Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Do Auto Executives make too much, at the expense of the workers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-12, 09:54 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's utterly insane when average CEO in the US got paid for 500 times of an average worker while the UK and Japanese CEO got paid about 28 and 11 times, respectively, more than an average worker. It's a huge gap between the US and other countries.
Old 02-17-12, 06:41 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Nobody say anything about how NBA or NFL players are getting paid but people are going crazy over how much this guy is getting paid after saving the whole company.
Old 02-17-12, 06:58 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stock ownership

Most of the compensation for CEOs comes in the form of restricted stock bonuses. The interesting fact here is about 20 years ago shareholder activists started to insist corporate executives compensation be tied to the stock performance, have some skin in the game so to speak. The unintended consequence of this is many publicly traded companies are run by people that are so short term focused, because of the stock ownership, that good long term planning and execution are gone. Asian companies, Japan, Korea and China based, have a much different focus.

In the end most people would be happy with a performance based compensation structure for almost any job, teachers, public workers etc. Unfortunately unions are much more likely to demand guaranteed wages, no matter what the quality of the work is.

CEO who are overpaid but made shareholders money as well isn't perfect but it does make sense to a point. The extreme case is Apple, any shareholder for the last 10 years probably thinks Steve Jobs wasn't paid enough! But there are others who haven't delivered and still walked away with a fortune which is just plain wrong.

JTMav
Old 02-17-12, 01:00 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf
companies who promote and pay bad managers, dont get good results... companies with great management, get great results.
Unfortunately that isn't true. A great team can make a bad manager look good. The converse is much, much more difficult.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Problem is.....companies have only so much money to spend. The pie is not limitless. The more they pay their top-dogs(even if those top-dogs do a good job) the less is available for other critical needs in the company, as well as simply meeting day-to-day expenses.
Agreed!
Why should a company balk, for example, at the small added-cost of putting some simple things on their vehicles, like I tend to harp about in reviews (body-side mouldings, hood-support-struts, real spare tires, etc.....)
Because of this thing that comes with large numbers. A $10 part on a single popular car that sells 300K units is a $3M cost! Jack the price or volume and the numbers add up very, very quickly. That's why they look to take pennies out of costs on very high volume items.
when they think nothing of giving a 9-figure salary to their CEO or President?
I can't say that 9 figure CEOs are "common" and I bet most boards would think quite a lot before providing that kind of salary (6 figure == 100K, 7 figure = 1M, 8 figure = 10M, 9 figure = 100M). Data varies for 2011 but is similar to 2010 when in fact only a single American CEO had compensation > $100M.

Originally Posted by J.P.
And everyone on here with a new Lexus could have bought a Ford and donated their money to help others in their community.

When you are 1 of very few that can do something worth billions, you get to name your price, welcome to America.
Absolutely agree. It's so easy to want to spend other peoples money. But as I've said before if he didn't have the right team around him AM would not have gotten it done either. I bet the rest of the team (more than 1 level down) didn't do nearly as well.
Old 02-17-12, 01:24 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by STIG
Nobody say anything about how NBA or NFL players are getting paid but people are going crazy over how much this guy is getting paid after saving the whole company.
haha i did!

the way i see it, you get paid less for contributing more to the advancement of our society and mankind
Old 02-17-12, 01:33 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Have you priced some new Fords lately? A top-line Explorer, with options, can run 50K. And you won't want to know how much a new F-150 King Ranch, with options, can run.

I agree, but that price shouldn't be so high that it can (or does) negatively impact on other needed-funds in the company. One has to think of more than just himself or herself...a CEO's job is not an excuse for an unlimited gravy-train.
Yeah I have, including a Raptor and and Diesel King Ranch, I know what the prices are. (cheaper to pay someone to tow my **** as its not a daily driver)
Old 02-17-12, 01:38 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by STIG
I cannot sit around and concern myself with how little or lot someone is getting paid, I spend that time going out to make my own, so I can get whatever I want.

There are a lot of people in this world that add little or no value to society (kardashians) but make 500x what a cancer researcher does.

It is what it is, find a way to make more money or live within your means, worrying about everyone else is useless.