Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Lexus RX Facelift Gets Spindle Grille and New F-Sport Variant

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-12, 10:55 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by asoksevil
It's located on the steering wheel:

I hate icons that you can't guess the meaning of without asking or reading a manual. Leave incomprehensible icons to the Europeans and stick to clear texts please, Lexus.
Old 04-04-12, 11:01 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

It's located on the steering wheel:
Originally Posted by ydooby
I hate icons that you can't guess the meaning of without asking or reading a manual. Leave incomprehensible icons to the Europeans and stick to clear texts please, Lexus.
That's the sub-menu button. AFS, ECT SNOW, Park Assist are among the options in the menu. Are you saying Sport mode is in the Sub-Menu?
Old 04-04-12, 11:07 AM
asoksevil
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
That's the sub-menu button. AFS, ECT SNOW, Park Assist are among the options in the menu. Are you saying Sport mode is in the Sub-Menu?
It has to be that :S

Look what Lexus' press release says:

Supplementing the Normal and Eco drive modes of the full hybrid powertrain’s E-CVT intelligent electronic transmission, a new Sport mode further improves the performance and dynamic ability of the RX 450h. These three drive modes can be selected through the steering wheel, whilst the EV mode (electric only) can be now activated through a separate EV switch.
Since this is the only reasonable button for that I believe it has to be.
Old 04-04-12, 11:10 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Ahh OK now that icon makes sense to me (though a clear text that reads MENU is still preferred).

But then it would be extremely cumbersome if the Sport mode is buried in a sub-menu. I personally always switch to Sport mode before entering/exiting a highway ramp and then immediately switch back to normal once I'm in the straight again. Imagine doing that by having to scroll through a sub-menu in the instant of entering a corner.

Last edited by ydooby; 04-04-12 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-04-12, 11:19 AM
Hoovey689

It has to be that :S

Look what Lexus' press release says:

Since this is the only reasonable button for that I believe it has to be.
Thanks for clearing that up

Originally Posted by ydooby
Ahh OK now that icon makes sense to me.

But then it would be extremely cumbersome if the Sport mode is buried in a sub-menu. I personally always switch to Sport mode before entering/exiting a highway ramp and then immediately switch back to normal once I'm in the straight again. Imagine doing that by having to scroll through a sub-menu in the instant of entering a corner.
Yeah the sub menu is a bit of a pain. You hit the sub menu button then use the "up down" feature on the enter button to scroll and find the setting you want then you depress the enter button and voila feature on/off. takes a bit of getting used to. Most my guests have no idea what the button is for
Old 04-04-12, 12:16 PM
modernx
Rookie

/
Old 04-04-12, 12:20 PM
Hoovey689

Love the sport pedals and aluminum trim over the glove box
Old 04-04-12, 12:48 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

8-speed?! Wow that is insane.
Old 04-04-12, 05:39 PM
LexFather

They got the interior RIGHT with a mix of aluminum and Blackwood!!! I like the F-sport in the silver better than the black.

F-sport, wow, great job Lexus.

Old 04-04-12, 05:50 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
They got the interior RIGHT with a mix of aluminum and Blackwood!!! I like the F-sport in the silver better than the black.

F-sport, wow, great job Lexus.
Just imagine how good the rest of the new Lexus lineup is going to be over the next few years .

Haters and internet critics will run low on things to hate about .
Old 04-04-12, 05:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

RX is finally sick looking.... F-Sport and generally spindle have been really good to RX.

if i had to find bad point, then the back of RX F-Sport is nowhere as aggressive as front... some larger spoiler and underside effects would help a lot.

nevertheless, this is finally an RX i could see myself in. back in 2008 when i was deciding between RX and GS, it was no contest, despite RX being better financial decision, i could not get myself to get it over GS.
Old 04-04-12, 05:55 PM
cheewy
Driver School Candidate

Can't wait to see in the showrooms. This really is the year for Lexus to put a spin on things. I'm sure they will be attracting a younger age group with the fresh appeal of their lineups now. Thats been one of my biggest reasons for staying away afte I had my first IS300. But now, I think its time to return and leave the Euro scene.
Old 04-04-12, 08:02 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

While I still love the RX in whatever form, I can't help wondering about the design language spoken at Lexus. It appears that latter generation RX's are progressing downhill in the perception of luxury and exclusivity, especially now that everyone from Kia to MB is copying the format. Lexus needs to better define the mission of the RX.

Maybe it's just me, but I have something of a problem with putting black leather and metal in a CUV and calling it "sport". Sport connotes some level of performance, for which the RX platform was never designed. It was and is a superb tourer, and a highly competent urban vehicle, but "sport" seems to be a stretch. A canyon carver it is not, thanks to all of the other features that make the RX so good at what it does best; deliver driver and up to three passengers to their destination swiftly, silently, and in comfort - with a fair amount of luggage on board. That could describe most of the Lexus line, but the RX is unique in that it delivers those qualities with a bit of soft-road capability and all weather sure-footedness.

I appreciate the effort to incorporate the new Lexus signature "spindle" grill into the RX, and it looks good there. My concern is with the pretension to a "performance" image, which given the CUV and occasional (in AWD trim) soft-road capability, necessitating a somewhat high CG and longer-than-most suspension travel, is going to disappoint and possibly contaminate the F-Sport image.
Old 04-05-12, 12:11 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

So the Hybrid model will not get F package in the US? :\
Old 04-05-12, 01:30 AM
asoksevil
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cino
So the Hybrid model will not get F package in the US? :\
Neither the GSh or RXh are getting it.

That's a shame, knowing that the US the is the biggest market for Lexus, Lexus should offer their whole line-up with all their options.

Quick Reply: 2013 Lexus RX Facelift Gets Spindle Grille and New F-Sport Variant