Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac Wants to Catch Lexus in Sales

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-12, 08:49 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Cadillac Wants to Catch Lexus in Sales

Cadillac has world-domination on its agenda, as CEO Dan Akerson advises that the automaker is making every effort to steal Lexus’ number 4 spot for luxury automakers in the next ten years.

Part of the plan is more then double current sales figures, and doing so requires heavy competition with global leaders like Audi, Benz and BMW. To accomplish the goal, Cadillac is attempting to reach out to younger buyers, as the average Cadillac consumer is around 63 years-old.

“We are working on more new Cadillacs than at any point in the brand’s history,” Don Butler, GM vice president for Cadillac marketing, said last month in an interview in Chicago. “We’re constantly talking about what’s the best way to become this global player.”

New models are another way Cadillac is looking to expand, with a new larger sedan, and a smaller SUV both possible, along with a new Escalade.

Last year, 199,000 Cadillac models were sold, 152,000 of which were in the US. The automaker’s best year so far, however, was back in 1978, with 350,000 cars, and considering the decline in sales the brand has been experiencing the past five months, it seems it will not be easy for Cadillac to reach its target.

As for this year, the XTS and the ATS will be joining the Cadillac lineup to help broaden its appeal. A plug-in hybrid called the ELR is also in the works, although there is currently no release date.
Old 03-06-12, 08:53 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Cadillac does offer attractive leases.
Old 03-06-12, 09:04 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They need more models to choose from. The CTS, while I love the car, can only go so far. The ATS and XTS offer some reprieve, but the new CTS can't come soon enough... and they need a hi-po flagship sedan, something to go head to head with the S and LS (the XTS ain't it).
Old 03-06-12, 10:37 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
They need more models to choose from. The CTS, while I love the car, can only go so far. The ATS and XTS offer some reprieve, but the new CTS can't come soon enough... and they need a hi-po flagship sedan, something to go head to head with the S and LS (the XTS ain't it).
Agreed. Fact of the matter is they don't have the lineup currently to make their goal plausible
Old 03-06-12, 11:35 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Whatever. Despite my username, I've dismissed Cadillac from any future consideration due to the lack of quality.
Old 03-06-12, 12:58 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Whatever. Despite my username, I've dismissed Cadillac from any future consideration due to the lack of quality.
X2, I'd never consider a Cadillac.
Old 03-06-12, 02:51 PM
Ty419
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does GM care to share how many of those Cadillacs were purchased using an employee discount?

Didn't think so.
Old 03-06-12, 03:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I think Cadillac does have a chance to beat Lexus in sales. I could see America rallying behind them if Cadillac did some homework and put out the right product.
Old 03-06-12, 04:30 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

WORLD DOMINATION?

Man, what are they smoking?

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think Cadillac does have a chance to beat Lexus in sales. I could see America rallying behind them if Cadillac did some homework and put out the right product.
I barely raise an eyebrow looking at a cts-v. Other than that, they have nothing desirable

Oh, I rather stand behind and support Ford than GM.
Old 03-08-12, 01:20 PM
LexFather

So the avg Caddy customer is 63? . Caddy is choosing the low point for Lexus to say "we will pass them" which isn't saying much and its not like Lexus is standing still. I believe in Lexus best years they sold a little over 500,000 a year and that was with a smaller lineup.

Cadillac's best year was 33 years ago for crying out loud. 33 years have passed since they sold their greatest number of cars. I wish companies would just get to work and let the numbers speak instead of making these statements. Caddy really seems to be onto something in some cases and totally lost in some. They are going to need hit after hit after hit for a couple of decades to make this happen.

The growth will come from China, India, Russia etc....

Old 03-08-12, 02:40 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only model I'm aware of is that new one with the sharp angles that looks like a block of cheese. Obviously Cadillac failed on marketing to people like me lol
Old 03-08-12, 03:06 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ty419
Does GM care to share how many of those Cadillacs were purchased using an employee discount?

Didn't think so.
Or by the rental car companies? Never seen a Lexus at Enterprise. LOL
Old 03-08-12, 03:29 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

It all comes down to this. Cadillac styles their vehicles to look like something from thirty to fourty years ago. Lexus styles their vehicles to look like tomorrow. The majority of today's market prefers going forward, not backward. This is where Cadillac is held back. I've said it a million times before and will continue to say it again... *retro has limited appeal and does not sell in large numbers.*
Old 03-08-12, 04:34 PM
ggravant
Driver

I like the Cadillac style and I would certainly take the CTS-V wagon with a manual tranny if I were looking at cars in that price range. There is a CTS coupe in the parking lot at work along with a couple Lexus ISes, and in person that CTS just looks great in comparison, which surprised me because in pictures it does not look as good. I think with more models they should at lest head in the right direction. It also seems like their 3 year dependability is improving, which can't hurt.
Old 03-08-12, 04:55 PM
AMGWNAB
Rookie

I can't stand their attempts at SUV's

-Will

Quick Reply: Cadillac Wants to Catch Lexus in Sales