Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Family Bought A New Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-12, 10:02 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Family Bought A New Car

In 2004, we bought a brand new Chevy Trailblazer, and dropped over $30k for it. At first it was great and everything, had tvs in the back, it looked nice (at the time), practically no miles; it was our first brand new car, and we loved it.

Fast forward about 5 years later, damn that car is a giant POS. Everything started falling apart. Center arm rest broke, and instrument cluster stopped functioning properly, and it started lighting up like a christmas tree.

Anyway, we experienced a hit and run about a month ago. My dad and his friend went out to eat, when they got back to their car, the entire left side of the car (from rear passenger to front fender) was hit. From what I've heard, hit and runs are pretty common in that area.

For the past week we've been looking for a car, and found something that my mom and dad both enjoyed.

Went to the Pasadena Toyota dealership, and bought a 2006 Toyota Avalon Limited.

They're happy, and I'm happy for them. I'll post up pictures later when I have the time.
Old 02-26-12, 10:34 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Yup, Government Motors doing what they do best. I have an 03' Explorer and 100,000 on the clock. Never had a single issue. I'm Ford and Lexus all day everyday

Congrats on the Avalon. like an entry level Lexus hah.
Old 02-26-12, 11:13 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

oh how naive...thinking it was okay to buy american
Old 02-26-12, 11:47 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ford is the only american company Id buy from.

Congrats on the avalon... its a great car
Old 02-27-12, 08:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Congratulations. I think your dad will like it. It's a smooth, comfortable car by today's standards, and generally reliable. But it probably won't go through the same kind of bad weather as a TrailBlazer would....though that may not be much if an issue if you live in one of the sunnier parts of CA.
Old 02-27-12, 02:03 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Thanks you guys, but I got a bit of bad news.

My mom is having second thoughts on the car (she doesn't like the light blue color), and she wants to go back to the dealership and exchange it for something else; is that even possible?

Part of me says that it is, since we bought the car yesterday and it shouldn't be a problem; but another part of me says that it's not, since we signed a contract to buy this car.

Anyway, we're going to the dealership now and see what happens..
Old 02-27-12, 02:43 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Incredible
Thanks you guys, but I got a bit of bad news.

My mom is having second thoughts on the car (she doesn't like the light blue color), and she wants to go back to the dealership and exchange it for something else; is that even possible?

Part of me says that it is, since we bought the car yesterday and it shouldn't be a problem; but another part of me says that it's not, since we signed a contract to buy this car.

Anyway, we're going to the dealership now and see what happens..
Let us know what happens, but I kind of doubt they will undo the sale. You never know though.
Old 02-27-12, 03:56 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

The dealership probably has dealt with buyer's remorse before.

My guess is that if they do something for them, it won't be free. Hopefully something positive will come out of it for them.
Old 02-27-12, 04:04 PM
toyemp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In CA, if it is a used car and < $40k AND you paid the buyer's remorse protection (based on the value of the vehicle), you can return the car within 2 days/250 miles for any reason and only forfeit the amount you paid for the protection. If you did not purchase the protection or if the car is > $40k, then you are SOL

http://www.consumer-action.org/engli...ill_of_rights/

Last edited by toyemp; 02-27-12 at 04:10 PM. Reason: added link
Old 02-27-12, 04:28 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes, them Chevrolet Trailblazers are pieces of junk. I never would have bought one.

I have a friend that works for O'reilly Auto Parts and most of if not 99% of the customers that come in and buy parts are mostly for amercian cars...these customers are buying alternators, starters, all kinds of senors, switches etc. In all the Lexus cars I ever owned I never had to buy a starter or an alternator but maybe I'm just lucky...

Last edited by Trexus; 02-27-12 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-27-12, 04:42 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GOOD you bought a TOYOTA. Boy are these trail blazers AND envoys junk.
Old 02-27-12, 04:58 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My friend bought a HS250 from carmax, as soon as he told me that, I told him the car is discountinued after few years on sale here. So he regreted his purchase and Carmax switched him to a GS350!
Old 02-27-12, 05:14 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought about buying a new AWD Trailblazer SS a number of years ago. I loved the powertrain and exhaust note, but decided no way to the Tupperware interior and wobbly center console.
Old 02-27-12, 05:44 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus

I have a friend that works for O'reilly Auto Parts and most of if not 99% of the customers that come in and buy parts are mostly for amercian cars...these customers are buying alternators, starters, all kinds of senors, switches etc. In all the Lexus cars I ever owned I never had to buy a starter or an alternator but maybe I'm just lucky...
I'm going to call BS on this. I've been to the parts store just as much for my Lexus as I ever was for my Firebird(which had almost twice as many miles btw).

Getting tired of all the bashing on American cars.....they're not so bad.

Also, can't forget our 99 Sienna which has burned oil since 100,000 miles.
Old 02-27-12, 06:15 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Well we went to the Dealership to just look at other cars that my mom is interested in, and everything that she liked was between $21k-$35k, which is way out of our price range (The Avalon was listed at $18k, and we got it for $16.5k).

Anyway, I drove it for the first time, real smooth ride, very comfortable when driving, and a lot of space inside!

I talked to my dad about it, and he really likes the car too, and the only thing that my mom doesn't like is the color (which both me and my dad think looks fine). How much would a paint job cost?

Here are some pics of the car:

Quick Reply: Family Bought A New Car