Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hello From Austin Texas

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-12, 06:20 PM
Optimatis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello From Austin Texas

Would just like to say hello from everyone. My journey to my Lexus took a long time on a teacher's salary. I have been a proud owner for 6 years now. I own an '04 ES. I have been very impressed with the brand. I got a great deal. The car runs beautifully. I consistently get over 30mpg on the highway. I've got about 120k on the odometer and there has been no drop off of performance of efficiency. When I take my car in for servicing I have been told on more than one occasion that the engine and components are "Pristine". This has always shocked me due to the mileage. The last time I took the car in for a simple oil change they told me it came out amber brown. The darn thing doesn't even dirty my oil somehow. I truly appreciate my ES even though it's the base model. The ride is like pure silk on Bridgestone Serenities. I have never heard anyone say this before but I have always thought that Lexus once it hit the US replaced the Packard Market ~ in Quality Ride and Reliability. At least that's how I've always heard the old Packard's described.

Glad to be here,

Optimatis
Old 01-23-12, 08:19 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on your Lexus ownership experience, it really can be quite easy, with fairly routine preventive maintenance!
Old 01-23-12, 08:56 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to CL!

Happy to hear from another satisfied Lexus owner!

Don't forget to check out the dedicated ES section of the forums too!
Old 01-24-12, 12:59 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome aboard. Youll love it! This would get more exposure if it was towed to the ES section
Old 01-24-12, 06:39 PM
2jz31
Driver School Candidate

Welcome, i am also new. enjoy your time on the forum.
Old 01-24-12, 07:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Welcome to CL. Glad to have you.

You get 30+ MPG highway with an ES? That's excellent....among the best I've seen for a car like that. I can do about 30 or so highway with my Outback, but that is with less power than an ES...the AWD puts some drag on it.

Where in Austin do you live? Many years ago, long before the city was the big size it is today (now way out past Round Rock), I lived in Austin for a year or so as a teen-ager. Lived on a side-street off Lamar Blvd, and did one year at A.N. McCallum High School (I understand the school's still there). I liked the Texas Hill Country, just off to the west.

(My real home, though, is Northern Virginia/ Washington, D.C. suburbs)

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-28-12 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-26-12, 07:14 PM
Optimatis
Driver School Candidate

Default Subarus

I used to get over 30+ on the highway with my outback also. Fully loaded back folded down with camping or skiing equipment. Top rack loaded with a Thule. I have come to believe that tire choice has so much to do with gas mileage. My outback came with potenzas; my lexus came with turnanzas, when i didn't spend the money and tried to go cheap i saw a drop off of 3-5 mpg. The new Kuhmo eco has been a good choice; 1/2 the price and no drop off in mileage. 100K waranty. It's an all weather tire and in the rare rain we've had this winter I've had the pleasure of hearing water shoot out like a funnel from my new tires.

Of course I should add that I have always been criticized for driving like an old man. So I am very careful about quick take offs. I baby my Lexus never gets above 3,000 rpms.
Old 01-26-12, 07:50 PM
LexFather

Welcome aboard! Nice introduction.

Old 01-26-12, 11:43 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Welcome to the Club.
Old 01-28-12, 12:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Optimatis
Of course I should add that I have always been criticized for driving like an old man. So I am very careful about quick take offs. I baby my Lexus never gets above 3,000 rpms.
Tell those criticizing you to go jump in the lake. You will save gas, avoid tickets, wear-and-tear on your car, and keep your insurance premiums down by driving sensibly.
Old 01-28-12, 06:09 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus. Congrats on your ES. The ES are great cars. Check out the ES forums, you'll learn much about the ES's there. I drove my 1996 ES to over 400K miles before she got rear-ended...

Last edited by Trexus; 09-22-14 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-28-12, 07:47 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Austin, TX?

ClubLexus members now have a place to stay when F1Racing comes to town!

j/k...
Old 01-30-12, 05:44 AM
Optimatis
Driver School Candidate

Default Invitation to Austin F1

Yes, there is a standing offer to everyone on the site for accommodations during F-1. Two extra bedrooms, two extra baths. can take two couples or 10 "European Hostel Style" and I'm by the new high speed train that goes downtown. Or if you need reccomendations of where to stay let me know. I do not believe the Lexus crowds stay in "Hostels" those are reserved for the Saab owners...Great Cars but they are different... and as a former loyal Subaru owner we were also known as a different crowd.
Old 01-30-12, 06:23 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Welcome aboard. This is a great site for sure.
Old 01-30-12, 07:28 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by Optimatis
Yes, there is a standing offer to everyone on the site for accommodations during F-1. Two extra bedrooms, two extra baths. can take two couples or 10 "European Hostel Style" and I'm by the new high speed train that goes downtown. Or if you need reccomendations of where to stay let me know. I do not believe the Lexus crowds stay in "Hostels" those are reserved for the Saab owners...Great Cars but they are different... and as a former loyal Subaru owner we were also known as a different crowd.
I might take up your offer for MotoGP.

Quick Reply: Hello From Austin Texas