Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-12, 02:46 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Genesis is going to be 4k more expensive? quite an difference there. Toyobaru will outsell it, but again, it is cheaper car... They seem to have 3 month supply of Genesis at dealers, so it is not really selling briskly... I doubt it will improve with base model getting $2.5k increase in price, and more competition coming.
Are you predicting $21k for the Scion then?
Old 02-22-12, 08:04 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's interesting that where I'm from, the Genesis Coupe is a hot seller (even in top-of-the-line 3.8 V6 automatic with Brembo brakes).

300% sales increase over the previous year......and as superb as the MX5 Miata roadster is, the GC outsells it by 12-to-1 in my country.

As for the new model of the GC, imho, the front may be viewed by some as more controversial........but the added performance would make up for it.
Old 02-22-12, 11:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Are you predicting $21k for the Scion then?
under 22k for base model, but just an prediction... if subbie will sell their well equiped at 24k, then i dont think FR-S will sell for more than 22k.
Old 02-22-12, 11:48 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Another overstyled Hyundai. Decent specs, but ruined with the details.
Good way to put it . While the 370Z is rather bland looking IMO, it's at least clean and crisp. The Genesis has that god-awful front end and the unnecessarily busy side flanks. Rear end is nice though.
Old 02-22-12, 02:45 PM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Interior looks nice but front face could look meaner
Old 02-22-12, 02:52 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Its a fun car to drive Not sold on the new front end.
Old 02-22-12, 06:31 PM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
under 22k for base model, but just an prediction... if subbie will sell their well equiped at 24k, then i dont think FR-S will sell for more than 22k.
I doubt it seeing as how the tC closes in on $19k. The FR-S is on a dedicated RWD platform instead of one shared by many of Toyota's small cars and has a dedicated direct injected performance engine vs the mass market Camry 2.5 in the tC. Not to mention a significant amount of suspension and engineering work that car is starting at $23-24k no less.
Old 02-22-12, 08:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
I doubt it seeing as how the tC closes in on $19k. The FR-S is on a dedicated RWD platform instead of one shared by many of Toyota's small cars and has a dedicated direct injected performance engine vs the mass market Camry 2.5 in the tC. Not to mention a significant amount of suspension and engineering work that car is starting at $23-24k no less.
Tc and veloster one and the same.

Old 02-23-12, 10:08 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
But I still wouldn't buy a Hyundai
I really dislike people with that kind of mentality, ( no offense it's just IMO)

I can understand that it is a company that started out with not the greatest vehicles but they have been improving and coming out with amazing products IMO and it's just getting to the point where it's the silly "I bought my car because it has a BMW badge", and something like that. I'm sure if it had another "badge" it would be different. To me I say drive a car that YOU like and enjoy not so that you can impress you friends and others etc.
Old 02-23-12, 10:23 PM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Dear god, that is one ugly front end!
Old 02-24-12, 06:35 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by adamls2
I really dislike people with that kind of mentality, ( no offense it's just IMO)

I can understand that it is a company that started out with not the greatest vehicles but they have been improving and coming out with amazing products IMO and it's just getting to the point where it's the silly "I bought my car because it has a BMW badge", and something like that. I'm sure if it had another "badge" it would be different. To me I say drive a car that YOU like and enjoy not so that you can impress you friends and others etc.
To each of his own.

To someone car is just a mean of transportation, to someone else car is more than just a mean of transportation but it is also a social status.

I like the technological upgrades but it just looks fugly in taste => no sell to me.......
Old 03-01-12, 08:25 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks better than previous face to me.
Old 03-01-12, 11:02 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

The front looks terrible and unfinished. If they had simply painted it the same color as the rest of the body it would have made a large improvement. I had a 2009 370Z and I think that refresh looks ridiculous. That car needs 70hp and a major refresh ASAP.
Old 03-21-12, 03:22 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Not sure how long the page has been up, but it's been officially released for a while.

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/genesis-coupe/index.aspx

I'm having a hard time with the Build&Price link though, it's not opening for some reason.
Old 03-23-12, 06:08 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
big mouth grill is a bit much, but in a darker color it won't be so noticable. other than that, this is awesome! why would anyone buy a 370Z?
The Z, at least when I bought mine, was a much more engaging car, had much better throttle response, was faster, handled better, braked better, and just plain looked better.

With this new car, power-wise they're JUST NOW getting it to the 370Z league (the Z weighs a bit less). I'd have to drive a new one to tell, but my girlfriend and I came away from the previous generation laughing.

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe