Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan debuts 2013 Altima 38MPG, $21,500

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-12, 07:12 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,862 Likes on 2,418 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
Interior is pretty, but that grill...
The entire front of the car looks terrible to my eyes, ugh. Interior does look nice though.
Old 05-16-12, 07:22 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
The entire front of the car looks terrible to my eyes, ugh. Interior does look nice though.
Yeah, if you compare to the outgoing more. Outgoing model looks quite handsome.
Old 05-16-12, 08:41 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

More stuff

Four fun aspects about the new Altima that Nissan detailed to us prior to the car’s production launch today at its Smyrna, Tenn., assembly plant:

1. The tech package includes an advanced backup camera with a viewing angle of almost 180 degrees. Nissan uses advanced image-processing software that enables the camera to provide moving-object detection when the Altima is in reverse, helping to prevent you from backing over the neighbor’s kid – or worse yet, the neighbor’s dog. This eliminates the cost of radar-based hardware most companies use to impart moving-object detection. But in addition, Nissan’s included an automatic washer and dryer for the camera lens, assuring an always-clear view.

2. Tire-pressure monitors are required for all new vehicles. But most everyday models get a rudimentary system that more or less just illuminates an idiot light or warning message if a tire’s pressure gets low. It’s then up to you to scramble around the car with a pressure gauge to figure out which tire needs the air.

The 2013 Altima’s standard 4-inch display screen in the gauge cluster shows the pressure for each individual tire. Nothing new about that, even though it’s still pretty rare for affordable cars. But engineers went one step further: once you’ve determined, say, that the right-rear tire is the one requiring air, no need for a gauge. The Altima’s four-way flashes blink to let you know you’re filling the correct tire. Then when the proper pressure is achieved, the horn burps. Over-inflate and the flashes start blinking again. A marvelous feature now that plenty of gas stations have the el-cheapo compressors that don’t include an inflation-pressure readout.

3. More than half of the states in the Union have laws that require you to turn on your headlights if it’s raining. But it’s easy to forget when it’s daylight outside. The new Altima’s linked the two: if the wipers run for four consecutive wipes, they signal the headlights to engage. Nobody we talked to was quite sure yet whether the feature works if the wipes are running in intermittent mode – we’ll get back to you on that.

4. The 2013 Altima’s going to be the lightest car in the class, starting at just more than 3,100 pounds for the 2.5-liter four-cylinder car. Nissan promises that, as well as an efficient, new-generation continuously variable automatic transmission and a host of other fuel-saving features also will make it the most economical car in the class: 38 miles per gallon on the highway. Better yet, engineers are promising a 0-60 gallop of 7.14 seconds. And yes, that’s for the 4-cylinder car.

– Bill Visnic, senior editor, Edmunds.com

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...ol-things.html
Old 05-16-12, 08:48 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ Wow some nifty features! It's nice to see Nissan putting this sort of technology to work in the Altima!
Old 05-16-12, 09:19 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
^ Wow some nifty features! It's nice to see Nissan putting this sort of technology to work in the Altima!
Pretty nifty indeed. Makes you wonder how it's going to transfer/improve and what else will be added to the next gen Maxima.
Old 05-16-12, 09:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Altima is cool with its lower pricing and large incentives, but IMHO, Nissans do not hold up as well as Toyota or Honda, I have one.

Since new model will be new, it will have smaller incentives and larger price... i actually wonder how it will do then.
Old 05-16-12, 11:18 PM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf
Altima is cool with its lower pricing and large incentives, but IMHO, Nissans do not hold up as well as Toyota or Honda, I have one.

Since new model will be new, it will have smaller incentives and larger price... i actually wonder how it will do then.
It won't do as well. The high sell #s Nissan got the 6-7 months prior to the drop last month was due to several factors:

1) fast recovery from the earthquakes compared to their Japanese rivals. Nissan was always the #3/#4 in the segment. With Toyota/Honda struggling to get back onto its feet, their sales shot up

2) HIGH incentives. It's ridiculous how much you can get off of an Altima. $3-4k without even any bargaining. And dealers around my area in OC was even giving out prices like $17k for a brand new Altima. That's just ridiculous.

So I doubt they will stop giving out incentives, or else their sales most likely will drop. Or it won't be consistently 30-40k that they had been getting, and expect to get with this new model.

You can see what the Accord sales were last month when the company FINALLY started to give incentives as it's trying to clear inventory for the next model(Honda usually is stringent on those, and one of the lowest in the industry) and it shot straight up to 35k.
Old 05-16-12, 11:30 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice car with some nifty features nice to see Nissan advancing , but I dunno the styling doesn't seem 2013 to me, but hey that's what sells look at the Camry and Accord!
Old 05-17-12, 01:30 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Debating which base model, striped out Camry or Altima is a better buy, I think the core customers purchasing these cars are flocking to the dealer who's commercial had the lower lease payment.

The current Altima is available for 169 lease, the new Camry is floating around 229 a month, my buddy just leased a new Camry for 99bucks for the next 3 years, so dealers are aggressive with these bread and butter cars
Old 05-17-12, 05:53 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rkyat
Pretty nifty indeed. Makes you wonder how it's going to transfer/improve and what else will be added to the next gen Maxima.
Not only the next gen Maxima, this sets the bar higher for every other manufacturer making a car in the same class at the Altima! Competition is a beautiful thing
Old 05-17-12, 11:31 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a camry die hard fan, but out of all generations of Camry, the current one is the only one I don't like at all. I don't like the designs of all previous gen Altimas, but the new one looks handsome. I would say Altima might have a chance this time.
Old 05-18-12, 12:59 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Was there any news as to an SE-R version like the 3rd Gen? Id assume no due to the cvt?
Old 05-18-12, 01:27 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Altima - Camry stare down.

Just have to see how this plays out with the customers.

Old 05-24-12, 09:17 PM
modernx
Rookie

Default First Drive: 2013 Nissan Altima

Originally Posted by IL
What's the best-selling car in the country? Easy, right? Toyota Camry.

But what's No. 2? Honda Accord? Ford Fusion? Hyundai Sonata? Good guesses all, but wrong.

It's the Nissan Altima. That's right, Nissan's best-seller is the car that people rarely factor into the midsize sedan equation. Even we'll admit the Altima is one of those cars that slips from our minds sometimes, that is until we drive one again. Then it's, "Whoa, this car is really good — and a serious hot rod. Handles well, too."

If this fifth-generation major makeover doesn't make the Altima pop instantly to your mind in the same fashion as the Camry and Accord, it probably never will. Because the 2013 Nissan Altima just got even better. Quite a bit better, in fact
FULL ARTICLE

Originally Posted by C&D
As many an Elvis impersonator can attest, an entire career can be cobbled out of a likeness to someone famous. In the car world, affordable models often copy the look of more expensive machines to enhance their appeal. Some might call that cheesy; others call it democratization of design.

When the original Nissan Altima launched 20 years ago, it wore a toddler-sized version of the Infiniti J30’s rhinestone jumpsuit. That first Altima was smaller than its competitors and a bit rough around the edges; it had fake wood the color of Cheetos; and it came bearing a completely unknown name. None of that mattered. It started at $13,349, but the world thought you’d bought a $34,895 J30. Nissan sold 120,000 Altimas that first year, 20 percent more than planned
FULL ARTICLE
Old 05-24-12, 09:32 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

You know, I like it as a compromise to the Camry's blandness and the Sonata's overwrought styling.

It was never a master at any single quality, but vanilla works well in the midsized bracket...

Quick Reply: Nissan debuts 2013 Altima 38MPG, $21,500