Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Catching up to Lexus??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-12, 01:43 PM
rxsuperman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyundai Catching up to Lexus??

Even though Hyundai vehicles on not considered luxury class like Lexus, purely from a reliability and performance standpoint, have Hyundai vehicles either caught up or near catching up with Lexus' reliability and performance in light of the fact that Hyundai has won numerous auto industry awards in the past couple years? Your views?
Old 02-08-12, 02:09 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Not sure why everyone jumps at the whole Hyundai Lexus thing. Hyundai took a winning formula implemented by Toyota/Lexus 20 years ago and used them as a template for success. So what if some Hyundais perform better, the point is competition which drives perfection. Just because someone had caught up doesnt mean the end of the world. Besides its not like Lexus doesn't still win awards in relaiblily and customer satisfaction because they do. There will come a time when some automakers slip, and other times they rebound. Look at Ford, Chrysler and GM. Many of their products are on point and highly competitive. If your worried that Toyota/Lexus has lost its edge, don't. Look at the FR-S, LFA, and go drive a new GS F-sport. In the next 18 months Lexus is going to shake up the industry once again with a revamped lineup. It's good that Hyundai and Buick had pushed themselves to a point of comparison with Lexus tech and engineering, but that's the beauty of it, once they play their cards, Lexus is still holding theirs. Advantage Lexus .
Old 02-08-12, 02:19 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Not sure why everyone jumps at the whole Hyundai Lexus thing. Hyundai took a winning formula implemented by Toyota/Lexus 20 years ago and used them as a template for success. So what if some Hyundais perform better, the point is competition which drives perfection. Just because someone had caught up doesnt mean the end of the world. Besides its not like Lexus doesn't still win awards in relaiblily and customer satisfaction because they do. There will come a time when some automakers slip, and other times they rebound. Look at Ford, Chrysler and GM. Many of their products are on point and highly competitive. If your worried that Toyota/Lexus has lost its edge, don't. Look at the FR-S, LFA, and go drive a new GS F-sport. In the next 18 months Lexus is going to shake up the industry once again with a revamped lineup. It's good that Hyundai and Buick had pushed themselves to a point of comparison with Lexus tech and engineering, but that's the beauty of it, once they play their cards, Lexus is still holding theirs. Advantage Lexus .
Agree. I would add that Hyundai's, although newer attractive designs, are still Hyundai and do cut corners in order to get to the competitive price point they do. The wood interior isn't as refined (or as solid), leather is not as high grade, etc, etc, etc. I DO, however, really commend Hyundai on what they have done. They successfully polished a turd so to speak. A car that was known to be 'cheap' and made it into a real world luxury competitive threat to the great ones. I wouldn't say they are targeting Lexus - they are going after EVERYONE. At this moment I would say Honda (Acura) is more apt to lose more to Hyundai than Lexus due to Honda's consumer standing beginning to slip more and more whether due to design elements or reliability or just a turnig point in the market.
Old 02-08-12, 02:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by rxsuperman
Even though Hyundai vehicles on not considered luxury class like Lexus, purely from a reliability and performance standpoint, have Hyundai vehicles either caught up or near catching up with Lexus' reliability and performance in light of the fact that Hyundai has won numerous auto industry awards in the past couple years? Your views?
what numerous awards for reliability and performance? hyundai is not rated as well as Toyota in dependability surveys... not sure what it has to do with Lexus at all.
Old 02-08-12, 03:13 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

hyundai is no where near close. Their reliability is totally still up in the air. Their new "improved" cars has been out for what, 4 years now? that's no where enough to asset reliability, especially when compared to lexus.

In addition, have you not noticed that some of the amazing achievements of Hyundai have been deem fraudulent? Like how the EPA is requesting Hyundai to retest their mpg ratings because no one has been able to acheive them in real world situations?

And performance...what performance vehicle does Hyundai have? the genesis coupe? Getting 306 hp from a 3.8L is not really top performance
Old 02-08-12, 03:17 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeucated
hyundai is no where near close. Their reliability is totally still up in the air. Their new "improved" cars has been out for what, 4 years now? that's no where enough to asset reliability, especially when compared to lexus.

In addition, have you not noticed that some of the amazing achievements of Hyundai have been deem fraudulent? Like how the EPA is requesting Hyundai to retest their mpg ratings because no one has been able to acheive them in real world situations?

And performance...what performance vehicle does Hyundai have? the genesis coupe? Getting 306 hp from a 3.8L is not really top performance
Not a Hyundai fan but the '12 Genesis 3.8-liter direct-injected V6 produces 333 hp and 291 pound-feet of torque..
The new GS a disappointing 306 horsepower and 277 pound-feet of torque.
Old 02-08-12, 03:22 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Not a Hyundai fan but the '12 Genesis 3.8-liter direct-injected V6 produces 333 hp and 291 pound-feet of torque..
The new GS a disappointing 306 horsepower and 277 pound-feet of torque.
At the crank. They can't put 80% of power to the wheels. FRS proves it can put 85% of power to the rear wheels, that's impressive.

Note, Lexus use 7 years old engine for the current GS model.

Edit: Gen Coupe has 348 hp and 295tq. Let's see how much power loses at the wheels.

Last edited by cino; 02-08-12 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-08-12, 03:28 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cino
At the crank. They can't put 80% of power to the wheels. FRS proves it can put 85% of power to the rear wheels, that's impressive.

Note, Lexus use 7 years old engine for the current GS model.

Maybe but I'm reading the Genesis is quicker 0-60 and in the quarter mile.
New generation and the same old but good 3.5L.
Should have another 30 HP or so with the new generation,IMO.
Old 02-08-12, 03:38 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Maybe but I'm reading the Genesis is quicker 0-60 and in the quarter mile.
New generation and the same old but good 3.5L.
Should have another 30 HP or so with the new generation,IMO.
Toyota care more about reliability. If they want to start hp war, they can make 3JZ and tune it all the way up to 600 hp stock. Cost of producing inline6 is cheaper than V6 though. It's not impossible for Toyota since they spend ton of money on R&D. The question is, how many people would buy it if they Toyota produce one?

I can see new engine will be a bit more powerful. It's not always about hp for Lexus, it's about refinement.
Old 02-08-12, 03:44 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota care more about reliability. If they want to start hp war, they can make 3JZ and tune it all the way up to 600 hp stock. Cost of producing inline6 is cheaper than V6 though. It's not impossible for Toyota since they spend ton of money on R&D. The question is, how many people would buy it if they Toyota produce one?

I can see new engine will be a bit more powerful. It's not always about hp for Lexus, it's about refinement.
I understand but you have a new generation vehicle and go from 303 to 306 HP?
C'mon,go 330 or so.It's a new design vehicle.
Just my .02.
Old 02-08-12, 03:48 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

I understand but you have a new generation vehicle and go from 303 to 306 HP?
C'mon,go 330 or so.It's a new design vehicle.
Just my .02.
LOL I understand that, but new GS still use the carried over engine. Wait until the new engine is out. Without new engine, new GS is still a performer because it's a bit lighter with 3 more hp.
Old 02-08-12, 03:55 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

LOL I understand that, but new GS still use the carried over engine. Wait until the new engine is out. Without new engine, new GS is still a performer because it's a bit lighter with 3 more hp.

The 3 HP gain may be from true dual exhaust now(if what I've read is true).Though I would think the gain would be a bit more.
Old 02-08-12, 04:36 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

oops, thanks the correction joeb427.

I can't say I am not a little bias towards lexus (we are on a lexus forum afterall), but I do not think Hyundai stacks up with lexus quite evenly yet.
Old 02-08-12, 04:45 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by edgeucated
oops, thanks the correction joeb427.

I can't say I am not a little bias towards lexus (we are on a lexus forum afterall), but I do not think Hyundai stacks up with lexus quite evenly yet.

I agree.
Hyundai isn't close.
Old 02-08-12, 05:07 PM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Hyundai as a brand competes with Toyota. They do have cars that compete with Lexus such as the Genesis and Equus and to an extent the 2012 Azera.

Hyundai has been winning numerous awards lately however. They won consumer loyalist award right ahead of Lexus and Poreche. And the Genesis sedan did win 21 separate awards when it was introduced including the 2009 North American Car of the Year award. The same award given to the 2012 Hyundai Elantra.

He might have been talking about that Hyundai Elantra GT that just debuted at the Chicago show today. It has a lot of standard premium features like the rear backup camera and dual zone climate control. Hyundai doesn't compare to Lexus but Toyota should be on notice.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Catching up to Lexus??