Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Obama Upsets Foreign Car Makers @ Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-12, 11:29 PM
LexFather

I understand that beating Obama to death is trendy but I don't think some of you are being reasonable. How many times have YOU set up a meeting or appointment or date and for whatever reason(s) you simply could not make what you originally planned to attend. It happened to me all week long, I meant very well but things happen that change the schedule around.

You cannot hold the President of the United States of America to the same standards as anyone else. Even if you don't like the Prez, their daily lives are unlike anything we will do I can only imagine the amount of people they have to reschedule or miss due to conflicts etc.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
popular opinion polls all put him in top 10.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histori...opular_opinion
I think its ironic to blast "sheep" for voting/supporting Obama then using the other "sheep" as a source for Reagan. Once you get past the acting skills (oddly the same skills people bash Obama for) and read the facts, well the story is very different. He was horrible, period and was a huge factor in why our debt is the way it is, why jobs were moved out of the country, why immigation reform never happened, why the middle class stayed the same and the rich got richer and poor got poorer.

Old 02-03-12, 05:58 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I understand that beating Obama to death is trendy but I don't think some of you are being reasonable. How many times have YOU set up a meeting or appointment or date and for whatever reason(s) you simply could not make what you originally planned to attend. It happened to me all week long, I meant very well but things happen that change the schedule around.

You cannot hold the President of the United States of America to the same standards as anyone else. Even if you don't like the Prez, their daily lives are unlike anything we will do I can only imagine the amount of people they have to reschedule or miss due to conflicts etc.

I think its ironic to blast "sheep" for voting/supporting Obama then using the other "sheep" as a source for Reagan. Once you get past the acting skills (oddly the same skills people bash Obama for) and read the facts, well the story is very different. He was horrible, period and was a huge factor in why our debt is the way it is, why jobs were moved out of the country, why immigation reform never happened, why the middle class stayed the same and the rich got richer and poor got poorer.
You are right. The President can't be held to the same standards as everyone else. They must be held to the highest standard which is why you cannot compare this event to your week of unfortaunte meeting mishaps.

Yup, Reagan certainly attributed to our debt, however, still managed to make sure we were carrying the bigger stick (Teddy R.). Then you had a fairly lame duck Bush Sr. (who has done more AFTER his term than during) followed by the opportunity for Clinton to "fix" what you are saying Reagan screwed up. Instead he carried forward those policies much like O is doing with many of the GW policies. So really - is there a difference in politicians these days? I don't think there is are as many would like to imagine when looking at the majority of choices in front of voters these days.

In order to get this back on topic and not get it moved into the debate forum - Foreign automakers had a good point in feeling a bit ticked off. The preparations needed could not have been easy and being snubbed after checking all the boxes couldn't have felt very good.
Old 02-03-12, 07:00 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

The good news is that this "issue" will be old news real soon and a new crisis/outrage will take its place.

The auto show and the auto business will go on.
Old 02-03-12, 07:06 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The good news is that this "issue" will be old news real soon and a new crisis/outrage will take its place.

The auto show and the auto business will go on.
Speaking of... how is the Washington show compared to others around the country? I've been to Philly and NYC but never considered Washington and the wife and I love that city. Could be a road trip next year.
Old 02-03-12, 08:09 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MX5NES350
You are right. The President can't be held to the same standards as everyone else. They must be held to the highest standard which is why you cannot compare this event to your week of unfortaunte meeting mishaps.

Yup, Reagan certainly attributed to our debt, however, still managed to make sure we were carrying the bigger stick (Teddy R.). Then you had a fairly lame duck Bush Sr. (who has done more AFTER his term than during) followed by the opportunity for Clinton to "fix" what you are saying Reagan screwed up. Instead he carried forward those policies much like O is doing with many of the GW policies. So really - is there a difference in politicians these days? I don't think there is are as many would like to imagine when looking at the majority of choices in front of voters these days.

In order to get this back on topic and not get it moved into the debate forum - Foreign automakers had a good point in feeling a bit ticked off. The preparations needed could not have been easy and being snubbed after checking all the boxes couldn't have felt very good.
You are going to **** off people in your life no matter how good your intentions are. Are we really expecting the President to stop by every ****ing booth for pics and we fully expect his schedule to be ran 100% accurately? Seriously?

My post is to show as you stated both sides need help and the constant "OMG Obama pissed and left the lid up" or "OMG OBAMA ate a McDonalds not Burger King" and "OMG OBAMA SUCKS HE DOESNT WATCH SPONGEBOG SQUAREPANTS" is out of control. If you want to complain about real polices, then go ahead cause I sure don't agree with most (as you stated he is running with Bush policies and people in many instances which is hot garbage to me). The utter bull**** chatted about this man is really ridiculous.

Old 02-03-12, 08:31 AM
testmetest
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OMG OBAMA SUCKS HE DOESNT WATCH SPONGEBOG SQUAREPANTS
WTF, is this true?! Humph, he just lost my vote.
Old 02-03-12, 11:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

I think its ironic to blast "sheep" for voting/supporting Obama then using the other "sheep" as a source for Reagan.
not blasting the sheep, i'm blasting this president. you know, the one who appointed a ton of 'czars', the one who rammed through a bailout for GM/Chrysler to buy votes, the one who had commies like van jones working for him, the one who is engaged in endless class warfare and beating on the successful because in his view they don't give their 'fair share' when half the country pays no federal income tax and a millions not only don't pay tax, they get a big refund as well, the one who keeps extending unemployment benefits which has extended the recession, the one who appointed jeff immelt (GE CEO) as jobs czar - the same immelt who moves jobs overseas by the thousands every year, the same president who declared egypt's "spring" so great and now look at it, the one who will be remembered for having let iran get nukes, the one who is spending obscene amounts of taxpayer money CAMPAIGNING NOW instead of running the country, the one whose minions like reid and pelosi rammed through a healhcare bill that is costing trillions and we haven't felt half the effects of yet and will slowly destroy or at least cripple (as intended) the private health insurance industry, the one whose appeasement 'housing programs' have done nothing to help the problem, the one who blocked a pipeline project, the one who blocked anwr oil, the one who didn't close guantanamo like he said he would, the one who has the worst AG ever, the one who stated clearly his energy plans will make utility bills skyrocket, the one who has done nothing to fix education, entitlement programs, the one whose EPA is crippling business, etc., etc.

has he done some good things? yes, got bin laden, and, uh, uh...

he will probably be remembered though as a 'left of center president who presided over the country during a difficult economic time and passed a healthcare reform bill while winding down foreign wars yet continuing bush policies on terrorism'.

obama sees the u.s. 'system' as unfair and must be fixed. the classic fixes he wants though are like robin hood, and have never worked. no matter what he does, the rich will continue to be rich and find ways around his fixes even by buying politicians. the better approach in my view is to tell people who are struggling that if you want to do better, you have to start businesses, do things of value, gain skills, that gravy train union jobs without even graduating from high school are over.

this is what (gasp) china (and india) did... they got out of the way (some) and had a vision of prosperity and growth, not robin hood taking from rich to help the poor.

(Reagan) was horrible, period and was a huge factor in why our debt is the way it is,
but he did end the cold war and restored confidence in our military after carter's embarassing term.

why jobs were moved out of the country,
globalization was going to happen no matter who was running the country.

why immigation reform never happened,
well he did give amnesty to millions, but yes, it didn't get reformed properly, and 9/11 saw to it that the system got royally screwed.

anyway, back to obama and the auto show - he probably didn't even know foreign makers prepped for nothing - probably his crack support team.
Old 02-03-12, 11:46 AM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love it! Any off topic can become politic topic
Old 02-03-12, 02:20 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not blasting the sheep, i'm blasting this president. you know, the one who appointed a ton of 'czars', the one who rammed through a bailout for GM/Chrysler to buy votes, the one who had commies like van jones working for him, the one who is engaged in endless class warfare and beating on the successful because in his view they don't give their 'fair share' when half the country pays no federal income tax and a millions not only don't pay tax, they get a big refund as well, the one who keeps extending unemployment benefits which has extended the recession, the one who appointed jeff immelt (GE CEO) as jobs czar - the same immelt who moves jobs overseas by the thousands every year, the same president who declared egypt's "spring" so great and now look at it, the one who will be remembered for having let iran get nukes, the one who is spending obscene amounts of taxpayer money CAMPAIGNING NOW instead of running the country, the one whose minions like reid and pelosi rammed through a healhcare bill that is costing trillions and we haven't felt half the effects of yet and will slowly destroy or at least cripple (as intended) the private health insurance industry, the one whose appeasement 'housing programs' have done nothing to help the problem, the one who blocked a pipeline project, the one who blocked anwr oil, the one who didn't close guantanamo like he said he would, the one who has the worst AG ever, the one who stated clearly his energy plans will make utility bills skyrocket, the one who has done nothing to fix education, entitlement programs, the one whose EPA is crippling business, etc., etc.

has he done some good things? yes, got bin laden, and, uh, uh...

he will probably be remembered though as a 'left of center president who presided over the country during a difficult economic time and passed a healthcare reform bill while winding down foreign wars yet continuing bush policies on terrorism'.

obama sees the u.s. 'system' as unfair and must be fixed. the classic fixes he wants though are like robin hood, and have never worked. no matter what he does, the rich will continue to be rich and find ways around his fixes even by buying politicians. the better approach in my view is to tell people who are struggling that if you want to do better, you have to start businesses, do things of value, gain skills, that gravy train union jobs without even graduating from high school are over.

this is what (gasp) china (and india) did... they got out of the way (some) and had a vision of prosperity and growth, not robin hood taking from rich to help the poor.

but he did end the cold war and restored confidence in our military after carter's embarassing term.

globalization was going to happen no matter who was running the country.

well he did give amnesty to millions, but yes, it didn't get reformed properly, and 9/11 saw to it that the system got royally screwed.

anyway, back to obama and the auto show - he probably didn't even know foreign makers prepped for nothing - probably his crack support team.
Lemme guess. Your not going to vote for him. Maybe president Gingrich or Romney will fare better at next years show.
Old 02-03-12, 06:09 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

At this point I don't know whatcha y'all takin' about. So here is a bunny with a pancake on its head. I'll see you in the next Auto Show thread:

Old 02-03-12, 06:42 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Guys,, this thread is spinning out of control. Let's have fun again and get back on topic. Yeah, he probably did tick off ALOT of foreign automakers, but really,,,,they flew in executives from all around the country in HOPES that he would stop and talk to them about their latest green products. I didn't read ANYWHERE in the link that they were SCHEDULED a meeting with him; and being who he is you most certainly have to schedule a meeting with him unless he decides to stop and make a point on his own. This man was doing a simple walk-thru at an automotive event. He IS still a car guy, none the less. Yeah, he did show a little favoritism toward the American brands, but honestly after spending BILLIONS of taxpayer dollars ON the American brands, his ranting about them was simply an attempt to assure the American people that their money was well spent. Whether or not you believe it, is a matter of opinion.