Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fusion couldn't outsell Toyota Camry even if Ford wanted it to, which it apparently d

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-12, 03:35 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Fusion couldn't outsell Toyota Camry even if Ford wanted it to, which it apparently d

Fusion couldn't outsell Toyota Camry even if Ford wanted it to, which it apparently doesn't

"I don't think we're very enamored with being Number One just to be Number One," Ford Global Marketing Vice President Jim Farley says of his expectations for the 2013 Ford Fusion. Interest in the Fusion spiked after the 2013 model's premium-look sheetmetal made a splash at this month's Detroit Auto Show, so it's natural to expect that Ford wants to grab the sales volume brass ring. After all, the Ford Taurus was the best-selling car in the U.S. for nearly half of the 1990s, but Farley points out that Ford is "much more enamored with getting the right price point and the right kind of people to buy the car."

Simply put, that means that while Ford is bringing additional Fusion production to the AutoAlliance International facility in Flat Rock, MI, success won't be measured just by total units sold. Besides, even with the added capacity, Ford's 400,000 per year full-tilt capability still trails the 500,000 Camry models Toyota can assemble in Kentucky and Indiana. Ford apparently thinks it's smarter to focus on the technology, style, and efficiency that customers will pay more for, rather than forcing dealers to take more cars than they want and dumping the rest into fleets just to get the sales crown.

Instead of crowing about a short-term metric that ultimately cheapens the brand image and drives down resale values, Ford's posture suggests they want to drive continued profitability by getting more money per sale than the competiton. Finding tech savvy buyers will mean spending heavy dollars on digital marketing campaigns, including social media, and for a change, that may mean strong Fusion sales in markets that don't traditionally embrace the Blue Oval as strongly as the stalwart support of the midwest.

We have to agree that profit-per-vehicle and a good reputation strikes us as a better strategy to long-term health than a strategy based on volume dominance, but we're guessing that Farley and company would still be pleased as punch if the Fusion managed to outsell the competition.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/26/f...-wanted-it-to/
Old 01-26-12, 07:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,361 Likes on 1,548 Posts

what a great looking car!
Old 01-26-12, 09:52 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When Ford and Hyundai started copying other brands design, people call it BEAUTIFUL, GREAT LOOKING, and GORGEOUS. When it's Japanese brands do that, they call it copy cat. I don't know what's wrong with people these days.

Anyway, great looking car, but not that great.
Old 01-26-12, 09:54 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cino
When Ford and Hyundai started copying other brands design, people call it BEAUTIFUL, GREAT LOOKING, and GORGEOUS. When it's Japanese brands do that, they call it copy cat. I don't know what's wrong with people these days.

Who does ford copy?
Old 01-26-12, 10:52 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reminds me of an Aston. A fat, underdeveloped Aston. I'd drive it though
Old 01-26-12, 11:07 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Reminds me of an Aston. A fat, underdeveloped Aston. I'd drive it though
Ford still has a US$70m stake in AM

besides, there's only so many ways to reinvent the wheel
Old 01-26-12, 11:39 PM
VIPG35
Lead Lap

Aston martin grill lol
Old 01-27-12, 02:52 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bad co
Who does ford copy?
Did someone say Aston Martin?

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Ford still has a US$70m stake in AM

besides, there's only so many ways to reinvent the wheel
Doesn't mean they can get a ripped off design from AM.

It's clear that when Toyota make something similar to other brand, people would say "OMG this X brand calls, it wants its headlight back" or whatsoever.

Last edited by cino; 01-27-12 at 03:00 AM.
Old 01-27-12, 03:01 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

you know, it wouldnt be bad for Toyota to sometimes actually copy other cars :-)
Old 01-27-12, 03:12 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

I believe that designers are trying the best ( don't know about Fish face Hyundai and Bland as hell Honda/Acura) to best the previous designs. Their designs might end up looking similar to other design from different companies. From what I see, any designs from Japanese brands, especially Toyota, are hated. If Ford make a similar design to Ferrari or in this case, AM, people will be like " OMG it looks like Aston, I want one."

I was just in before the "OMG it looks like AM, I will sell my left nut for it." LOL
Old 01-27-12, 07:28 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

So it has an Aston grill. That wouldn't stop me from buying this car if it was what i wanted. Car geeks are the ones who get bent out of shape over stuff like this, not the average consumer. In my opinion this is a breath of fresh air in the segment... especially coming from a domestic maker. It has character and that's something sorely lacking at this price point (yes, Camry, I looking at you).
Old 01-27-12, 07:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
you know, it wouldnt be bad for Toyota to sometimes actually copy other cars :-)
hahaha... qft.

cino - while this might have an aston like grille, i hardly think aston will be thinking this family fwd car is some kind of rip-off.
Old 01-27-12, 08:20 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Did someone say Aston Martin?

Doesn't mean they can get a ripped off design from AM.

It's clear that when Toyota make something similar to other brand, people would say "OMG this X brand calls, it wants its headlight back" or whatsoever.
Golly jee, well maybe its because they still own a part of Aston so technically theyre using design cues from other models .
Old 01-27-12, 10:19 AM
LexFather

Exactly. Sadly you can't make that comment on a Lexus forum, which is owned by Toyota without pissing off the vocal non Lexus/toyota owners

The double standards set and stated by people are so sickeningly obvious it is ridiculous.

Quite frankly outside of the grill (which doesn't bug me anyway) I think its fine but not great and of course these are the best photos. Base models with base wheels will have giant wheel gap (you know what we pick on Toyota on) and look horrid. It doesn't look like a Ford which I am assuming they purposely went for this look. I mean geez, we are simply looking at an older Ford Mondeo touched up. Are we that out of touch with Europe? This came out in 2006/2007

This is by far my favorite sedan design by them

Old 01-27-12, 11:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

false dichotomy? what japanese brands/models 'do that', i.e., copy another brand? i think japanese vehicles tend to be pretty unique!

mazda: smiley face grill and sporty / curvy
toyota: ultra conservative / boring
scion: edgy / hip / boxy
lexus: conservative stylish (except LFA which is off the charts incredible outrageous sexy )
nissan: funky / sporty / sexy (z)
infiniti: weird (except G) / who?

Quick Reply: Fusion couldn't outsell Toyota Camry even if Ford wanted it to, which it apparently d