Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Chevy Malibu's turbo four rated at 269 HP, 0-60 in 6.3 seconds

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-12, 06:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Ah I see............but probably to an extent (since after all the Opel/Vauxhall Insigna, it's Buick counterparts as well as this Malibu use the Epsilon II body platform of GM).

Anyways, I meant export globally...............which GM states that their eyeing in more than 100 countries.

In Australia, this will slot below the Commodore (since Holden doesn't have the Insignia).

And from where I'm from, Chevrolet does not have a mid-size/executive/D-SEGMENT vehicle yet (i.e. the highest grade passenger car is only the Cruze). Initially, we planned to bring in the Epica diesel.............but the Epica ceased production so the Malibu would be great imho.

Malibu is definitively going everywhere, it is coming here in few months too. I think it shares a lot with Insignia though.

It really does seem like GM is not treating Opel right, as if they are putting all the costs on Opel side and then reap the rewards on Daewoo side.
Old 03-09-12, 06:35 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
who cares?!?!?!?

A lot of mom's out there racing in their Camry or what?

I really like the looks of the back...
really shares that Camaro taillight treatment
Old 03-10-12, 12:20 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Even though the Camry has better figures I would go with the Chevy in a heartbeat. The styling is very beautiful for a car in this segment and the interior is quite impressive in person also. Of course, you're not going to buy a car in this class segment to worry about 0-60 times and being quick.
Old 03-10-12, 04:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by adamls2
Even though the Camry has better figures I would go with the Chevy in a heartbeat. The styling is very beautiful for a car in this segment and the interior is quite impressive in person also. Of course, you're not going to buy a car in this class segment to worry about 0-60 times and being quick.
well article and gm pointed how quick the car is... we just pointed that "boring" Camry is quicker.
it is not because camry wants to be fastest car on the road, rather it is side product of simply better engineering that led to 400lbs lighter car.
Old 03-10-12, 06:02 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
well article and gm pointed how quick the car is... we just pointed that "boring" Camry is quicker.
it is not because camry wants to be fastest car on the road, rather it is side product of simply better engineering that led to 400lbs lighter car.
plus, if this GM follows suit with every other GM on the planet, it is built cheaply and in 5 years, the engine will be a turd, oil leaks, boost leaks, coolant leaks, you name it... turbo 4 cylinders are ~not~ for the masses, they are for the enthusiasts - they simply have to be run too hard to make good power, and the general population is not good about the requirements of regular oil changes, etc.

I love turbo 4 cylinders, like a lot of other enthusiasts here. They just aren't for the general populace that just wants a car that accelerates well and gets good fuel economy (they do get good fuel economy, and they do accelerate well, but in this case, displacement matters) For the enthusiasts out there, seeing that lower rpm max torque number is worrying because that means they used a really small turbo and it is likely maxed out at or just barely above stock power levels...
Old 03-10-12, 09:08 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its a Malibu when its all said and done.
Old 03-10-12, 09:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Maybe it's just me, but in a car like this, I'd rather just have the smoothness/simplicity of 6 cylinders.
Some small turbo 4-bangers, like the VW/Audi 2.0T, can be real gems, but, in general, I agree........I'd also rather have a six.
Old 03-10-12, 10:23 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
who cares?!?!?!?

A lot of mom's out there racing in their Camry or what?

I really like the looks of the back...

To get it out the way so that it isn't brought up again.
Old 03-10-12, 10:34 AM
VIPG35
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like they copied the gs taillights sort of
Old 03-10-12, 02:11 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPG35
Looks like they copied the gs taillights sort of
yep, I had the same thought.
Old 03-11-12, 08:38 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
turbo 4 cylinders are ~not~ for the masses, they are for the enthusiasts - they simply have to be run too hard to make good power, and the general population is not good about the requirements of regular oil changes, etc.

I love turbo 4 cylinders, like a lot of other enthusiasts here. They just aren't for the general populace that just wants a car that accelerates well and gets good fuel economy
please reset your time machine from 1985 and come join the rest of us here in 2012

just b/c toyota doesn't (currently) sell turbo engines and therefore you likely have no recent experience with them does not make what you state to be fact. and if toyota engines were better designed for the non-regular-interval-oil-changing general population (as you imply) then toyota would not have had a huge oil sludge recall/lawsuit on their hands. the fact is most other manufacturers are coming to realize the advantages in efficiency of turbocharging smaller engines, something that a handful of manufacturers have understood for the past decade or so
Old 03-11-12, 09:15 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
please reset your time machine from 1985 and come join the rest of us here in 2012

just b/c toyota doesn't (currently) sell turbo engines and therefore you likely have no recent experience with them does not make what you state to be fact. and if toyota engines were better designed for the non-regular-interval-oil-changing general population (as you imply) then toyota would not have had a huge oil sludge recall/lawsuit on their hands. the fact is most other manufacturers are coming to realize the advantages in efficiency of turbocharging smaller engines, something that a handful of manufacturers have understood for the past decade or so
I'm not sure how you took my post as pro-toyota and anti anything else, I am just talking about the engines and the way they perform. The average consumer that would buy a car like a Malibu has zero respect for the fact that hot oil should be allowed to circulate after a drive, and that just turning the car off immediately after a hard drive will shorten the engine and turbo life.

No recent experience with turbocharged engines... Hmmm... I am turbocharging my IS300 this week, in my garage. I have extensive experience with the current Mazda offerings, as well as the current Mitsubishi offerings. I live and breathe turbo cars (and trucks)...

This is a generalization, I know, but, buyers of inexpensive 4 door sedans are generally the type to slack on maintenance. They just don't care about their cars as much as an enthusiast that buys a turbo car... I'm not saying the car will be a terrible car, but unless GM has significantly increased their reliability (they haven't) then they will end up like the current crop of Malibus with oil leaks, intake leaks, etc. couple that with an owner base less likely to repair their car and maintain them, and it might be a big mess...

Then you have the enthusiast that wants one, well, with a tiny turbo, not going to make much more power there either... For this consumer segment, a fuel efficient v6 makes the most sense...
Old 03-11-12, 09:25 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah,like I would buy a GM 4 cyl turbo.
Old 03-11-12, 02:47 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Speaking of turbos, I've noticed that Ford in their TV ads for anything with Eco Boost don't mention what it is. They just talk about the power of a larger engine and fuel economy of a smaller engine. It makes me wonder if they don't want to play up the word turbocharged to potential buyers.
Old 03-11-12, 04:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,447 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I too would still prefer this as a top trim option. That's why I'm so dissapointed the 2013 ford fusion only offers 4s as well
blame the govt for the gun to industry's head on fuel economy. another example is the 4GS won't have a V8.

as for the fusion, i'm sure market research showed few were willing to pay the premium in that market segment.

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Speaking of turbos, I've noticed that Ford in their TV ads for anything with Eco Boost don't mention what it is. They just talk about the power of a larger engine and fuel economy of a smaller engine. It makes me wonder if they don't want to play up the word turbocharged to potential buyers.
i bet they don't - most people equate turbo with 'problems'.

Quick Reply: 2013 Chevy Malibu's turbo four rated at 269 HP, 0-60 in 6.3 seconds