Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Am I the only one that's not-so-hot on the new direction of Lexus styling?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-12, 09:18 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Yes and I can say that the GS400 is ugly and post some obscure object to make fun of it as well but I won't do that.
I don't think anyone on this earth think the GS400 is ugly. It is one of the most handsome sedan ever created.
Old 02-14-12, 09:20 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
hmmm if its so ugly, why did the LF-LC win the top design award at it's auto show unveiling?
That is because the entire car looks amazing, it just happens to have the same spindle grill on it.
Old 02-14-12, 10:37 AM
LexFather

Great thread to start! I've been mulling this over for sometime now and am VERY divided on it. As a longtime Lexus owner maybe I'm nuts but styling was always a strong point for me. I DO NOT DESIRE "OMG I AM HERE LOOK AT ME" styling in my cars. I never have. As some have stated I think Lexus has gotten the usual ridiculous amount of criticism for its style solely based on the ES/RX/LS.

I am truly unsure why Lexus listened so hard to these very vocal non Lexus owners (some who will NEVER buy a Lexus) yelling and trolling over and over Lexus is all bland. As Gengar and others stated, Lexus style was in the "details" that are missed in pics and abundant in person.

Bangle figured this out and basically followed Lexus with his interpretation of BMW design. He made it so every BMW didn't look the same. It seems like genius to me today as BMW has moved back to the same style/different size methodology. Over the years I've always heard people say "Look at that Lexus" or "I love that Lexus" even though they didn't all look alike. Lexus seemed to do a great job of making their vehicles different while sharing Lexus styling cues.

Now what we have is IMO something led by marketing/focus groups/non-Lexus owners/ make the front easily distinguished as a Lexus. It seems now they all will get horizontal slants in base form and the F grill in F sport form. No more vertical slants which worked well with the GS/RX/IS in the past.

Everyone is doing it. The corporate grill/face. I miss the days of originality when all cars didn't have to look the same. Even non luxury brands are trying to form a single identity. I completely understand the root cause (as J.P stated) but it seems to me these designs are not for car enthusiasts at all but rather just the average person who doesn't know about cars that needs AS MUCH HELP AS POSSIBLE to say "oh that is a _____".

Old 02-14-12, 10:41 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

^^^ +1 on everything 1SICKLEX says. GREAT thoughts I couldn't have said better myself.
Old 02-14-12, 10:43 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BertL
^^^ +1 on everything 1SICKLEX says. GREAT thoughts I couldn't have said better myself.

Ditto!
Old 02-14-12, 10:50 AM
L8Apex
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

i don't like the spindle. But after seeing it in person, I didn't hate it as much. If that makes sense. But I'm sure it will grow on everyone. LOL- look at the Porsche Cayenne
Old 02-14-12, 06:43 PM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

I understand the likes, dislikes and on the fence about the new face of Lexus but I think this all comes down to change. Changing with the times, (some people hate change) being progressive, looking forward to the future for the brand. Lexus owners are getting younger as the last generation (boomers) is passing the baton to the next gen of owners. I'm excited about the new vigor that Lexus is showing, it is refreshing and to be honest I get sick of the Lexus is too bland, boring etc. I believe Lexus can create cars with a balance for buyers who want to be connected to the road and buyers who total isolation with a tomb quiet ride. IMO the spindle grill gives the brand more road presence that catches your eye without being too over top (unless you want F-Sport) the look is sexy as hell and I love it! Last I love the majority of the past designs as well b/c Lexus knows how to make timeless, relevant looking cars that age with grace.
Old 02-14-12, 07:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by BertL
Originally Posted by Joeb427
Ditto!
Thank you kindly sirs!

Old 02-14-12, 08:07 PM
Mind18
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't mind the spindle grill, but I hope there is still a visual identity with each individual model line. As others have mentioned, having a corporate face is fine, but would hate to see it become same style/different size. With the GS looking a bit too much like the IS and CT, a bit worried about that.

I think MB does it right in this regards though. There's a corporate identity, but to me, each model has it's own unique styling.

Last edited by Mind18; 02-14-12 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-14-12, 11:02 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to see that I am not the only one wondering about the spindle face.

I understand the corporate goal of instant brand recognition and don't disagree with it. I just find the corporate designs of Audi and BMW to be easier on the eyes. Sure, it is hard to differentiate between A4/6/8 and 3,5,7 series, but there's no question that they look nice. But I liked the individuality in each of Lexus' models, and the spindle grill just might be too extreme. Yes, Lexus is trying to win new buyers with aggressive styling, but it might lose the current customer base in the process. Only time will tell.

I feel like in 3 years, when every Lexus model incorporates the spindle, I will miss the glory days of the clean lines of the current IS, the unique front fascia of the 2ES, and the understated luxury of the current LS. All those models have aged well. Hopefully the spindle will grow on me also.
Old 02-14-12, 11:23 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GQD_GS4
Glad to see that I am not the only one wondering about the spindle face.

I understand the corporate goal of instant brand recognition and don't disagree with it. I just find the corporate designs of Audi and BMW to be easier on the eyes. Sure, it is hard to differentiate between A4/6/8 and 3,5,7 series, but there's no question that they look nice. But I liked the individuality in each of Lexus' models, and the spindle grill just might be too extreme. Yes, Lexus is trying to win new buyers with aggressive styling, but it might lose the current customer base in the process. Only time will tell.

I feel like in 3 years, when every Lexus model incorporates the spindle, I will miss the glory days of the clean lines of the current IS, the unique front fascia of the 2ES, and the understated luxury of the current LS. All those models have aged well. Hopefully the spindle will grow on me also.
You brought up a great discussion. While thing seem to be better, we are still in a worldwide recession and "bling" and "attention" is still somewhat not in vogue. Design under the radar seems to be ruling everything BUT luxury cars that seem to be getting more brash and bold every year. Seems to be at odds with the economic climate. I am assuming Lexus feels things will pick up and people will want aggressive and attention grabbing cars in the future.

The good news is it will be pretty obvious is one mimics Lexus with this corporate identity. Lexus has been copied all the time (and they copy too of course) but since they don't have a clear design it seems people rarely mention it (or they hate acknowledging Lexus leads in design).

Another wonder for me is "what about the rest of the car"? The new GS sides and rear isn't nearly as aggressive or memorable. What about the rest of the design? What other Lexus cues will be used? It seems Lexus sedans have stuck with the curved C-pillar and the IS/GS share similar lights but they blend in it seems.

It will be interesting. I'm just happy the new design isn't ugly or panned by critics like the Acura beak disaster.

Old 02-15-12, 04:21 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In response to the possibility of Lexus having the same "same sausage, different length" design throughout the lineup, I don't think that we will have that problem. Although the spindle corporate grille will be very similar throughout the lineup (as it should be as it's the thing that ties them together), I think each Lexus will still have different identities yet maintain its "Lexus-ness" For instance, from the spy shots the ES looks very different to me. (Can anyone who has seen actual shots of the car confirm if it's too similar to the GS?) The IS will maintain it's rocket, dynamic stance. The LS will keep its regal presence. Etc. At least, that's what I believe. And I'm confident of this because I doubted the new direction Lexus was going when the production 4GS was unveiled, but now I LOVE the design.
Old 02-15-12, 04:30 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It will be interesting. I'm just happy the new design isn't ugly or panned by critics like the Acura beak disaster.
Not widely, but you get the usual suspects that are biased against Lexus like Motor Trend and Autoblog criticizing it, or saying something snarky, Vader/Predator-something-something.