Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Scosche debuts accessory that blocks all cell phone use in cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-12 | 02:21 PM
Hoovey689

Default Scosche debuts accessory that blocks all cell phone use in cars

Scosche debuts accessory that blocks all cell phone use in cars

Scosche has created a new device designed to disable cell phones while driving. The cellCONTROL uses Bluetooth to block calls the instant a vehicle begins moving. According to the company, users activate the system online, download an application onto their mobile phone and plug a trigger unit directly into the vehicle's OBD-II port. Once installed, the cellCONTROL automatically blocks telephone functions, from ingoing and outgoing calls to SMS, MMS, and internet connectivity. The device isn't a blanket block, however. According to Scosche, the device lets the phone to work as intended once a hands-free headset is detected.

The application will automatically alert an administrator via text or email should the cellCONTROL be deactivated, removed or otherwise tampered with. Scosche says the device is compatible with more than 1,200 devices and any vehicle sold in the U.S. after 1996. Prices start at $129.95. Seems like small price to pay to drive cell-free.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/22/s...e-use-in-cars/
Old 01-22-12 | 05:17 PM
Habious
Pole Position

The problem with this...and it's the same problem with things like auto manufacturers who lock out most functions on factory-installed navigation systems...just because the DRIVER shouldn't be on the cell phone, or use the Nav...there's nothing wrong with the PASSENGER using the cell phone or the Nav.

My 2003 SC430 blocks 90% of nav. functions while the vehicle is in motion. Fortunately, there's a hidden override function that can be activated. I don't do this so I can use it while driving, but so that my wife can punch up things like finding the nearest restaurant, changing our destination en-route, etc.

So, when your daughter's boyfriend is racing to the hospital, because your daughter is having a medical emergency, no one will be able to call you along the way to tell you what's happening. You can find out later.
Old 01-22-12 | 05:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by Habious
The problem with this...and it's the same problem with things like auto manufacturers who lock out most functions on factory-installed navigation systems...just because the DRIVER shouldn't be on the cell phone, or use the Nav...there's nothing wrong with the PASSENGER using the cell phone or the Nav.

My 2003 SC430 blocks 90% of nav. functions while the vehicle is in motion. Fortunately, there's a hidden override function that can be activated. I don't do this so I can use it while driving, but so that my wife can punch up things like finding the nearest restaurant, changing our destination en-route, etc.

So, when your daughter's boyfriend is racing to the hospital, because your daughter is having a medical emergency, no one will be able to call you along the way to tell you what's happening. You can find out later.
i agree. disabling driver from operating some of the features is completely understandable. everyone in the car? that sounds excessive
Old 01-22-12 | 07:44 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

I personally like this better......because you can use it ANYWHERE...I'd luv to switch it on when some idiot is talking on a cell loud near me

http://www.thesignaljammer.com/produ...mmer-Mini.html

Cell Phone + GPS Jammer Mini

The cell phone + GPS jammer mini is a combination version of our popular cell phone blocker mini and GPS Jammer mini. This unit will block cell phone and GPS signals up to 30' away.

An excellent choice to provide both a quiet space around you, as well as protection from unauthorized GPS tracking in and around your person or vehicle.

As with the other two devices, this combination unit features:

- Coverage up to 10 meters (30 feet)
- Works 90 minutes to 2 hours for continuous use on full charge
- Standard Nokia type battery is included
- Standard Nokia type charger included
- Outlet charger (included)
- Red charging light - green in use light
- Automatic shut down circuit to avoid overcharging
Old 01-22-12 | 08:12 PM
Hoovey689

no way!
Old 01-22-12 | 09:00 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

In the end imagine a group of teenage girls driving around. The conversations the other passengers are having can be very distracting , especially considering if we are driving in the car together we more than likely know the same people as well. This means their conversations become the drivers conversations. I think its not a bad thing. Imagine how it was 30 years ago. We all just listened to the radio and , dare I say, talked......
Old 01-22-12 | 10:03 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by rominl
i agree. disabling driver from operating some of the features is completely understandable. everyone in the car? that sounds excessive
Methinks yous missed the part about downloading an app to the fone. That means anyone who doesn't have said app on their fone and hasn't had the unit activated with it won't be affected. This is basically a blocker tethered by bluetooth - but it won't be paired to every fone.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
In the end imagine a group of teenage girls driving around. The conversations the other passengers are having can be very distracting , especially considering if we are driving in the car together we more than likely know the same people as well. This means their conversations become the drivers conversations. I think its not a bad thing. Imagine how it was 30 years ago. We all just listened to the radio and , dare I say, talked......
Talked? Huh?? When I have passengers (rare, but it does happen), unless we decide to cruise out to somewhere and need good driving music, the radio is either very quiet or off and we're talking. On long drives (like Vegas, baby!!), it's good to have conversations or listen to some of the old skool jams we all listened to back in the days of cruising for strange...

Big Mack
Old 01-23-12 | 04:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

pretty useless and pointless
Old 01-23-12 | 08:15 AM
cfrost
Driver School Candidate

Seems like it could be a detriment in emergency situations
Old 01-23-12 | 03:53 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
CL Folding 10,000

I wouldn't mind having one of these. I hate when people get in my car and talk on the phone during the whole ride. With this, I can block their calls and keep the radio playing with no interruptions.