Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CNN tries to fabricate story about SUA

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-12, 08:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts
Thumbs down CNN tries to fabricate story about SUA

CNN tries to fabricate story about TOYOTA SUA

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video...iref=allsearch
http://toyotanewsroom.com/releases/t...?view_id=27469

Watching this video... lol.

CNN is trying to fabricate the story based on Toyota internal ACC (adaptive cruise control) testing where engineers tried to make the ACC misbehave... and then they try to present it as failure in Toyota software.

Watching the video, it is crazy how dumb the interviewer is trying to be while engineer patiently tries to explain that they are testing the ACC on track.

He also doesnt understand what ACC is - I bet he thinks it is normal cruise control and doesnt understand why is it trying to accelerate.

Lady is very very patient... i would have bashed his head with the bat if he asked me 10 times the same question :-)

Last edited by spwolf; 03-01-12 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-01-12, 08:58 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Reporters and writers are sometimes like that. It really depends on the person doing the story. They will try to ask the same question in a different way in an effort to get some ridiculous answer so they can create some "mind-blowing" story. How do I know? 2 wonderful years of witnessing it first-hand.
Old 03-01-12, 09:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

yeah but main thing here is them not having a clue about what they are talking about, lol.

imagine them getting "document" from actual development stage, where things actually are wrong and bad, and there are software errors.

Premise here seems to be "here, we prove there could be an error!!!"... well of course there could be an error during the development, this is why you tests. I bet when the tested first implementation of ACC, they crashed few cars... you dont arrive at production product without having failures.

It is just idiotic... I think Toyota should sue them actually this time around.
Old 03-01-12, 11:23 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mind Blown! fail safe system working as it should. It was annoying to watch the reporter asking the same question over and over again. I stopped the video.
Old 03-02-12, 03:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by STIG
Mind Blown! fail safe system working as it should. It was annoying to watch the reporter asking the same question over and over again. I stopped the video.
worst thing is that this is internal pre-production testing... its results dont matter.
I am sure that they caught a lot of errors during any preproduction testing, thats the why it is there.

imagine airbag testing... "airbag testing for new advanced airbag system: airbags did not deploy in time". CNN: "TOYOTA AIRBAGS DO NOT WORK!!!!!!"

makes me sick to the stomach.
Old 03-02-12, 05:15 AM
js619858
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

News are in it to make money! It's still a business and needs to be profitable, that's why some will go to the extent to lie.
Old 03-02-12, 06:31 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 731 Likes on 503 Posts

I'm surprised they didn't chop her answers to say yes it can cause SUA
Old 03-02-12, 06:33 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It's all about ratings. Sensational journalism brings in the ratings and the bucks. Nevermind truth, your career is made or broken by the breakout stories you air. Witness Woodward and Bernstein; two plodding rear-echelon reporters who got lucky and broke Watergate to become overnight pundits. Ever since, inkstained wretches in the back of the copy room have been grabbing for that brass ring, much to the detriment of objective journalism. Now the reporter is part and parcel of the story, once anathema to the profession.
Old 03-02-12, 06:34 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

One should realize that the Reporter/Interviewer read the questions that are PRE-Submitted to him by other engineers, not really his questions at the current state so there will be repeated questions (questions that have been answered multiple times already).

The engineer is very calm and knowledgeable about the matter.
Old 03-02-12, 07:00 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 731 Likes on 503 Posts

Whoever has creative control is vetting these questions and it's obvious they're looking for a very specific answer. It's not like they're getting Twitter questions and having to ask every single one that comes on. He was fishing for an answer and he continuously reworded the question trying to get it
Old 03-02-12, 10:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
It's all about ratings. Sensational journalism brings in the ratings and the bucks..
Well, what's so "sensational" about it? We talk about this kind of stuff every day, here on this forum. For us, it's old hat.
Old 03-02-12, 10:27 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

I thought I read that Toyota has basically reserved the right to sue CNN for overselling this matter.
Old 03-02-12, 10:36 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by natnut
I thought I read that Toyota has basically reserved the right to sue CNN for overselling this matter.
i hope they do... because this is irresponsible journalism and deserves to get some heads on the platter. Why should Toyota stock holders/investors lose their money over obviously bad and sensationalistic reporting...
Old 03-02-12, 10:46 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, what's so "sensational" about it? We talk about this kind of stuff every day, here on this forum. For us, it's old hat.
At this point in time, imagine this headline on the front page of the NYT:

"TOYOTA ELECTRONIC THROTTLES FOUND DEFECTIVE!"

That would be sensational.
Old 03-04-12, 03:26 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I watched the thing the whole way through on CNN and was appalled.

However, given people's attention span these days, hopefully they got bored and turned it off.

Quick Reply: CNN tries to fabricate story about SUA