Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Possible sale of Ducati by the end of the year. UPDATE: Volkswagen has bought Ducati

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-12, 03:29 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Possible sale of Ducati by the end of the year. UPDATE: Volkswagen has bought Ducati

Ducati Owner Wants To Sell Motorcycle Brand This Year -Report
Published February 13, 2012
News Link

MILAN – The owner of Ducati is looking to sell the Italian motorcycle maker this year, and possible buyers include Volkswagen AG (VOW.XE), BMW AG (BMW.XE) and Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. (500520.BY), according to a news report Monday.

Investindustrial, controlled by the Bonomi family, expects to raise up to EUR1 billion for Ducati, the Financial Times reports, citing the head of the private equity firm, Andrea Bonomi.

It prefers to sell it to a single buyer rather than list its stock on the market because its sees Ducati needing a strong backer to help it expand abroad, it adds.

Ducati, maker of premium and professional racing bikes, was in crisis in 2005 before a big stake in the company was bought by Investindustrial.

Deutsche Bank AG (DBK.XE), Goldman Sachs Group Inc (GS) and Banca IMI of Intesa Sanpaolo SpA (ISP.MI) are the joint global coordinators of a possible sale.

So, who has a billion Euros they want to spend with me?
Old 02-13-12, 03:41 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to see BMW Motorrad pick up Ducati and churn out solid bikes.
Old 02-13-12, 07:20 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
So, who has a billion Euros they want to spend with me?
I'll go halvsies with you, if you go halvsies with me on buying Chrysler out from under Fiat.

Look, its automotive monopoly
Old 02-13-12, 07:41 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think Mercedes would be the first to jump on a sale since they already have a relationship.
Old 02-13-12, 10:28 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by Koma
I would think Mercedes would be the first to jump on a sale since they already have a relationship.
I thought so too, but Mercedes has no motorcycle ties other than sponsorships.

BMW, of course, has a full line of motorcycles and scooters, but without the racing pedigree that Ducati possesses. It would help the breath and depth of BMW's touring and enduro bikes by adding championship racing bikes to their portfolio.

VW on the other hand has partial ownership of Suzuki's cars and motorcycles. VW would benefit extending into the motorcycle business by taking on Ducati. However, I think VW's venture into the motorcycling business will be an experimental one. It may be engineering lucrative, but not profitable unless if VW decides to build cheaper, more functional city motorcycles.

I would be surprised if Toyota gets in the mix, because of their ties to Yamaha. However, this is truly a long shot.
Old 03-07-12, 03:40 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

UPDATE:

Ducati was purchased by Volkswagen!
03/07/2012
GP Inside News Link

While several names, including BMW, Mahindra, Hero Motocorp ... had been raised for the eventual redemption of Borgo Panigale, it seems (and we stress the conditional), whether that VW is finally the happy owner.

This information comes directly from a staff member of Ducati, who prefers to (and will be readily understood) remain anonymous.

He said the visit in Borgo Panigale was held last week, and the funds would be already happening. Still according to him, an official statement should be published in the coming hours.

Ain't official, but VW was always first in mind to purchase Ducati.

Maybe they'll start selling motorcycles at car dealerships.

I can't wait for the Ducati-Lamborghini collaborations!!!

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 03-07-12 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-07-12, 07:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

VW is trying to take over the world . lol. I think its a great move. Ducati has an unmatched reputation