Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CNNmoney-Today's 10 Best American Cars.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-12, 07:41 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts
Default CNNmoney-Today's 10 Best American Cars.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2011/...ars/index.html

I will let the link speak for itself. Suffice it to say, everyone notices #5, #7 and #9 right?
Old 02-24-12, 07:47 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I only agree with the Corvette choice.
Old 02-24-12, 08:02 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

In all honesty, me too, if this were a comparo of the 10 best cars, period, imports and domestic...but honestly, Chrysler's products are better than they have been since the late 60's...I dont disagree with any of the choices they made for the chrysler products, I have driven all 3 and they are all fantastic.

I do think the Explorer would have had a fair shot at the Durango's spot, but the lack of a V8/ecoboost V6 kept it out of the spotlight I think.

The Fusion is a nice car in its class, but I think the new buick sedan should have taken that.
Old 02-24-12, 08:42 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thing is there could \ should be 30 cars on there, the big 3 have stepped it up and have a lot to offer now. Remove the stigma of the past, and they are bringing it.

The vette should stay, the rest of the GM cars should not be on the list. The Chevrolet Equinox, really?

I also agree, buick something should be on the list, they really turned things around.
Old 02-24-12, 09:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
The vette should stay, the rest of the GM cars should not be on the list. The Chevrolet Equinox, really?
The new Sonic, IMO definitely deserves a place on the list. Though its dash/gauge design is a little quirky, and its interior trim not quite as rich as the smooth- wood-paneled Aveo LT2 it replaces, its driving-dynamics and road-manners are light-years ahead of the Aveo, and it seems to have solid build-quality as well. (I've reviewed both the Aveo and Sonic).

I'll agree with you, though, on the Volt being taken off the list........despite the article describing it as a "good value" with the tax-credit, I disagree on the value. IMO, it is significantly overpriced, quirky, and with very poor interior/dash/console-ergonomics.

I also agree, buick something should be on the list, they really turned things around.
The new Verano, IMO, should definitely be on the list. Its build-quality, IMO, is superb, at least on a surface-inspection and a test-drive (I haven't seen this kind of solidness in a new Buick in decades). Of course, as a brand-new model, long-term-reliability remains a question-mark, but, IMO, this entry-level Buick easily out-trumps all of the more-expensive Buicks (Regal, LaCrosse, Enclave) for overall build quality, refinement, and hardware/trim-solidness. I'm so impressed with this car that I may buy one myself....though its ride, with the 45-series 18" tires, is a little stiffer and less-Buick-like than I like. Some of the new-model-year bugs, of course, may have already been addressed in the European Opel Astra it is based on.
Old 02-24-12, 09:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
But honestly, Chrysler's products are better than they have been since the late 60's...I dont disagree with any of the choices they made for the chrysler products, I have driven all 3 and they are all fantastic.
I was driving those Chrysler products back in the late 60s. Motors (especially the Slant-Six) and Torqueflite automatic transmissons (not the manuals) were tough as an iron anvil. The baked- enamel paint jobs were reasonably good (those were the days before clearcoat), but they tended to chip, and some colors faded. The rest of the vehicle generally s*cked, especially the non-power drum-brakes, though the front-disc-option on later models was a mild improvement.

The Fusion is a nice car in its class, but I think the new buick sedan should have taken that.
Defintely. See my reply abve to J.P.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-24-12 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-24-12, 10:32 AM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
. . . Remove the stigma of the past, and they are bringing it. . .
Man, how many times have I heard that in the last 35 years. Lots of stigma to overcome for me.
Old 02-24-12, 11:10 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by TerrySmith
Man, how many times have I heard that in the last 35 years. Lots of stigma to overcome for me.
every new product cycle (3-4 years), it begins all over again :-)
Old 02-24-12, 11:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

the idea of an "american" list is so out of date. wouldn't surprise me if some of those cars are made in canada or mexico.
Old 02-24-12, 11:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the idea of an "american" list is so out of date. wouldn't surprise me if some of those cars are made in canada or mexico.
You are right, didnt the Forbes name Camry as most american passenger car in the US (based on amount of american content)? :-)
Old 02-24-12, 02:29 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TerrySmith
I have had my bad taste of the big 3….

With that being said, Fords quality is up, had to argue with the Taurus, Stang, looking at GM, what they did with the Vette and Buick, it is a new day for them…. For now…
Old 02-24-12, 02:35 PM
LexFather

I guess its the media here, I don't think I've read
"top 10 German cars"
"top 10 Italian cars"
"top 10 Japanese cars"
"top 10 Korean cars"
"top 10 Zamunda cars"

As Paul stated, wtf is an American car when if I recall correctly the Toyota Camry is the #1 American car by parts.

Old 02-24-12, 06:42 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
"top 10 German cars"
"top 10 Italian cars"
"top 10 Japanese cars"
"top 10 Korean cars"
"top 10 Zamunda cars"

As Paul stated, wtf is an American car when if I recall correctly the Toyota Camry is the #1 American car by parts.
People don't care about parts.. It's always been the badge and will continue to be for the foreseeable future
Old 02-24-12, 06:58 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
"top 10 German cars"
"top 10 Italian cars"
"top 10 Japanese cars"
"top 10 Korean cars"
"top 10 Zamunda cars"

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
People don't care about parts.. It's always been the badge and will continue to be for the foreseeable future
Us educated buyers know the difference, I guess thats all that really matters.

If you buy a car without researching it first, knowing absolutely nothing about it other than a test drive, I dont feel bad for you... But for as much as cars cost these days, thats some serious coin to not be putting some time and effort into educating yourself.