Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2012 Toyota RAV-4

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-12, 09:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I'd need Limited features in a Sport exterior to be happy. The other curveball is that a nice used RX350, which is quite similar in size, has the Same V6, and way more lux features, is not far off in price from a new Rav4.
I agree that a slightly-used RX is a good alternative. New Limited RAV-4s, with a lot of options and accessories, can run well over 30K...almost in base RX-range, brand-new. And there is no comparison between even the RAV-4's fairly low noise-level, on the road, and the RX's virtual tomb-quietness.
Old 03-02-12, 10:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

The Rav4 is one of my favorite Toyota models - I've toyed with the idea of selling my GS and getting one just for the sake of utility (gas mileage and repair costs don't hurt either), but I struggle with finding the right model:

The Sport model is my favorite (and quite a looker, I think) but it's impossible to find one with JBL or any of the other nice features. Toyota seems to build the Sport model as a small step up from the base model with a lot of room between it and the Limited.

The interior and features of the Limited are awesome, but I think the exterior is a bit tame for my tastes.

I'd need Limited features in a Sport exterior to be happy. The other curveball is that a nice used RX350, which is quite similar in size, has the Same V6, and way more lux features, is not far off in price from a new Rav4.
you can get used Rav4 V6 for less money than new one :-)
Old 03-02-12, 10:45 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Rav4s hold their value incredibly well here...used RX and Rav4 V6 are quite close in price.
Old 03-02-12, 11:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

^Rav4s hold their value incredibly well here...used RX and Rav4 V6 are quite close in price.
then even better buying it new, it will hold value better :-).

Rav4 holds its value really well in Europe too... but sales have dropped signficantly ever since recalls and competition that came out in 2009.
Old 03-02-12, 02:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Even the 4-speed, though, is seamless and smooth as silk. Toyota engineers know how to do smooth powertrains, even in the hybrids.

Like many SUVs, they are often driven in the snow, with salt on the roads. Perhaps some owners just don't wash the undersides as often as they should, and salt rusts out part of the pipes and attachments. In my state (VA), a vehicle won't pass the annual safety-inspection if there is a hole in the pipe or part of it is dangling.

The hood on the RAV-4, though, unlike the rest of the sheet metal, feels like it is made out of lead. Older, frail, or weaker persons may simply not be able to handle it with the manual prop-rod. The right-opening hatch, I agree would not be a problem unless, when loading/unloading, it forces you to walk out further into city-traffic, when parked, than is feasible. A number or RAV-4 reviewers, BTW, agree with me on that.

Thanks.
Smooth or not smooth, the 4 banger should get the 6 speed treatment. If the Highlander can have a 6 then so can the RAV4. If the Scion TC deserves a 6 speed, then I am sure the RAV deserves one too.

As for the hood prop, it really is no big deal. The RAV4 is an entry level model, Toyota needs to keep the price point down. Same thing with Corolla and other entry level models.
Old 03-02-12, 02:40 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

The Rav4 is one of my favorite Toyota models - I've toyed with the idea of selling my GS and getting one just for the sake of utility (gas mileage and repair costs don't hurt either), but I struggle with finding the right model:

The Sport model is my favorite (and quite a looker, I think) but it's impossible to find one with JBL or any of the other nice features. Toyota seems to build the Sport model as a small step up from the base model with a lot of room between it and the Limited.

The interior and features of the Limited are awesome, but I think the exterior is a bit tame for my tastes.

Actually AFAIK - the Sport model is the top of the line model....as it can ONLY be had with the V6 and AWD and includes the run flats so as to include the rear spare tear. We've often deliberated trading in ours for a used RX as well, but I don't typically like buying used unless its for recreational use.
Old 03-03-12, 01:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Smooth or not smooth, the 4 banger should get the 6 speed treatment. If the Highlander can have a 6 then so can the RAV4. If the Scion TC deserves a 6 speed, then I am sure the RAV deserves one too.
I suspect the new RAV 4-cylinder will have the 6-speed..

As for the hood prop, it really is no big deal. The RAV4 is an entry level model, Toyota needs to keep the price point down. Same thing with Corolla and other entry level models.
With an aluminum or plastic hood, I agree that, except for strong winds, it's not a big deal. But, with a steel hood like the RAV-4's that weighs a ton, for a lot of people, that's quite another matter. That's probably one of the reasons for Toyota's Roadside Assistance.
Old 03-03-12, 06:39 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I suspect the new RAV 4-cylinder will have the 6-speed..

With an aluminum or plastic hood, I agree that, except for strong winds, it's not a big deal. But, with a steel hood like the RAV-4's that weighs a ton, for a lot of people, that's quite another matter. That's probably one of the reasons for Toyota's Roadside Assistance.
I think you're exaggerating the hood a bit. I've had no issues with it whatsoever and have had not heard any complaints from other owners.
Old 03-03-12, 06:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ST430
I think you're exaggerating the hood a bit. I've had no issues with it whatsoever and have had not heard any complaints from other owners.
Perhaps. But, though I'm far from having one foot in the grave, I have to admit that, at my age, I don't have the same strength I did in my 20s. And I'm glad that you haven't had many issues.......that means you just don't have to open it as much... though it's a good idea to check the oil and fluids every 1000 miles or so; more on high-mileage vehicles with worn-engines.