car represents a $32k value on the street... the engine itself has a $25k used value to it....new it is $80k.... the car was once $200k.... again I love the car but dumb folks would rather buy a lower mile one or another car "thinking" they are going in the right direction.... german car if not driven will have issues... the higher mile ones hold up better AND the overall treatment of a car is much more viable then a odometer reading.... ask the history of a car not the mileage!!!!!

i have seen over 1000 cars up close... i have owned over 75 cars... I HAVE SEEN 300k mile trucks and cars look like they were off the showroom and i have seen 5k mile classic Buick Grand Nationals and a 2010 LS460 look like they had 100k.... I have seen it all... DUE YOUR DUE DILIGENCE ON buying a car...mileage is a number...condition and care is the GODLY direction on buying a car.....PERIOD...

i JUST BOUGHT a GS430 which HAD ZERO bidders on ebay... I paid $7500.... it came with the window sticker and all records... the car was driven all highway.... looks and runs like i JUST BOUGHT IT NEW.... it has 170k miles....though people would pass on it and buy a cheap *** 2010 Honda ACCORD for $25k.... makes no sense....

ASK CONDITION AND CHECK OVERALL ..... AND GET THE HISTORY ...THEN LOOK AT THE ODOMETER AS THE LAST THING TO ACTUALLY LOOK AT ON BUYING A CAR....the odometer is great on resale ...but if you plan on keeping it forever... well if it has 10k miles and it is a piece of ****.... GO FOR THE 100K MILE CAR...SAVE some money and enjoy...
Old 01-14-12, 12:48 PM
cruisinvip
Driver

pics of AMG?
Old 01-14-12, 01:06 PM
SELFMade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man I feel you. I bought my 2GS with 135k on the odo, before then I had a Benz C Class with 160k. Both my cars have only had one owner and the previous owner of the Benz was an older lady with no kids so the car was show room clean inside and out. Not even a single crease in the leather. I've always did my own maintenance, I went to UTI so more than likely I will never buy a new car and doubt that I will ever go to a dealership for maintnenance. But I also think that a main factor is the car make, for instance buying a 96 Impala SS with 130k miles it may prove to be a POS but buying a Mercedes, BMW, or Lexus with 160k + may still run solid and like a tank. Thats pretty much why I don't buy domestics, I keep it German and Japanese. And i'm an AMG fan if I had the bread i'd have an E55 right now!
Old 01-14-12, 01:11 PM
LexusAMG
Driver School Candidate

Default here u go

Pics of my 700hp 1000 ft lbs of torque CL65 one of only 194 built for 2 years..... the most powerful factory built production car in the world....

it has a factory 612hp and 780 ft lbs of torque... with $1500 I had it tuned to a high 10 second car and a 208 mph supercar.....

It is factory detuned....

In history since the introduction of the twin turbo v12 in 2003....by Mercedes NOT ONE ENGINE HAS FAILED AT ALL...NOT ONE...no broken cranks or rods or blown pistons....and the engine can take up to 36 lbs of boost.... how you like that 2j guys?? I love the 2j motors too but I like these more....

As dependable as my LEXUS AND FASTER THEN my GTR was...

The only way to travel!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails MILES!!!!! 500K? Too many idiots pass on AWESOME cars for lack of low miles.....read-cimg2891.jpg   MILES!!!!! 500K? Too many idiots pass on AWESOME cars for lack of low miles.....read-cimg2896.jpg   MILES!!!!! 500K? Too many idiots pass on AWESOME cars for lack of low miles.....read-cimg2898.jpg   MILES!!!!! 500K? Too many idiots pass on AWESOME cars for lack of low miles.....read-cimg2917.jpg   MILES!!!!! 500K? Too many idiots pass on AWESOME cars for lack of low miles.....read-cimg2894.jpg  

Old 01-14-12, 01:14 PM
SELFMade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AMG produces the greatest engines hands down!
Old 01-14-12, 01:15 PM
LexusAMG
Driver School Candidate

Default More pics

MY 500 awd hp SEMA Escalade and GNX and AMG

The cadi is certified but has been in the shop more then the AMG----

I am selling all three for the right price
Attached Thumbnails MILES!!!!! 500K? Too many idiots pass on AWESOME cars for lack of low miles.....read-cimg2890.jpg   MILES!!!!! 500K? Too many idiots pass on AWESOME cars for lack of low miles.....read-cimg2906.jpg   MILES!!!!! 500K? Too many idiots pass on AWESOME cars for lack of low miles.....read-cimg2907.jpg  
Old 01-14-12, 01:50 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Well to be fair, people associate high mileage german cars with high maintenance cost and being out of warranty which scare most people off. I don't know about other makes but with Benz, they're relatively reliable but when something breaks it isn't cheap if you don't have warranty to cover the repairs. I had 06 ML350 with 50K miles fresh out of warranty and it started to have A/C issues. After spending $1200 out of pocket they still couldn't fix it..
Old 01-14-12, 02:05 PM
Enigmatic
Driver

I know this is off-topc, but why did you get an automatic CL? Did they not make a standard? zZz...
Old 01-14-12, 02:30 PM
LexusAMG
Driver School Candidate

Default not off topic just crazy question...

Also why is there not a 65 AMG on your ANDERSON page link? It is more powerful stock then all those cars and they are sick as hell customized....
Maybe they built one but didn't post it...

Its a automatic because it is a v12 twin turbo....and a $200k supercar built for luxury and speed... NOBODY WANTS TO change gears with a car like that....you don't have to....it spins the tires at 80 mph just stepping on the gas......besides...a stick shift in any boosted car looses boost between shifts...unless it is a dual clutch...then u can listen to the ANNOYING clanking racket driving around like my GTR did all the time....

no they did not make a stick shift... the guys who bought the cl65'S OWNED Lambos and Ferraris and didn't like the uncomfortable driving so bought a CL65 which was faster... and more powerful

And as for as repair costs?? it costs just as much to own a LEXUS as a AMG... the total cost of a new transmission out of warranty on my 700hp AMG was $2300.... on a Lexus they breach $4000....and i can go on and on to compare but fools worry about the costs...the quality of materials are so much higher in a $200k car that they rarely have issues..... IE the engine and tranny never failing and so on...I got 100k miles on a 1000lbs of torque going to my transmission...that is 3 times the power running to our GS's....and it was fine to 100k ...I rebuilt it to be bulletproof but was still working great...

power to power and lb for lb and dollar to dollar...AMG can't be beat PERIOD....

Last edited by LexusAMG; 01-14-12 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-14-12, 03:21 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I understand the concept that it is unfortunate that normal people are scared of by higher mileage cars, but to call them Ignorant or Idiots it's a bit over the top. People have various tastes and varying levels of 'disposal' money. So I don't see where you can attack their intellectual capacities by how much the spent on a particular mileage car?

Be glad people don't want them, so that you or others that are ok with it can get good deals on these cars. Supply and demand, if you convinced everyone to buy high mileage cars the prices would go up and you wouldn't find as many deals.
Old 01-14-12, 03:59 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

What was the point of this thread??? Hell when I buy another car, im looking for a low mileage car! I don't want a car with a lot of miles, I don't care how well it was maintained. I would rather put the miles on myself.
Old 01-14-12, 04:18 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
What was the point of this thread???
X 11ty billion. Belongs in car chat since it's a rant and not about a Lexus GS 2nd gen...

Big Mack
Old 01-14-12, 04:40 PM
braheem
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Where can you buy a $2300 transmission for an SL65, CL65 or S65?

I almost bought an TT SL600 since buying a warranty was was easier on a non AMG. In the end I decided on neither since I drive my cars over 200K before selling and couldnt find a 200K+ warranty for a 600HP beast.
Old 01-14-12, 05:11 PM
neojungle1
Lexus Test Driver

i love the grand national to me that was the last real muscle car of it time.. and a sleeper in ever aspect i
had a four door cutlass with a grand national swap and man was she a sleeper on i would stay messing around with honda and there loud exhaust and then i would chew there ***** and get the only huh look on there faces when they finally caught up when i was slowing down...
but on topic most consumers think high mileage isn't worth buying people need to be more educated in buying cars i never have look at mileage when purchasing that has been the last thing i look i comb the engine bay under the chassis and feel of the car when im test driving...the only time i use the mileage was to haggle on price( hint hint free tip!!!!)
Old 01-14-12, 05:19 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

That CL65 is simply BADASS... wow.

Quick Reply: MILES!!!!! 500K? Too many idiots pass on AWESOME cars for lack of low miles.....read