Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Exact Copy of Nurburgring Proposed in Nevada !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-12, 03:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Exact Copy of Nurburgring Proposed in Nevada !!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.gtspirit.com/2012/03/10/e...sed-in-nevada/

The Nürburgring is arguably one of the most impressive tracks in the worlds. The famous German circuit located in the Eifel mountains, is known for its motorsports history, length and challenge it provides. Therefore the Nürburgring a major attraction for petrol heads from all over the world.
Besides being a driving enthusiasts’ Valhalla, the Ring serves nowadays as a demanding proving ground for car manufacturers and media. Many of them use the 22,8km long Nordschleife as a standard to publish their lap times achieved with their cars and sometimes even unveil a special Nürburgring Edition. This might upset Top Gear host James May, who has regularly expressed his dissatisfaction with the influence of the track when it’s used by car makers to develop new models. But the huge impact of the Nürburgring inspires other people.
Bruton Smith, the CEO of Speedway Motorsports, has proposed to build an exact replica of the German circuit in Nevada. In an interview with SiriusXM Sports he talked about possibly building a duplicate of the Nürburgring outside of Las Vegas. The 84-year-old Smith has been talking to the Governor and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), which administers over 75% of the land in Nevada. Smith wants the BLM to donate 8,000 acres (32 km²) of land for the project.

If this project gets the green light from the authorities, Smith will ‒ with some help of engineers in Germany ‒ create an exact replica of the Nürburgring. He also said this track wouldn’t be used for racing, but for only testing. A major benefit of this proposed circuit is the fact is could be used 12 months a year, which according to Smith is not possible in Germany. The Nevada Ring could be used by car manufacturers as well as individuals.
This idea might seem a little bit far stretched, but let’s not forget this is Las Vegas ‒ a city filled with replicas of Paris, Venice, New York and more. But the myth of the Nürburgring in Germany is not only created by its history, but also by the regions sometimes challenging weather. While Las Vegas enjoys abundant sunshine year-round, this can’t be said about the original track in Germany.
Old 03-10-12, 04:16 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the idea but I doubt it will be used year round. I don't think many auto's are going to want to push their cars in the 100+ degree heat during the summer months in Vegas.
Old 03-10-12, 04:22 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Talking

Originally Posted by anthrax144
Love the idea but I doubt it will be used year round. I don't think many auto's are going to want to push their cars in the 100+ degree heat during the summer months in Vegas.
Ha! That's exactly why they test them in Phoenix - to see how they can handle the extreme heat of 115° and no humididity. I have seen numerous cars wrapped in funky colors/shapes just to throw off photogs and Nissan has used a couple of the tracks from here in commercials.

I'd be game to take a run at it if they really open it. Wonder how long it will take the luxury rental car companies in Vegas to put a "uh uh, no way, no how" clause in their agreements to stop people from taking a Ferrari around it for S & G's...

Big Mack
Old 03-10-12, 05:02 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I would consider moving back to Vegas if they do this.
Old 03-10-12, 05:40 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If the rumor of the Nurburgring being closed down in germany is true, this track would make perfect sense
Old 03-10-12, 06:16 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Sucks about no racing. Still cool about manufactures and individuals being able to use it.
Old 03-10-12, 06:17 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Building an American Nurburgring is cool but I would rather have a stateside Autobahn. Wouldn't that be the cats meow!
Old 03-10-12, 07:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Ha! That's exactly why they test them in Phoenix - to see how they can handle the extreme heat of 115° and no humididity. I have seen numerous cars wrapped in funky colors/shapes just to throw off photogs and Nissan has used a couple of the tracks from here in commercials.

I'd be game to take a run at it if they really open it. Wonder how long it will take the luxury rental car companies in Vegas to put a "uh uh, no way, no how" clause in their agreements to stop people from taking a Ferrari around it for S & G's...

Big Mack
I live in AZ as well as see them all of the time on the 303. I have even seen the Fisker Karma testing early last year
Old 03-10-12, 10:22 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that would be a great idea. The 'ring in Vegas. Open up a driving school, charge admission, etc. I'm sure there are people in 'Murica who would love to take their car out on it.
Old 03-12-12, 02:40 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Build it! I would love to go and do some runs.
Old 03-12-12, 06:25 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Here's hoping the states get an Autobahn someday. Not likely to happen, but a man can still dream..

Old 03-12-12, 09:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

If they ever did it would make sense to have it in the desert. I already have sections of desert highway that I frequent and can easily max my car with no issue ( especially with the pathetic limited top speed of 130 mph that comes with the LS460)
Old 03-12-12, 09:54 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
If they ever did it would make sense to have it in the desert. I already have sections of desert highway that I frequent and can easily max my car with no issue ( especially with the pathetic limited top speed of 130 mph that comes with the LS460)
Yeah, I know that driving from California to Nevada (Vegas), the desert highway is just a straight shot most of the way; unfortunately it's only 2 lanes, and the speed limit is 75.

It would be great if they added a 3rd lane, and have the far left lane have no limit.
Old 03-12-12, 10:22 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

If they ever did it would make sense to have it in the desert.
Actually, I don't think it would. The cost to keep the road up to the conditions required for 120+ miles an hour in our heat is pretty prohibitive. It's already expensive just to maintain the roads, and they're only rated for 55/65/75. Ratings of 120+ require much better pavement, as, I'm sure you already know, one good bump and you're tucking, rolling, and grabbing the "oh, this is gonna hurt like a motherfather!!" handle. Add to that the idea that the road would have all kinds of vehicles on it, and many Americans have no idea how to properly drive, and the concept of an Autobahn here goes out the window. Hell, we can't even get people to turn in the correct lane when making a right or a left at an intersection so traffic can flow! (mini rant here...I hate it when people don't know how to stay on the inside lane when making their turns properly)

I already have sections of desert highway that I frequent and can easily max my car with no issue ( especially with the pathetic limited top speed of 130 mph that comes with the LS460)
I have no idea what you're talking about, Tammer.

Originally Posted by incredible
Yeah, I know that driving from California to Nevada (Vegas), the desert highway is just a straight shot most of the way; unfortunately it's only 2 lanes, and the speed limit is 75.
75 when there are cars around. No cars & no speed planes? Been passed by people when I was doing 90. They were moooovin. It was a Porsche and a Ferrari, and they really, really wanted to get where they were going (Vegas). Too bad they didn't see the cops that had them pulled over about an hour later as I passed...what a shame.

Originally Posted by incredible
It would be great if they added a 3rd lane, and have the far left lane have no limit.
See above. Maintaining it is a nightmare. Not happening.

Big Mack
Old 03-12-12, 10:28 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

What if the DMV creates a new license, a driving exam that requires you to test your skills at high speeds.

The people who pass get the new license, and instead of adding a new lane or changing the limit, why not have a Toll Road with no speed limit? That way, if you want to go fast, you gotta pay.

Yeah, maintaining the roads might be a lot, but if Germany can do it; why can't we?

Quick Reply: Exact Copy of Nurburgring Proposed in Nevada !!!!!!!!!!!!!