Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac Wants to Catch Lexus in Sales

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-12, 08:36 PM
eoncathell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that all true that Cadillac wants to beat Lexus in sales, but speaking the truth do Cadillac has all those extravagant models to beat a competitor, i find CTS as also one good among Cadillac models, i think they need still more groundwork to improvise their models so as to stay in competition!!

Car Parts

Last edited by eoncathell; 03-16-12 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-09-12, 09:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Cadillac's best year was 33 years ago for crying out loud. 33 years have passed since they sold their greatest number of cars.
And, don't forget, 30-35 years ago was EXACTLY when Cadillac was making much of its worst vehicles........Cimarrons, variable V8/6/4 engines, Droop-trunk Sevilles, Rattle-and-squeak interiors, and, of course, the infamous, Olds-designed 350 diesel V8 which sparked a class-action-suit. And some of the vehicles that followed that period, like the original Catera and CTS, weren't much better either. The 2Gen CTS, of course, is a vast-improvement in fit/finsh and interior-quality, but has still beeen unreliable.
Old 03-09-12, 10:09 AM
ggravant
Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And, don't forget, 30-35 years ago was EXACTLY when Cadillac was making much of its worst vehicles........Cimarrons, variable V8/6/4 engines, Droop-trunk Sevilles, Rattle-and-squeak interiors, and, of course, the infamous, Olds-designed 350 diesel V8 which sparked a class-action-suit. And some of the vehicles that followed that period, like the original Catera and CTS, weren't much better either. The 2Gen CTS, of course, is a vast-improvement in fit/finsh and interior-quality, but has still beeen unreliable.
But Cadillac is going in the right direction:

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/toyota-t...ity-study.html
Old 03-10-12, 02:45 PM
Haitwun
Pole Position

Last year, GM offered a series of "Main Street" events where they let consumers drive their cars alongside their competitors.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...-and-more.html

I attended two of these events and I have to say, GM shot themselves in the foot by doing this. Here is what I learned:
1. Buick LaCrosse AWD cannot compare to the refinement and quality of an Acura TL SH-AWD
2. I cannot fit in a Chevy Camaro but the Ford Mustang turned out to be quite roomy.
3. Chevy Cruze suffers from poor build quality, whereas the new Toyota Corolla and Hyundai Elantra feel upscale.
4. Chevy Volt handles like a shopping cart, whereas the Nissan Leaf is spritely
5. Cadillac SRX has an interior full of cheap plastics, whereas the Mercedes GLK, BMW X3 and Lexus RX all have sumptuous interiors
6. Chevy Tahoe cannot turn. Honda Pilot cannot either.

My point, General Motors needs to figure out how to build a competitive vehicle before they can see any increase in sales.
Old 03-10-12, 04:05 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Does Cadillac not know about the ES and RX? Those two are big BIG numbers for Lexus. Aside from the CTS, I don't think people know about the other models. Escalade maybe but not when gas prices went up a few years ago.

I did a SRX comparison test comparo drive that Cadillac did a while ago when it first came out. I couldn't stop thinking about how luxury feeling the RX was.
Old 03-10-12, 04:22 PM
ggravant
Driver

Originally Posted by Haitwun
Last year, GM offered a series of "Main Street" events where they let consumers drive their cars alongside their competitors.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...-and-more.html

I attended two of these events and I have to say, GM shot themselves in the foot by doing this. Here is what I learned:
1. Buick LaCrosse AWD cannot compare to the refinement and quality of an Acura TL SH-AWD
2. I cannot fit in a Chevy Camaro but the Ford Mustang turned out to be quite roomy.
3. Chevy Cruze suffers from poor build quality, whereas the new Toyota Corolla and Hyundai Elantra feel upscale.
4. Chevy Volt handles like a shopping cart, whereas the Nissan Leaf is spritely
5. Cadillac SRX has an interior full of cheap plastics, whereas the Mercedes GLK, BMW X3 and Lexus RX all have sumptuous interiors
6. Chevy Tahoe cannot turn. Honda Pilot cannot either.

My point, General Motors needs to figure out how to build a competitive vehicle before they can see any increase in sales.
Well, this is a Cadillac thread, and none were on your list, but it is true that GM in general has its work cut out for it.
Old 03-10-12, 07:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by huy33
Does Cadillac not know about the ES and RX? Those two are big BIG numbers for Lexus. Aside from the CTS, I don't think people know about the other models. Escalade maybe but not when gas prices went up a few years ago.

I did a SRX comparison test comparo drive that Cadillac did a while ago when it first came out. I couldn't stop thinking about how luxury feeling the RX was.
I think GM was Buick to fight the ES and LS. But Lexus does need a really good ES type vehicle to replace the DTS
Old 03-10-12, 08:23 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think GM was Buick to fight the ES and LS. But Lexus does need a really good ES type vehicle to replace the DTS
Can you rephrase that for me?
Old 03-10-12, 08:55 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Across the board, Cadillac (and GM) are generally 5-6 model years behind the curve. It used to be worse, so that's an improvement. Overall, the more I read over this thread and think about their claim to beat Lexus sales, the more I LOL. Sadly, the Volt is continuing the trend.
Old 03-10-12, 09:46 PM
ggravant
Driver

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Across the board, Cadillac (and GM) are generally 5-6 model years behind the curve. It used to be worse, so that's an improvement. Overall, the more I read over this thread and think about their claim to beat Lexus sales, the more I LOL. Sadly, the Volt is continuing the trend.
Oh geesh, give me an effin break. The CTS-V is 5 model years behind? What about the upcoming ATS? Oh and the SRX 2012 sales to date are 9149 and the RX is 10,830.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2012/03...uary-2012.html
Old 03-10-12, 10:30 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by ggravant
Oh geesh, give me an effin break. The CTS-V is 5 model years behind? What about the upcoming ATS? Oh and the SRX 2012 sales to date are 9149 and the RX is 10,830.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2012/03...uary-2012.html
It aint gonna happen. Limited production V models with gobs of power will do nothing to beat the volume companies. The main problem is Cadillac is still using squared off retro styling from the 70's. This is not where the industry is and will not appeal to the masses. Then there's the over-busy, mismatched interiors with gimmicky chome and holes all over. There's no grace and little class. Lastly, the new XTS has huge front and rear overhangs, making the car appear as if it's teetering on it's axis. Silly. All other automakers got the excessive overhang message five years ago and cut it out.
Like most GM lines, they are 5-6 years off, trying to play catch up.
Old 03-11-12, 12:12 AM
ggravant
Driver

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
It aint gonna happen. Limited production V models with gobs of power will do nothing to beat the volume companies. The main problem is Cadillac is still using squared off retro styling from the 70's. This is not where the industry is and will not appeal to the masses. Then there's the over-busy, mismatched interiors with gimmicky chome and holes all over. There's no grace and little class. Lastly, the new XTS has huge front and rear overhangs, making the car appear as if it's teetering on it's axis. Silly. All other automakers got the excessive overhang message five years ago and cut it out.
Like most GM lines, they are 5-6 years off, trying to play catch up.
But the CTS sells pretty well, so that plus the ATS might be significant. And as far as XTS excessive overhang ... compared to what? And even though they are not intended to be competitors, and styling is always subjective, the XTS looks a bit more modern than the LS in these pics IMO. I am not that fond of the styling of the XTS, but not because it looks 5 years behind, it is just not my up of tea (nor is the LS - but I do like the ATS). I agree that interiors are a weak point, but the ATS interior pic below looks improved, so if they continue on in that direction with other models it will only help. At least they seem to be trying harder than Lincoln.
Attached Thumbnails Cadillac Wants to Catch Lexus in Sales-xts.jpg   Cadillac Wants to Catch Lexus in Sales-ls.jpg   Cadillac Wants to Catch Lexus in Sales-ats.jpg  
Old 03-12-12, 11:17 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cadillac does offer great lease's and their product/vehicles are extremely pleasant to the eye and nice to drive. Ive driven many Cadillac's and they are definitely way ahead of any other american made competition. I believe they are made in Germany to a certain extent? The CTS, STS are both gorgeous and smooth riding vehicles. They however need to work on making heir interiors better and more luxury.
Old 03-12-12, 11:51 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by L3XOTIC
Cadillac does offer great lease's and their product/vehicles are extremely pleasant to the eye and nice to drive. Ive driven many Cadillac's and they are definitely way ahead of any other american made competition. I believe they are made in Germany to a certain extent? The CTS, STS are both gorgeous and smooth riding vehicles. They however need to work on making heir interiors better and more luxury.
The only Cadillac made in Germany was the awful Catera which ended production in 2002. CTS, STS (RIP), and original SRX were all made at the Lansing, MI Grand River assembly plant. DTS (RIP) was made at the Detroit Hamtramck plant alongside the Buick Lucerne. (Volt made there now) The current SRX, Terrain, etc. crossovers are made in Mexico.
Old 03-15-12, 05:33 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I understand the art&science design Caddy has is not to everyone's taste but that does not mean it is from the 70s (as far from retro as it can be, actually) nor is it 5-6 years behind. Performance wise, they remain behind their main German competitors but ahead of Lexus. Their interiors continue to need work but are light years ahead of the first CTS (which was light years ahead of any Caddy to date at its conception). Reliability also lags, but among American nameplates, Caddy is far ahead and I feel it is slowly getting to be at that world class level they strive. The problem is that their brand really consists of one model. That and the SRX. The ATS has a huge role to fill. And they very much need a full size flagship.

All the big brands have their bread and butter lineup. Bimmer has 3, 5, 7. MB has C, E, S. Audi has the A4, A6, A8. Lexus has the ES, GS, LS (a little mismatch here as it should be IS instead of the ES, but the ES is definitely their bread&butter car). Caddy has ATS (soon), CTS, and ?

I see the XTS as the ES at the fullsize luxury level. FWD, not really performance oriented, just comfy and luxurious (well supposedly for the Caddy). And excessive overhang?

Quick Reply: Cadillac Wants to Catch Lexus in Sales