Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan debuts 2013 Altima 38MPG, $21,500

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-12, 05:52 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
everyone's trying to get stylish now that hyundai showed it can be done with mainstream success, so hyundai is exactly right.

But not only stylish sells as toyota has proven with the butt ugly plain new camry. The last gen was more stylish outside.
No Hyundai is exactly wrong. Everyone continues to get more stylish and offer better MPG, Hyundai thinks they created that concept? Sorry you and others are impressed with knock-off styling and a Klingon face. Its funny they don't mention the two cars that continue to outsell them, the Camry and Accord. They should stay humble b/c not to long ago their name was literally the worst name in the car biz with Dahatsui, Eagle, Kia and some people still won't consider one.

The Altima used the knock-off recipe for years and it works. The first gen was very stylish at the time looking like a baby Infiniti J30. The last 2 gens mixed Lexus Altezzas with GS styling. The Altima has been stylish for sometime now so not sure what they are talking about. Somehow going overboard or for a brand to finally get stylish means they started something? The Fusion added a bold grill for its MMC. The Mazda 6 is very stylish with its aggressive fenders and overall stylish exterior that the internet fails to remember.

Then is Hyundai even aware of Ford of Europe? They have had very good styling for years now and what is happening is America is gaining that style and those cars. The last few Mondeo's embarrass a Hyundai sedan in style and most others in class not named Peugeot. I guess though they are only intent on talking about the American market and saying between the lines "people that buy our Sonata's really don't know **** about cars".

Let's be clear. All these firsts are firsts for Hyundai, not for everyone else. Yes its working for them but some of us actually remember cars before Hyundai decided to get their **** together.

Last edited by LexFather; 05-09-12 at 06:02 PM.

Old 05-09-12, 07:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Peugeot 508 is pretty ugly :-)
Old 05-09-12, 07:57 PM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Mondeo competes with the i40:

It's doing pretty well over there.
Old 05-09-12, 10:57 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
Peugeot 508 is pretty ugly :-)
Actually imho, it's one of the best-looking French design cars I've seen to date (along with the Citroen DS5, Renault Megane and Laguna).

P.S.
Off-topic:

Haha that was funny

Though in seriousness, the WTF here means "World Taekwando Federation".

However, the hotel Hyundai is real. The Hyundai Group is not limited to just making automobiles but they are also involved in shipping, hotels, finance, etc. (much like how the LG and Samsung group are not limited to just electronics..........well in Korea at least)

Old 05-15-12, 04:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2013 Nissan Altima production kicks off in Smyrna, aims to pass Camry for #1

2013 Nissan Altima production kicks off in Smyrna, aims to pass Camry for #1

Nissan started Job One production for the 2013 Altima sedan at its Smyrna, Tennessee plant today.

Nissan has big plans for the fifth-generation Altima, which was the number-two selling car in the United States in 2011. The company is adding a third shift at Smyna, and shifting models around between this plant and its Canton, Mississippi plant with an eye toward the Altima passing the Toyota Camry as the top-selling model in America.

Toyota sold 308,510 Camrys last year, compared with Nissan's 268,981 Altimas.

"We haven't built and designed this car the way we have, and made all these changes with a goal of being number-two," said Nissan Americas vice chairman Bill Krueger. Krueger admits that the consumer will vote on whether the Altima becomes the top selling car. "But we are ready to make this car the top seller if the customer agrees."

Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam chimed in on the rivalry. "We are going to give the folks down in Georgetown [Kentucky] a serious run for the money," said Haslam, speaking of Toyota's plant in the neighboring state.

Krueger says he is not willing to cut and slash profit margins to chase the top-seller number for Altima. Nissan has long been more aggressive in incentive spending than its Japanese rivals in large part because it does not have the brand cachet and reputation for durability and quality that Toyota and Honda have.

Nissan built 570,000 vehicles in the U.S. last year and is adding a third shift to Smyrna. Nissan executives, however, won't pinpoint what total capacity is for Smyrna and Canton for competitive reasons. But it definitely has the capacity to pass the Camry's sales, as it builds Altimas at both plants.

Driving impressions of the 2013 Altima are embargoed until May 25, but we are allowed to tell you about a new feature we think is pretty cool. The tire pressure monitoring system not only tells the driver specifically what tire is low, but when you inflate each tire to the ideal, manufacturer-specified level, the car's horn sounds. Pretty neat, huh?.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/15/n...to-pass-camry/
Old 05-15-12, 08:53 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

I guess we'll have to wait for the overall buying public's opinion of the restyled Altima. I know most here will say "omg no waiz, camry ftw" (i keed i keed ) But if the reception is well i'd say the Alty has a shot. If not 1st, then maybe close the gap between 1st and 2nd.
Old 05-15-12, 09:17 PM
doublehh03
Pole Position

The only way is to up those incentives, which are already high.
Old 05-15-12, 09:25 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Interior is pretty, but that grill...
Old 05-15-12, 09:55 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

Indeed, it will be very interesting to see how this plays out. I think the new Altima is bristling with style, whereas the current Camry fell asleep for it's last re-do. As much as I like Toyota, I am kind of hoping Nissan beats them here. Toyota needs to step it up a few more notches. We all know they have the ability to do so.
Old 05-16-12, 06:46 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the Altima has a shot at the #1 spot, personally. The 7th generation Camry is good, but not as good as it should have been, so Toyota left the door open a bit...we'll see if Nissan can sneak in
Old 05-16-12, 06:55 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The Altima just may pass Camry in sales.I find the new Camry ugly.The Altima is much better looking but a Camry beautiful or ugly will sell.
The Camry has some great discounting too.
Old 05-16-12, 07:41 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I'd say it's entirely possible but Altima will also be battling the new Accord and Fusion for the title as well.
Old 05-16-12, 12:36 PM
LexFather

The Altima sales currently include coupes. Since they plan to drop the coupe I doubt it will pass the Camry.

I have to say I like it and the pricing is very good to me. Also I love the neat low pressure feature. So of course the sensors come on when the air is low but most don't walk around with a tire gauge. The Altima will literally Honk the Horn to let you know that you put in enough air.

That is some Apple ****. Great job Nissan.

Old 05-16-12, 01:11 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The Altima sales currently include coupes. Since they plan to drop the coupe I doubt it will pass the Camry.

I have to say I like it and the pricing is very good to me. Also I love the neat low pressure feature. So of course the sensors come on when the air is low but most don't walk around with a tire gauge. The Altima will literally Honk the Horn to let you know that you put in enough air.

That is some Apple ****. Great job Nissan.
Fortunately, the new coupe will show up about a year from now. If sedan sales are solid from the start the addition of the coupe will add even more sales.
Old 05-16-12, 07:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

So, the mightly Honda Accord has finally been knocked out of second-place. That hasn't happened since the Ford Taurus models of the 1990s, when Accords, Camrys, and Tauruses all battled for the top-spot......and, of course, a lot of the Taurus sales were fleet-rentals.

(though, depending at which source you looked at, the Chevy Cruze may have held the #2 spot for at least part of last year)

Now, when the Altima knocks the Camry out of first place, hell will completely freeze over.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-16-12 at 07:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Nissan debuts 2013 Altima 38MPG, $21,500