Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Says "No" To Entry Level Cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-12, 07:38 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Toyota already has their segments in entry, midrange and luxo. To bring the Lexus marquee into the lower luxo level is muddying their own market. IMO the Avalon and ES are pretty close. The CT to me was
Old 02-28-12, 07:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
Toyota already has their segments in entry, midrange and luxo. To bring the Lexus marquee into the lower luxo level is muddying their own market. IMO the Avalon and ES are pretty close. The CT to me was
The CT was a hit because it was the first Lexus in a long while to trendy and different than past Lexus vehicles. Plus the CT is cheap which makes it appealing.
Old 02-29-12, 02:40 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The CT was a hit because it was the first Lexus in a long while to trendy and different than past Lexus vehicles. Plus the CT is cheap which makes it appealing.
Price point is not the main reason why the CT sells so well. It's because it achieves the best fuel economy utilizing 87 octane for a luxury vehicle and has all the luxury benefits of a Lexus.
Old 02-29-12, 06:29 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by flipside909
Price point is not the main reason why the CT sells so well. It's because it achieves the best fuel economy utilizing 87 octane for a luxury vehicle and has all the luxury benefits of a Lexus.
Exactly there are many reasons, styling, handling, features, options...etc...

smh

Old 02-29-12, 06:34 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The CT is an outstanding response to an emerging market. It's a Prius for those who can spend a few extra bucks for Lexus features and performance. It's a way to endorse a green lifestyle without sacrifice; you don't have to wear a hair shirt to be an environmentalist. Face it, if someone is spending $30-$40K on a hybrid, saving money on fuel is not high on their agenda.
Old 03-01-12, 08:02 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CT200 is low enough. Let Toyota have at that segment.
Old 05-19-12, 08:00 PM
jfh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
The CT is an outstanding response to an emerging market. It's a Prius for those who can spend a few extra bucks for Lexus features and performance. It's a way to endorse a green lifestyle without sacrifice; you don't have to wear a hair shirt to be an environmentalist. Face it, if someone is spending $30-$40K on a hybrid, saving money on fuel is not high on their agenda.
Pretty much why I bought the CT. I essentially wanted a very comfortable Prius, but also wanted the Lexus dealer/service experience. (Saving money on fuel - or, more correctly - using less fuel - was high on my agenda).

In the US, I don't see much of a market for a Lexus car smaller than the CT, but believe one would sell in Europe.
Old 05-19-12, 08:11 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The only thing about the CT that bugs me is the passenger seat is manual control ... (At least on the model I sat in)

I mean, its a luxury car ... I think power seats are a must.
Old 05-19-12, 09:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
The only thing about the CT that bugs me is the passenger seat is manual control ... (At least on the model I sat in)

I mean, its a luxury car ... I think power seats are a must.
lol just like the basic c class coupe, only 50% powered, so weird
Old 05-19-12, 10:25 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Lexus needs to get rid of all the green back lighting for their buttons. That screams low entry vehicle to me.
Old 05-19-12, 10:43 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Lexus is looking at how so many critics associate some Lexus models (ES) as a glorified Camry, which we know is false. I believe they want to make the distinction so clear that it will be impossible to associate the two brands together. BMW and Mercedes does not have this fasle perception, because there are no 'Camrys' in their car portfolio.
Old 05-20-12, 08:45 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LexPaul
I think Lexus is looking at how so many critics associate some Lexus models (ES) as a glorified Camry, which we know is false. I believe they want to make the distinction so clear that it will be impossible to associate the two brands together. BMW and Mercedes does not have this fasle perception, because there are no 'Camrys' in their car portfolio.
BMW and Mercedes-Benz may not have Camrys in their lineups now, but they will soon.

MB is working on platform and engine sharing with Renault-Nissan. I still cannot wrap my head around MB using Nissan engines (and Nissan platforms for their small cars).

BMW has been sharing engines with PSA Peugeot Citroën (for their Mini lineup) for a while now. They are working with Toyota on hybrid drivetrain technology and rumoured to be working with Hyundai-Kia on engines. BMW sharing engines with Hyundai and Kia?

And the next-generation Mini will share its platform with the next-generation BMW 1-Series, meaning the 1 will be on a FWD platform. A FWD BMW?

And we all know that VW is the GM of the 21st-Century when it comes to platform and component sharing. The only difference is that VW, with the help of supercomputers, is able to disguise their shared platforms so that it is not as simple as badge-engineering. Bentleys share platforms and engines with Audi and we know that Audi is very close to VW (they are all VW brands, of course).
Old 05-21-12, 12:28 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Keep in mind they BMW used to purchase Toyota diesel for Mini before buying PSA ones.
Old 05-21-12, 06:55 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cost is part of "luxury". Power is part of "luxury". Size is part of "luxury". If you start removing those attributes, is it really still a luxury car? Luxury cars are not practical, rational, or reasonable vehicles.
Old 05-21-12, 08:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

As I see it, it's all a moot point anyway. The problem is that Lexus never made what I would call true entry-level luxury vehicles anyway. The HS250, in many ways, is more of a Toyota than a Lexus........even more so with the CT200h, which, for a Lexus-badged vehicle, significantly lacks refinement, quietness, and ride-comfort. The HS and CT are good cars in what they do (and have proven very reliable), but you can't, IMO, call them luxury-grade vehicles by any stretch.

Believe it or not, the closest thing I've seen, in today's market, to a true (below 30K) entry-level luxury-vehicle is the new Buick Verano.

Quick Reply: Lexus Says "No" To Entry Level Cars