Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Am I the only one that's not-so-hot on the new direction of Lexus styling?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-12, 07:20 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Really? I'm LOVING the new design language.

whats not to love?
Old 02-13-12, 07:54 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I can't say I love the design, but at least they're trying to create some sort of identity. Will it grow on me? Not in the near future, but there are other aspects (interior) that are great.
Old 02-13-12, 08:03 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, but I think the LF LC looks like Darth Vader with running mascara lol.

The second picture looks like a silhouette of a skirt being held tight by a belt, or a medieval cooking pot...
Old 02-13-12, 08:08 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Yes and I can say that the GS400 is ugly and post some obscure object to make fun of it as well but I won't do that.
Old 02-13-12, 08:18 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry about that; didn't mean to offend.
Old 02-13-12, 08:41 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You're not the only one. I hate the current design, and the fact that all models are getting the ugly grille makes me worried about the next gen IS. i had high hopes for the new GS, but i just can't stand the look of the CT, and GS is just a stretch version of it. I'll probably move to different brand, time will tell.
Old 02-13-12, 11:17 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

hmmm if its so ugly, why did the LF-LC win the top design award at it's auto show unveiling?

I'm sure these designers know a thing or two about what they do, professionally...winning awards and all.
Old 02-13-12, 11:31 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
I think the new grille(s) looks amazing.

I liike how even though they are all similar - they are applied differently on each car.
that's true. it's cool how they're all executed differently within the same theme. i hope they do a great job on the 3IS!
Old 02-13-12, 11:49 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Not a fan of the spindle. Not sure it will grow on me. We'll see.

I do like classic old-school styling. Lexus has always been good at it, despite (warranted?) criticism that the styling is too reserved. Even the LFA, which probably no one would call "understated", nevertheless has a lot of body elements and minor styling that is very subtle and only noticeable in person, which is why so many people comment on how different their opinion of the LFA exterior is after seeing it in person.

Then again many people I know really like the look of the new GS. I might just be getting too old.
Old 02-14-12, 12:11 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

I think what's made Lexus so legendary over the years is their restrain on style. They have always appealed to a conservative and mature set. Ironically, it's this same three-box sedan design that looks so good when customized and lowered (early and mid 90's Hondas are similar), hence the appeal to us enthusiasts. This is a double appeal phenomenon thing that few car companies can claim.

Having said that, Lexus is playing with fire with the new styling language. I don't know if it's going to work or not, but it's a big risk to go from conservative to standout. I for one would prefer them to stay the old way. It's worked well for them. What's held the company back and reduced sales is delaying refreshes and redesigns.
Old 02-14-12, 12:57 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Every luxury car brand needs to stand out in one way or another in this ultra-competitive market. Lexus is just doing what it needs to do in order to ensure it makes a lasting impression on the collective car-buying population. Initial bad impressions are probably overhyped anyway.

If you believed the internet furore, Chris Bangle was going to be barbecued alive by BMW fanboys for the new styling on the then 7 and 5 series but those models went on to become sales successes inspite/because of their controversial styling.
Old 02-14-12, 04:39 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Every luxury car brand needs to stand out in one way or another in this ultra-competitive market. Lexus is just doing what it needs to do in order to ensure it makes a lasting impression on the collective car-buying population. Initial bad impressions are probably overhyped anyway.

If you believed the internet furore, Chris Bangle was going to be barbecued alive by BMW fanboys for the new styling on the then 7 and 5 series but those models went on to become sales successes inspite/because of their controversial styling.
He was BBQ'd alive, his designs polarized BMW fans and purists, and he was given the boot while BMW has tried for the past few years to get away from the concept to winback those lost due to him

As for the front ends - I told the salesguy at the GS release party it looked like Vaders helmet. He didnt get it. So then I held up my Darth Vader lego key chain while looking at the new GS from a distance. He looked at them both and said "Well how about that!". Not sayig it is a bad thing. It is just what I see like was mentioned earlier. I'll wait for the real redesign to make any judgement on the RX since this is just body cladding and some odds and ends from the new parts bins.

Last edited by MX5NES350; 02-14-12 at 04:44 AM.
Old 02-14-12, 06:19 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GS has grown on me, looks fine now. Now work on the side profile Lexus.
Old 02-14-12, 06:22 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

I like the new look, in and out.
Old 02-14-12, 07:03 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I like the spindle grill the first time I saw it

Quick Reply: Am I the only one that's not-so-hot on the new direction of Lexus styling?