Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Biased car reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-12, 01:50 PM
visom1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Biased car reviews?

Hi everyone, whenever I check usnews and yahoo autos it seems like the top with the highest cars are usually korean and american... rarely ever a japanese car even though they're (as i believe) the best when it comes to reliability, looks and other features.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...ucks/rankings/ (look up any individual cars... japanese cars are lucky to receive a 8.0 rating, korean and americans always score higher than 9.0)

http://autos.yahoo.com/ (right side, user's pick)

what do you guys think?
Old 03-05-12, 07:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

yahoo pretty much ranks up there with MSNAuto - they make for good laughs
Old 03-06-12, 08:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Welome to CL, BTW.......I see you are virtually a brand-new member.

The fact is, like it or not, that American and Korean manufacturers ARE making better products now than in the past. That is not bias, but simply stating a fact. Of course, that doesn't mean that Japanese manufacturers are making poor vehicles by any means, and, in the well-respected Consumer Reports reliability-charts, Japanese-designed vehicles still take the majority of the top-reliability spots. Subaru is now CR's top-rated manufacturer as a whole. But what it DOES mean is that, in general, there is no longer that huge gap between Japanese-designed vehicles, in how well they perform and how reliable they are, that there was in the past.

But I agree with you that U.S. News and Yahoo are not the places I would go to first if I wanted a good well-rounded auto-review....there are far better reviews available than that. In fact, some of what I have read in local-newspaper auto reviews is so poorly-written that it was one of the things that got me to start writing reviews myself.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-06-12 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-06-12, 09:28 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All reviews are biased. If you want a completely objective review it would just be all numbers, stats, and measurements. The goal is to find sources of reviews that generally have the same priorities as you. Aside from certain personal tastes (body side moldings, LOL) I find mmarshal to have very similar priorities that I do when looking at a vehicle. I enjoy the monthly car mags too, but I prefer reading Automobile since I don't really care about 0-60 numbers when I'm looking for a daily driver. Nor do I care about the 'Ring. Never depend on reviews to dictate whether an exterior design is good or not. That's too personal a choice. When looking for a car, I've never even thought of looking for reviews on yahoo or msnauto. So many better sources out there.