Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

tell your story of what it was like buying a car at a dealer

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-12, 12:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by L3XOTIC
Times have changed and the whole sales approach and process needs to also.
The sales process has changed, at least to some extent....even more-so with used-cars. Though it's still not necessarily a totally squeaky-clean buisness (and there are still a few things in it I'm not impressed with), it's come a long way from the days of ..........................

[img][/img]

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-28-12 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-28-12, 02:39 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

One of my co-workers used to manage dealer service and body shops before getting into IT. At one family-owned dealership, the 20 year old son of the owner walked into his office and told him that if he didn't achieve the top 4-diamond whatever rating from the manufacturer for his service and body shops, he was gone. He and his people busted their humps for the next few months and blew the goals away - making their store one of the top in their zone.

A couple months later, the office manager came into his office and closed the door. She said the manufacturer had sent him an award package for achieving the top rating. Before she could deliver it to him, the old man saw it on her desk and went through it - plaque, AMEX gift cards, all-expense-paid trip to Hawaii, check to offset the taxes, etc. He told her to send it back and get it re-issued in his son's name. My buddy soon walked out after he was also screwed out of his performance bonus.
Old 01-28-12, 10:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
A couple months later, the office manager came into his office and closed the door. She said the manufacturer had sent him an award package for achieving the top rating. Before she could deliver it to him, the old man saw it on her desk and went through it - plaque, AMEX gift cards, all-expense-paid trip to Hawaii, check to offset the taxes, etc. He told her to send it back and get it re-issued in his son's name. My buddy soon walked out after he was also screwed out of his performance bonus.
Two things. First, for the old man to have gone through your buddy's mail (especially if the package wasn't already opened) may (?) have been a Federal offense, with a fine or a prison-term ...I hope your buddy reported it to the U.S. Attorney's office when he left. Second, simply sending it back may not have been enough to actually have it re-issued in someone else's name...it is clear that the automaker wanted your buddy to get it, period.