Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche 911 design chief: Next GT3 will have only one transmission - and likely PDK

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-12, 06:31 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great news. Now to find a high paying job so I can get this and the GT2.
Old 03-07-12, 06:43 PM
rocks
Driver

Originally Posted by RaceSC300
I am not saying it doesn't make sense for manufacturers to stop making them, the buy rate is 3-5% i have heard, but that doesn't mean people can't lament their passing.

I didn't say it was wholey absent. I am certainly saying that the art of driving is severly diminished with DCT/shift your own autos. For people who have driven both, flicking a paddle and clipping a perfect apex isn't as involving and satisfying as dancing on the pedals to hit the perfect heel and toe and clipping a perfect apex. Also, we all know that 90% of supercars are bought solely to cruise the boulevard, so the art of driving is lost completely lost on them.

I am not here to argue. I know people have different preferences. I just wish people weren't so quick to dismiss a manual gearbox because their are older technology.

P.S. I might be biased, I drive a 600hp manual car in traffic and on the track.
Old 03-07-12, 06:51 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with the majority here, both should be offered. However if i was a buying a Porsche 911 I want PDK.
Old 03-07-12, 07:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

It goes both ways I guess. The manual shifter will never be as quick as the PDK but the loss in connection between the driver and the car is negative. I think they should really do whatever needed to produce both. Most drivers of the GT3 will prefer the manual, but I think I would go with the PDK for everyday ease and faster lap times. I think what the designers are thinking may be that a chassis as communicative as the GT3 may have a little room for a decrease in that connection .
Old 03-08-12, 07:40 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RaceSC300
I am not saying it doesn't make sense for manufacturers to stop making them, the buy rate is 3-5% i have heard, but that doesn't mean people can't lament their passing.

I didn't say it was wholey absent. I am certainly saying that the art of driving is severly diminished with DCT/shift your own autos. For people who have driven both, flicking a paddle and clipping a perfect apex isn't as involving and satisfying as dancing on the pedals to hit the perfect heel and toe and clipping a perfect apex. Also, we all know that 90% of supercars are bought solely to cruise the boulevard, so the art of driving is lost completely lost on them.

I am not here to argue. I know people have different preferences. I just wish people weren't so quick to dismiss a manual gearbox because their are older technology.

P.S. I might be biased, I drive a 600hp manual car in traffic and on the track.
Agreed. For Porsche to go this route really makes them lose that engaging specialness. Maybe they need to go read reviews of their cars and part of the HUGE reason they win so many comparos and reviews, the fact they might be slower but they offer a manual and they are simply more involving than any automatic.

We all know the numbers are in an automatics favor but gotdamn life is not about numbers and life is not about the fastest, the most, or logic. Life is about ****ing up and making mistakes and loving things that might not make the best sense.

Next thing they will tell us just sit in the car and let the computer drive b/c the computer can get us there .8 seconds faster.

Old 03-08-12, 02:37 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As cars start to have more capabilities such has faster handling response, gobs and gobs of power etc, it's harder for a driver to concentrate and make the physical movements that a manual transmission requires. Looking at it through a racing aspect it is more efficient just to be able to flick a paddle to change the gear in a even more efficient manner than a manual gearbox, it saves time and lets the driver concentrate more on whatever else he needs to do to be fast. Now, for the purist driver that loves to go hunt down twisty canyon roads to get his blood pumping while not trying to be as fast as possible, but to have as much fun as possible, there should and IMO will be a time for a manual. Of course, people will always have their opinions and not everybody will agree on this subject and will argue why which one is better than the other. To me there is a special place for manuals and a special place for advanced dual-clutch transmissions. But, the matter of fact is that the enthusiast will never die out