Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NHTSA prepares to submit rearview camera mandate to Congress

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-12, 08:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default NHTSA prepares to submit rearview camera mandate to Congress

NHTSA ready to submit rearview camera mandate to Congress

About 100 children and over 200 adults die every year because drivers accidentally back over them. It's a sad statistic that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration feels can be prevented if all new vehicles come standard with backup cameras.

The New York Times reports that NHTSA plans to announce this week that rearview cameras will be mandatory on all vehicles by 2014. The compulsory cameras and interface for viewing what the camera sees is estimated to set new car buyers back an additional $160 to $200, but the government feels the cost is worth it if it prevents some of the 17,000 Americans that are harmed in backup accidents every year.

Clarence Ditlow, director for the Washington-based Center for Auto Safety, tells The New York Times that while the government acknowledges that in terms of pure numbers, the cost of the program is high and the amount of lives saved is small compared to some other safety implementations. But those numbers look a lot more doable when considering how devastating roll-over deaths are to families. "When you have a parent that kills a child in an incident that's utterly avoidable, they don't ever forget it."

What do you think, should rearview cameras become legally required?

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/02/29/n...e-to-congress/
Old 02-29-12, 08:52 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

YES... this is very good.

It will help all of those horrible parallel parkers
Old 02-29-12, 09:18 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Only 100 to 200? Why not have cars require the driver to breath into a device to start the car? I'm sure alot more people die per year due to drunk drivers?
Old 02-29-12, 09:53 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree this is an awesome feature and every car should have one
Old 02-29-12, 11:10 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

A good idea. However, I'm more happy about the mandatory viewing screen making the interior look upscale.
Old 03-01-12, 07:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
A good idea. However, I'm more happy about the mandatory viewing screen making the interior look upscale.
dont they put it into the rearview mirror in cheaper cars? :-).

Luckily for US, toyota wants to put their display audio 6.1" in every model
Old 03-01-12, 07:44 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

thanks for making all of our cars more expensive. No way in hell that it costs JUST $160 to $200 per vehicle. Go do the dealer and get a quote how much it costs to replace one of these cameras. Not only that, cars that didnt have screens before will know have to have screens. And all of this is just suppose to cost $160-200 per vehicle?

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 03-01-12 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-01-12, 09:15 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let the market decide on whether cars should come equipped with them! This is just more added costs and weight to cars.

If people want them, they'll pay for them. If you only want to buy an econobox, then you shouldn't be forced to pay for something you don't want. The cost of cars continue to climb. The $200 camera will end up costing $225 after interest.

If Toyota decides as a company to include back-up cameras on their cars, people can factory that into their decision when looking for a new car. If people respond positively, competing companies will play catch up.

I bet you more people get into accidents while distracted looking for directions than in backing up accidents. What will the government mandate next? GPS navigation in every car?
Old 03-01-12, 09:36 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

I don't feel a reverse camera is as mandatory as a front mounted one.

I feel a front camera is more important considering you'll have proof of the idiots hitting you rather than them blaming it on you (example of all the scams uploaded on youtube).

Pop the video, see the proof, case close.
Old 03-01-12, 12:25 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i know the bigger toyota vehicles, trucks/suvs, come with this and the screen in the rearview mirror...i beleive it;s standard on all versions of the model too

i'm for it...simple add on that is really really helpful to be honest, I use it often on our G37 and 3GS along with your normal rear/side view mirror checks
Old 03-01-12, 12:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

this is beyond stupid. rear view cameras may be nice, but MANDATING them!?
will they mandate how big the screen must be? so now all cars will have to have a screen - why would you want a small sports car to REQUIRE a screen? this will also hurt all exotic / small volume makers.

dumb, dumb, dumb, overly intrusive... and dumb.
Old 03-01-12, 12:53 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
this is beyond stupid. rear view cameras may be nice, but MANDATING them!?
will they mandate how big the screen must be? so now all cars will have to have a screen - why would you want a small sports car to REQUIRE a screen? this will also hurt all exotic / small volume makers.

dumb, dumb, dumb, overly intrusive... and dumb.
Agreed. Imagine the Lotus Elise or even the Ariel Atom having to add these useless weights just to be road-legal in the US.
Old 03-01-12, 01:01 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't see how this will "add weight" or be expensive to implement.

Small camera in the trunk lid (VERY light) and a screen built into the review. Won't need much change/modification at all... Just have to run one wire to the front and tap the reverse lights. (or other source) for power.

Easy.
Old 03-01-12, 01:06 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Have they studied these deaths to see if it's really because of utter lack of visibility? Or is it because of distracted/thoughtless drivers?

I live in a house with 9 other college students(5 upstairs, 5 downstairs). 3 cars park on the street, 5 or so of us in the back yard which has been turned into a dirt lot. My roommate has backed into 2 of our housemates' vehicles already. It's not for lack of visibility, it's because he is an airhead who is never paying attention to his surroundings, whether in the car or in the living room(knocks things over all the time).

How about we get all airheads off of the road.
Old 03-01-12, 02:14 PM
jaseman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ridiculous idea.

How many of these injuries or deaths would have been prevented by a back-up camera mounted on a Corolla, Focus, or I know, how about a Miata?!?! While I don't know the official stats, I would guess that 95% involved a behemoth SUV, minivan, or truck. Very few (if any) would have involved a small or mid-sized sedan.

Here's a thought... let's use some common sense, and only mandate them on vehicles over a certain size, or with limited rear visibility. Want more re-assurance, I'd even concede to a simple sensor that beeps when there is an object behind you, for all cars. I don't see the need to add a camera and screen to every vehicle out there, especially when the cost of new cars, even low budget ones, is creeping steadily beyond a lot of consumers comfort level.

Want to know the real answer? Just like all other issues involving most accidents - DRIVER EDUCATION!!! We tend to forget that driving is a privilege, NOT a right. Properly training drivers, for the vehicles they drive, an then retesting periodically, would go a long way in general.

Quick Reply: NHTSA prepares to submit rearview camera mandate to Congress