Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

EXP 9 F concept (Bentley Bentayga SUV)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-18, 07:50 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^Nobody said anything about not having it as a product, simply about who might buy this and reactions to opinions. From my post.

But there are going to be customers for this with more money than brains, who'll buy simply to impress the hoi-polloi.
Old 01-19-18, 08:17 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
^^^Nobody said anything about not having it as a product, simply about who might buy this and reactions to opinions. From my post.
My post was merely a comment on your comment. So let's stop this p!ssing match, shall we?
Old 01-19-18, 08:42 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In other news, the Bentley Bentayga is headed to Pikes Peak, as I stated in my previous post. It will use the 600 hp W12 motor and it's going to have to navigate a 12.5 mile climb with 150+ corners that takes a 5000 lb SUV up to the 14,500 ft summit after ascending 4700 ft. A Dodge Viper is also competing. Two completely different vehicles to say the least.
Old 01-20-18, 12:56 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

dumb people buy it for the badge, even though it's ugly as f with fwd proportions.

rappers and kardashians should have better taste. Anyone can see how ugly this is.
Old 01-20-18, 01:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Is this about you? Did someone accuse you of being an idiot? More importantly, do you know anyone who wants to buy a Bentley Bentayga? The thread is about the Bentayga.
Of course not, it’s just an example of my point. Just because people make choices different than the choices you would make doesn’t mean they “have more money than brains”

In fact, you have no idea what choices you would make if you had a different set of circumstances.

I do in fact know people who own Bentleys. I don’t know someone specifically who has a Bentayga, but judging from the fact that I see more Bentaygas around here than I do any other Bentley or Rolls, that likely will change.

People like SUVs over Sedans nowadays. That preference clearly extends into the super luxury category. People who buy CRVs and Range Rovers and Q7s and Highlanders never go off-road. Why is hat not a joke yet a Bentayga is? Guy who makes $200k and buys a Q7, that’s a much more significant purchase for him financially than a guy who has $15M in net worth and buys a Bentayga, yet he isn’t shamed.

It’s just affluence shaming that’s all.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-20-18 at 02:01 AM.
Old 01-20-18, 03:35 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Guy who makes $200k and buys a Q7, that’s a much more significant purchase for him financially than a guy who has $15M in net worth and buys a Bentayga, yet he isn’t shamed.

I think the Bentayaga gets piled on specifically because it's so ungodly ugly. It has a little bit to do with the price, but only in the context of its hideousness. If there was a Maybach version of the GLS that was in the same price range (or a turbo W12 version of the Cayenne, etc), I don't think it would garner even a tiny fraction of the derision that the Bentayga gets. I don't think you'll see the Urus or Ferrari SUV make these kind of waves either, even though SUVs are WAY more outside the ethos for those brands than it is for Bentley. That, I think, makes it not really affluence shaming. It's bad taste shaming.
Old 01-20-18, 05:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think they’re ugly too, but I also think modern Rolls Royce’s are ugly.
Old 01-20-18, 02:22 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Of course not, it’s just an example of my point. Just because people make choices different than the choices you would make doesn’t mean they “have more money than brains”

In fact, you have no idea what choices you would make if you had a different set of circumstances.

I do in fact know people who own Bentleys. I don’t know someone specifically who has a Bentayga, but judging from the fact that I see more Bentaygas around here than I do any other Bentley or Rolls, that likely will change.

People like SUVs over Sedans nowadays. That preference clearly extends into the super luxury category. People who buy CRVs and Range Rovers and Q7s and Highlanders never go off-road. Why is hat not a joke yet a Bentayga is? Guy who makes $200k and buys a Q7, that’s a much more significant purchase for him financially than a guy who has $15M in net worth and buys a Bentayga, yet he isn’t shamed.

Top end sedans are still dominant in the luxury arena. Rolls Royce only does sedans and coupes, for now. Bentley has only done 1 SUV and I have never seen one on the road, reviews don't seem to be very good. The top popular flagship vehicles for Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, and Audi are still sedans, not SUV's.
Old 01-20-18, 03:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The LX handily outsells the LS, Q7 outsells the A8 by far, GLS I bet outsells the S class too.
I see a fair many Bentaygas on the road.
Old 01-20-18, 04:08 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw one in person parked at a restaurant last night and i have to say, it's not as ugly in person as it is in most pictures. It looks like a nice suv actually.
Old 01-20-18, 04:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And if the market wasn’t there, why would Rolls Royce be coming out with an suv? Why would Lamborghini?
Old 06-05-20, 08:11 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Bentley has built more than 20,000 Bentaygas in four years

It debuted all the way back in 2015

It might not feel like it, but Bentley has been building an SUV for four years now. The Bentayga was introduced in 2015 and entered production at the beginning of 2016. Since then, the model's lineup has expanded to a range of six variants and numerous powertrain options. In total, Bentley has built more than 20,000 examples of the Bentayga, and demand does not appear to be dropping.

Like Rolls-Royce, Lamborghini, and Aston Martin, Bentley turned to the crossover and SUV market for a bump in sales, and the Bentayga has been a brand MVP ever since. Buyers have the choice between the Bentayga, Bentayga V8, Bentayga V8 Design Series, Bentayga Speed, Bentayga Diesel, and Bentayga Hybrid, as to ensure there's something for every type of buyer.

The launch powertrain in the Bentayga was a twin-turbocharged W12. It made a claimed 599 horsepower and 664 lb-ft of torque. At full blast, it is capable of running 0-60 mph in 4.0 seconds and tops out at 187 mph. Bentley topped those impressive numbers with the release of the Bentayga Speed. It too used a twin-turbocharged W12, but on those models, it made 623 horsepower. With a top speed of 190 mph, Bentley claims the Speed is the fastest SUV in the world.

Downgrading in engine size and power, the Bentayga V8 was unveiled in 2018 with a twin-turbocharged 4.0-liter eight-cylinder engine. It makes 542 horsepower and 568 lb-ft of torque, and with the foot to the ground, it can do the 0-60-mph scoot in 4.4 seconds. Top speed is capped at 180 mph. Bentley offers a Bentayga V8 Design Series for those searching for a more specialized look.

The other two options are the hybrid model or the diesel model. The diesel, which is not available in the U.S., has a triple-charged 4.0-liter V8 that produces 429 horsepower and 664 pound-feet of torque. The plug-in hybrid, Bentley's first foray into brand electrification, combines a 17.3 kWh lithium-ion battery pack, an electric motor, and a V6 engine. Together, the system makes a claimed 443 horsepower and 516 lb-ft of torque.

If those versions of the Bentayga were too bland, Bentley has also offered several special-editions of the questionably designed luxury off-roader. There was the Pikes Peak edition that commemorated the Bentley setting the Pikes Peak SUV record. There was a Stetson edition with Texas flair. And we can't forget our personal favorite: the Bentley Bentayga Falconry by Mulliner.
Source