Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Enform & Safety Connect

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-12, 08:39 PM
LucidLuniz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Enform & Safety Connect

Just wondering if those of you who have used Lexus Enform & Safety Connect think it is worth the money.

I bought my '10 RX 350 used so I'm not privy to a free trial. Is it worth the money to add these features? My gut tells me that it'd be smart to go ahead and purchase the Safety Connect piece of the offering but that an extra $100+ for eDestination and Destination Assistance just isn't worth it.

What do you guys (and gals) think?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-14-12, 09:11 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I did not renew it when my trial went up.

My thoughts on Safety Connect is that if I get into an accident, it is mostly going to be around people and not on a deserted road, therefore I do not need the automatic collision notification. Then the vehicle trace...I have never had my car stolen ever, knock on wood.

On eDestination, sure it was nice to have the call center and the ability to send destinations via my computer but I only used those features once or twice during my free trial and I only did it because I didnt want to waste my trial. I could have easily punched in my destinations into the nav, and also almost everyone has a smart phone with internet connection so what is the point of calling the center? Its not that hard to pull over and input your destination.
Old 01-14-12, 11:48 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

RXSF makes good points, but I decided to renew for a second year. I really like ability to send destinations from my computer and iPhone right into the navigation system but I wish that option was not bundled with the call center service so as to be cheaper. I have not used the call center service much.

I also wish the Lexus iPhone app was integrated with the contacts on the iPhone such that I could select an address from my contacts list and send it directly to the car.

I'll re-evaluate again next year.

Terry in Sunnyvale
Old 01-15-12, 05:54 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

I've used Lexus Enform only during the past two years. Destinations can downloaded from a computer or through an app in addition to while driving. It's like having a concierge at your disposal. I consider it well worth the cost. A year and a half ago, I was driving with home as the destination when I received a call from my brother saying my mother was rushed to the hospital. Since I didn't know exactly where I was or the address for the hospital, I dialed Enform and the address was quickly downloaded to my RX while I continued to drive. In fact the operator overrode the current destination (home). It's a small price to pay in a situation like that. As for Safety Connect, I hope I never need it but I'm glad it's there.
Old 01-15-12, 09:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Not worth it IMO. EDestination is kinda cool, but not for a subscription.
Old 01-15-12, 11:28 AM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Not worth it IMO. EDestination is kinda cool, but not for a subscription.
Of course, the EDestination and Call-in services require the car to have a connection to a cell phone network with both voice and data service which is a subscription service.

Now Lexus could set things up so that your smart phone could sync to your on-line Efolders via your cell phone data service and also allow you find destinations directly on the phone and then download destinations directly to the navigation system via the USB connection in the car. You would still need your own cell phone data service subscription.

They could set up the car to use your personal cell phone for emergency calls and live destination help though I'd expect a subscription fee to pay for the people who are on call.

In fact, we could sit here and think up a million cool things you could do with your smart phone or iPad connected to the car via USB . . .

But, I think the approach of having the car's software in an external device would open up a pandora's box of complications for Lexus and the users. Problems I can think of would include:
1. The fact the car owner may not have a smart phone.
2. That multiple smart phone operating systems (Droid, IOS, MS) are in common use now and the software onboard the car would need to deal with them all.
3. That the smart phone software can easily be updated and versions of the smart phone operating systems change frequently but the software version in the car cannot (easily and transparently).
4. That this creates a path for viruses into the car's navigation system.

Ah, heck, you could just replace the on-screen display with an iPad. . .

Anyway, the sky's the limit but i suspect this kind of stuff to come more slowly to the car dash boards than to dedicated devices.

But having said all that and somewhat more to the OP's question, I do think Lexus could improve both their on-line (web-based) application and the Lexus Enform phone app to make it easier to move addresses from a Google search or contacts list into your Destination Folders.

Terry in Sunnyvale
Old 01-15-12, 01:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TerrySmith
Of course, the EDestination and Call-in services require the car to have a connection to a cell phone network with both voice and data service which is a subscription service.

Now Lexus could set things up so that your smart phone could sync to your on-line Efolders via your cell phone data service and also allow you find destinations directly on the phone and then download destinations directly to the navigation system via the USB connection in the car. You would still need your own cell phone data service subscription.

They could set up the car to use your personal cell phone for emergency calls and live destination help though I'd expect a subscription fee to pay for the people who are on call.

In fact, we could sit here and think up a million cool things you could do with your smart phone or iPad connected to the car via USB . . .

But, I think the approach of having the car's software in an external device would open up a pandora's box of complications for Lexus and the users. Problems I can think of would include:
2. That multiple smart phone operating systems (Droid, IOS, MS) are in common use now and the software onboard the car would need to deal with them all.
3. That the smart phone software can easily be updated and versions of the smart phone operating systems change frequently but the software version in the car cannot (easily and transparently).

Anyway, the sky's the limit but i suspect this kind of stuff to come more slowly to the car dash boards than to dedicated devices.

But having said all that and somewhat more to the OP's question, I do think Lexus could improve both their on-line (web-based) application and the Lexus Enform phone app to make it easier to move addresses from a Google search or contacts list into your Destination Folders.

Terry in Sunnyvale
Old 01-15-12, 01:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota is on the right track with Entune. Not sure what to say about Ford Sync
Old 01-16-12, 05:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by TerrySmith

Terry in Sunnyvale