Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Acura RL Details Revealed

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-12, 04:34 PM
St00k
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Acura RL Details Revealed

Acura has confirmed that the next-generation RL flagship luxury sedan will make its world premiere at the New York International Auto Show in April. The car will continue to use a V6 engine, but will gain a hybrid component and use direct-injection as well as an innovative new all-wheel drive system referred to as Sport Hybrid SH-AWD.

Using a V6 hybrid engine up front to power the front wheels, the system will also make use of two electric motors in the rear, individually powering each wheel. The new Sport Hybrid SH-AWD system takes the RL's current all-wheel setup and transforms it into an electronic system, removing the mechanical components and replacing them with an electronic version. Mated to a 7-speed dual-clutch transmission the result will be an engine that delivers V8 power with the fuel economy of a 4-cylinder we are told by Acura Canada senior product planner Emile Korkor.

We were treated to a few renderings of the RL at Honda Canada headquarters and while we can't share any images with you we can say it certainly has some similarity to the current car, but with a more rear-drive designed and large rear fenders - similar to styling cues shown in the new ILX. As for the size of the vehicle, Acura says it will be essentially share dimensions with the current RL, but will gain substantially on the interior. "Think of it as the interior of a 7 Series with the outside space of a 5 Series" said Korkor, stating that the RL will add roominess but not remove the soul of Acura. In addition Acura feels that the size of the RL, not to mention the Sport Hybrid SH-AWD system, will help deliver mid-size agility.
Read the full story at AutoGuide.com
Old 01-28-12, 04:48 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Error 404. Details not found.
Old 01-28-12, 05:11 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

Eh... nothing I read about the body or styling led me to think it will leap away from it's current duds. But I guess we'll wait and see. I think the car NEEDS to be bigger on the outside... to visually differentiate itself from the TL and line up better with it's competitors. The first thing people look at with a car is the exterior, where either it gells in their head and they look further into it, or it clashes and they move on. Very important.
Old 01-28-12, 05:40 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

It might turn some heads if it takes some styling cues from the TSX, but otherwise, zzzZZzzz.
Old 01-28-12, 05:52 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

v8 power to the front wheels? ... ...
Old 01-28-12, 08:12 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

It's an all wheel drive vehicle. It's only going to have "V8" power if the rear motors are running at the same time. With the electric motor off, it's going to be the usual V6 power in the front.
Old 01-28-12, 08:37 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like a huge step backwards. No more mechanical components linking the drivetrain to the rear, it wont be as good as the current SH-AWD, and will drive a lot more like FWD.

They'll sell like 12 of those.
Old 01-28-12, 08:58 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't see it as a step backward at all. Mechanical loss is higher with the current SH-AWD. The new AWD system will actually charge the battery during turns and whatnot.
Old 01-28-12, 09:04 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I don't see it as a step backward at all. Mechanical loss is higher with the current SH-AWD. The new AWD system will actually charge the battery during turns and whatnot.
The current system can send up to 70% of torque to the rear. Knowing Honda, they'll probably put two 5watt motors in the rear powered by a tiny 9 volt battery.
Old 01-28-12, 09:19 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Drivetrain sounds interesting. Exterior sounds kinda boring.
Old 01-28-12, 10:30 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why does Honda/Acura get such hate here? So it's a Lexus site, and? Let's wait and see, they may have something here (or not if it continues with the beak).
Old 01-28-12, 10:44 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

"Using a V6 hybrid engine up front to power the front wheels, the system will also make use of two electric motors in the rear, individually powering each wheel. ... Mated to a 7-speed dual-clutch transmission ...

Sounds like the mirror image of the new NSX drivetrain...could be interesting. And the 7-spd dual clutch would suddenly leap frog Lexus' tranny offerings. I'm sure the car will look less expensive than it is, a la the current gen RL, however.
Old 01-28-12, 10:44 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
Why does Honda/Acura get such hate here? So it's a Lexus site, and? Let's wait and see, they may have something here (or not if it continues with the beak).
I'll tell you why I'm critical. Acura was once on top for a long time, but lost their grip. I've had a few of their cars in my family, so there's a personal sense of let-down. With years of promises and not delivering, I get the feeling I've been had. I guess you have to be a big time car person to feel had by a car company, but it's happened for me at least.
Old 01-29-12, 01:07 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The entry into the premium luxury sedan market requires a V8 ( at least optional ). If Acura is producing it with a V6 or hybrid V6 its really a GS450h competitor rather than competition for the LS, 7 series, s class, and Jag XJ
Old 01-29-12, 02:03 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Another Acura losing its true SH-AWD. The other being the new RDX and a simpler AWD system

Quick Reply: New Acura RL Details Revealed