Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Am I the only one that's not-so-hot on the new direction of Lexus styling?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-12 | 04:02 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Default Am I the only one that's not-so-hot on the new direction of Lexus styling?

:::::flame suit on:::::

As a previous owner of three Lexus vehicles, I have always been a fan of the brand's quality, performance, and reputation. I loved the presence of my GS400 back in the day. My wife and I were completely satisfied with our RX400h, and I was also impressed with poise of the SC400. While it is true that their past designs tended to be a little on the bland (conservative) side, I am not sure that they are taking a step in the right direction with their current design trend.

I'm not talking about the LFA or the CT200h. Those cars are crisp and visually appealing. However, I don't find the new spindle grill particularly attractive, and I am almost afraid to look when the grill sweeps through the whole lineup.

I've seen the new GS in person and now the RX refresh has come out....I find them mediocre at best. The new grill might look decent on the incoming IS, but I think it will take away from the elegance of the ES and LS lines. IMO, the current LS600hL is the best looking Lexus in the lineup, and it hurts to picture it with a spindle face.

Am I the only one that feels this way?
Old 02-13-12 | 04:28 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

I find the grill gives the car more character. It's not really attractive, but Lexus is definitely heading to the right direction with it. You will see the grill evolve over the years, and it will be more and more attractive with designers getting used on how to apply the grill.
Old 02-13-12 | 04:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I will bethe first to comment. The new look it way better than the old which was bland at best. The direction of interiors is where it is at, the CT and GS are much nicer designs than that of the old GS or LS.

As for the spindle, it will take some time to get used to. It looks good on some colors but others not so good.

As for the LFA, not a big fan now that I have seen it in person.

New look is good. Interiors are also best ever!!
Old 02-13-12 | 04:48 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cino
I find the grill gives the car more character. It's not really attractive, but Lexus is definitely heading to the right direction with it. You will see the grill evolve over the years, and it will be more and more attractive with designers getting used on how to apply the grill.
Lexus is looking for the Lexus brand identifying grill like Audi,Benz and BMW.Something a Lexus has lacked.
I'm not liking the new grill design but it probably will grow on me.
Old 02-13-12 | 04:52 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

GQD_GS4, you are not the only one.

But it will grow on you, just give it time
Old 02-13-12 | 04:58 PM
Hoovey689

I like the new direction. Sharp with an heir of masculinity. So far the 2013 GS, LX, and RX have impressed me thus far
Old 02-13-12 | 05:38 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I think it is a clear improvement. In the quest to find a timeless face for Lexus' ... one that will endure for many, many years to come... I would say it's ONE solution but probably not THE solution.
Old 02-13-12 | 05:49 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 10,000

I used to not like it but it's definitely growing on me. And as others have said it's certainly an improvement and I'm eager to see how it evolves in the future.
Old 02-13-12 | 05:59 PM
Alucard
Pole Position

I've said it before, but even though the new front end theme isn't bad, it just isn't needed.

Lexus has always had great design in my opinion. Where others see "bland" I've always appreciated how well the cars age and found that having multiple design styles/themes was something the competition lacked.

Now Lexus follows Benz, BMW, and (especially) Audi with trying to have a unifying design that results in a "one car, different sizes" lineup.

Again, the spindle grill isn't ugly (quite the opposite really), but it just isn't needed and weakens the appeal of Lexus in my eyes.

The 2003 ES and 2003 LX had very little styling simillarities, but both were very much "Lexus". Even though auto magazines and internet bullies liked to chide Lexus as being "bland", the general American buying public sure liked what Lexus has been doing the past few decades.

And I've always thought that if Europe doesn't love Lexus as much as North America, BFD. Trying to be all things to all people might hurt Lexus in the long run.

I sure hope it doesn't.
Old 02-13-12 | 06:19 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Alucard
I've said it before, but even though the new front end theme isn't bad, it just isn't needed.

Lexus has always had great design in my opinion. Where others see "bland" I've always appreciated how well the cars age and found that having multiple design styles/themes was something the competition lacked.

Now Lexus follows Benz, BMW, and (especially) Audi with trying to have a unifying design that results in a "one car, different sizes" lineup.

Again, the spindle grill isn't ugly (quite the opposite really), but it just isn't needed and weakens the appeal of Lexus in my eyes.

The 2003 ES and 2003 LX had very little styling simillarities, but both were very much "Lexus". Even though auto magazines and internet bullies liked to chide Lexus as being "bland", the general American buying public sure liked what Lexus has been doing the past few decades.

And I've always thought that if Europe doesn't love Lexus as much as North America, BFD. Trying to be all things to all people might hurt Lexus in the long run.

I sure hope it doesn't.
I agreed with every words there
Old 02-13-12 | 06:44 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 100000

Easy brand power, I know an Audi a mile away now, where as I may have before, but I without question know it now.

It is kind of blah, but from a branding point it makes a lot of sense on a corp level.
Old 02-13-12 | 06:48 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by J.P.
Easy brand power, I know an Audi a mile away now, where as I may have before, but I without question know it now.
Sure I can tell it is an Audi, but Audi what? I can't tell between an A4 from an A6 at all
Old 02-13-12 | 06:54 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 100000

I know what you mean, but from a brand power view they do not care at that level. The product manager may care, but the overall marketing plan is complete brand awareness on a macro level.

The only thing that matters is you know it’s an Audi, you see a lot of them and regardless of what model, it looks awesome.

They could probably do the same thing without having such shared front ends, but this really is the easy way out.

Lexus is going with it to because it works, for now anyway.
Old 02-13-12 | 06:55 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by BNR34
Sure I can tell it is an Audi, but Audi what? I can't tell between an A4 from an A6 at all
Yea that's the problem with Audis. Apparently Audi recognizes it's a problem and are working to correct it. I hope Lexus never runs into that problem, it's a bad one to have even if the design looks good to begin with.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/29/a...cism-that-all/
Old 02-13-12 | 06:57 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

I think the new grille(s) looks amazing.

I liike how even though they are all similar - they are applied differently on each car.

Quick Reply: Am I the only one that's not-so-hot on the new direction of Lexus styling?