Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2012 Toyota Prius c

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-12, 02:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default MM Review: 2012 Toyota Prius c

By CL-Member and non-member request, a Review of the 2012 Toyota Prius C.

IN A NUTSHELL: This could (?) be the final nail in the Honda Insight's coffin.

CLOSEST COMPETITOR: Honda Insight

OVERVIEW:

I've already covered the noted history of the Prius in the American-market in other Prius reviews, including my reviews of the Second-Generation, Third-Generation, and extended-length Prius v wagon versions. And, after the Prius c debuts, we will also see another Prius model as well...the extended-range Plug-in Hybrid that will compete with the Chevrolet Volt. So, I won't repeat much of what I said in earler reviews again here. But, still, I can't help but notice that it continually seems to be the poster-child vehicle for environmentalists, college-professors, tree-huggers, Hollywood/Beverly-Hills, TV/movie celebrities, and many persons who simply dislike cars and driving, period.

OK, then...so much for the car's politics. Now on to the latest (until the plug-in model comes out) Prius-c version. I really don't fully understand why Toyota spent the resources to develop and market this version, especially right after the money and time it spent on the extended-length Prius-v wagon. Its only true competition that I can see (at least on paper) in the small hybrid-class is the Honda Insight, which starts out slightly less at $18,300, is extremely well-assembled like all Hondas, but, by comparison, has a crude and unsophisticated hybrid-powertrain with significantly lower gas-mileage. The Insight's Munchkin rear-seat room and low-roofline is also all but useless to anything but small children and as a package-shelf. The Insight, as most of you know, has also been very slow-selling despite its low-price (perhaps for the reasons I just noted above), and Honda can't be making much money off of it (perhaps they are even losing money?). Even the regular Prius II/III/IV/V models, at higher prices, vastly outsell the Insight. So, as I see it, the addition of another new Prius model, now selling roughly in the Insight's price-range, was probably unnecessary. But nevertheless, Toyota decided to do so, and my prediction is that this could (?) be the last straw for the Insight. Time will tell, but I don't think it will be around much longer. Even without the new Prius c as another competitor, its days were probably numbered, though high gas-prices might still help its sales some.

For 2012, four trim-versions of the Prius c are offered....Prius c One, Two, Three, and Four. Base-prices range from $18,950 on the One version (virtually the same as the Honda Insight) to $23,230 for the Four....still, IMO, quite reasonable for a hybrid, if the dealerships don't mark them up or price-gouge. All versions come with a gas-powered in-line 1.5L four of 73 HP and 82 ft-lbs. of torque and a pair of small Hybrid-Drive electric motors for 60 HP and combined 99 HP (the combined torque-figure is not published). The electric-drive-battery is a nickel-metal-hydride. Lithium/ion batteries are now state-of-the-art for some hybrids. But, since they are very expensive, the Prius c's low price may not feasibly allow their use. (I don't criticize car-makers for cost-cutting when they don't have much choice). I suspect, however, that we will see a lithium-ion battery with the upcoming Plug-in-Hybrid Prius model, which will cost more and compete with the admittedly-overpriced Chevrolet Volt. All Prius-c versions, like with most small hybrids, get a CVT continuously-variable-transmission.

For the review, I chose a white Prius c Two model (one of the lower-priced models), without a lot of options, as I figured most people buying this car are looking for a bargain-priced hybrid. It had a rather attractive two-wone black/light-gray cloth interior, and listed for slightly under $21,000. Details coming up.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2012 Toyota Prius c Two

BASE PRICE: $19,900

OPTIONS:

Carpeted Mats: $225

Rear Bumper Protector: $79

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $760

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $20,964

EXTERIOR COLOR: Super White

INTERIOR: Black/Light-Gray Fabric

DRIVETRAIN: FWD, Transversely-mounted 1.5L in-line four, 73 HP @ 4800 RPM; Torque 82 ft-lbs. @ 4000 RPM, AC/permanent-magnet electric motor/generator (60 HP/ Torque 125 ft-lbs.; Total combined 99 HP/combined torque-figure not published), Nickel-metal-hydride propulsion-battery, Continuously-Variable-Transmission.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 53 City / 46 Highway / 50 Combined

PLUSSES:

Superb fuel-economy.

Seamless gas/electric hybrid-operation.

Smooth CVT transmission avoids motorboating/rubber-banding feel.

Generally good but slightly slow steering response.

Good wind-noise control.

Excellent regenerative-braking system.

Better braking-feel than on some other hybrids.

Generally good underhood layout (though most hybrid owners don't do their own work).

Superb (IMO) exterior paint-colors.

Excellent paint-job (though white color lacks some gloss)

Mirror-mounted turn-signals.

Door-ajar indicator on the dash.

(Mostly) better interior trim materials than other Prius models.

Simpler, easier-to-use controls/displays than other Prius models.

Stereo sound-quality quite good for the class.

Well-done cargo area.

Two-year Toyota free factory-scheduled maintenance.

May qualify for tax exemptions/credits and/or HOV-Rush-Hour priviledges.

MINUSES:

Somewhat numb steering feel.

Low-mounted inside rear-view mirror cuts out some forward-view on the windshield for tall persons.

cheap-looking/feeling silver-plastic wheel-covers.

Extremely small window rear wiper-arm.

Wide D-pillars and smallish rear-window impede some rear/side vision.

Partially-hidden brake master-cylinder under the firewall.

Annoying zig-zag shift-lever.

Flimsy plastic interior door-panels.

Flimsy glovebox and latch.

No standard body-side moulding.

EXTERIOR:

Although the overall size/shape of the Prius c is smaller than its other Prius brothers, its general styling still pretty-much makes it recognizable as a member of the Prius family. Although still somewhat insect and fish-like in the front-end and grille, I personally don't think that it is as ugly as the styling on the regular third-generation Prius models....especially up front. The exterior sheet-metal is on the thin-side, like on other Prius models (one reason for the light weight and excellent gas mileage), but, to my senses, actually felt a little more-solid. There are no standard body-side mouldings to help ward-off parking-lot dings, but they are available as dealer-accessories. This is just simple cost-cutting and profiteering....auto companies used to make mouldings standard, but now charge extra for them (when available at all) as accessories. The paint-job is the usual Toyota excellence, smooth as a politician's campaign-talk, but the white paint on my review-car, as with many white paint-jobs, didn't have a lot of shine or luster. The array of paint colors offered, IMO, besides the usual white/silver/gray/black, was excellent.....bright-blue, bright-red, a spicy-orange, and a light greenish/aqua metallic. There wasn't much trim on the outside, except for flat-black mouldings around the windows that I didn't find particularly attractive. The twin outside-mirrors swiveled/snap-locked very smoothly and crisply, and one nice touch on them was the built-in turn-signal indicators. My review-car had smallish stamped-steel wheels instead of alloys, and, as with many other smaller/entry-level cars from several manufacturers, the painted-plastic wheel-covers looked and felt thin and cheap. The ground-clearance, especially under the low-hanging front air-dam, was on the low side. My test-car had a $79 black strip of vinyl/plastic across the rear bumper-step to protect the white paint while loading/unloading things. The four doors and hatch-lid shut with about the same level of solidness as they do on other Prius models.....adequate but mediocre. The Honda Insight, IMO, by a slight margin, wins in the door-solidness and sheet-metal department.

UNDERHOOD:

Open the lightweight hood, and it is held open with a manual prop-rod...as usual for a car in this price-class. There is an insulation-pad underneath to help with noise from the gas-engine. Most hybrid-owners, due to the complexity and sensitivity of the components, don't do their own underhood work (much of that work requires a trained technician). But, for the few that do (and for minor service on the gas-engine), the small engine-compartment, nevertheless, still provides generally good component-access. Both the transversely-mounted 1.5L gas-engine four and the hybrid-electric motor fit in the small engine-compartment quite well, and there is space to work around them. Not all of the components have plastic-covers on them, but one annoying cover is built into the rear firewall, over the brake master-cylinder. It must be lifted off first, to remove the filler-cap and add brake fluid, but not just to check the fluid itself, which is easily visible through the white-plastic container. The rest of the filler-caps, dipsticks and reserviors are visible and easily-accessed.

INTERIOR:

In general, I was more pleased with the interior than I expected to be, especially after my less-than-pleasant experiences with other recent Prius models. Some of the auto-press reviews I've seen criticize the interior of the Prius c as having poor, cheap materials, but, in general, I have to disagree. I found only two things inside really substandard. One was the ultra-thin plastic inner-door-panels that would buckle under almost any pressure at all. The other was the flimsy-feeling glovebox door and latch. But the rest of the interior-materials, IMO, were at least one or two grades above those of the regular third-generaion Prius. It wasn't luxury-grade trim by any means, but the plastics used inside, especially on the dash, had a nice grainy-pattern and enough solidness that they didn't look and feel like something out of a box of Cracker-Jack. The sun-visors were hard plastic, but large and solid-feeling. The big climate-control **** on the dash, unlike some other Toyota/Scion models, had a slick, quality-look and feel. The front seats were on the small side, but reasonably supportive and comfortable. The two-tone fabric and padding on the seats had a fairly soft feel (many car seats these days, IMO, are much too firm). There was enough headroom in front for guys my size (6' 2"). Headroom and legroom in back were inadequate for tall people...but still somewhat better than with the Insight. The stereo had a pretty-good sound quality for this class. The controls/displays, IMO, especially without the NAV option, were much better than those of other Prius models, and considerably less-complex. The stereo and climate controls (I've already described the nice big temperature-****) were simple and pleasant to use. The gauge/video display, though (still) digital and lacking the analog-designs that I prefer, has been moved from the center of the dash (where I thought it was irritating) to a slightly more-conventional position closer to the drivers' natural line-of-sight, almost right behind the steering wheel (though still a little high up on the dash), so the driver doesn't have to move his or her eyes as much. The idiotic tunnel/bridge console on the regular Prius, with its seat-heater switches all the way down on the floor near the gas-pedal, has been replaced, on the Prius c, by a much more conventional and (IMO) easier-to-use console and transmission-shifter. Unfortunately, the shifter, like with most Toyota products, still has the (IMO) annoying zig-zag pattern. In back, the materials used in the cargo area have also been vastly-improved...I'll get to those next.

CARGO COMPARTMENT/TRUNK:

One does not expect a huge cargo-compartment in a subcompact car this size, but, even with the slightly drop-down rear-roof, it is reasonably roomy and space-efficient for this class. Lift the lightweight (and not particularly solid) hatch-lid, and there is generally room for a fair amount of packages and luggage.The trim-level of the compartment is reasonably-good for the price, with black fabric/carpet on the floor, and the fairly solid, fabric-trimmed, one-piece cargo-cover panel is light-years ahead of the ultra-flimsy, paper-thin cargo pull-shade (which I have criticized more than once) that is found in other Prius models. Underneath the floor-panel is, as usual, a temporary-spare tire. The rear seats, as with virtually all hatchbacks/wagons, fold down for added cargo-space.

ON THE ROAD:

Start the hybrid-powertrain with a regular ignition-key and side-column ignition switch ...unusual for a hybrid (NAV-equipped models get an engine START/STOP button). Depending on the charge-state of the big hybrid propulsion-battery, either the gas engine will start up at first, or the computer and electronics will cycle through a few seconds of preparation. When you are ready to go, a "Ready" sign will light up on the dash. Then shift into gear and go. If it is in pure-electric mode, you will take off virtually silent, like a golf-cart, with a very faint electric-whine from the motor. The gas-engine, when it cuts in, only gives a small amount of engine-exhaust noise on acceleration. The system, as long as it has with sufficient battery-charge, tends to stay on the electric motor on very light acceleration, with the gas-engine cutting in when more power is asked for, or to recharge the battery. A hybrid power-flow gauge on the upper-dash with colored-arrows, near the digital speedometer, shows when the gas engine cuts in and out and then the electronics are doing all the work. The gas-engine, of course, shuts off at idle to conserve fuel, and automatically restarts when you hit the gas....without the bump-and-jump motions you sometimes get with the Honda Insight and Civic Hybrid. The whole hybrid-system is one of the most seamless I've driven yet, and has adequate power, with the vehicle lightly-loaded, for most normal driving...but don't try to drag-race Mustags or Camaros on a Friday night. The CVT transmission doesn't have the 6 built-in manual-shift stages common to Nissan and Subaru CVTs, but it operates seamlessly, and didn't seem to have any of the pronounced motorboating/rubber-banding characteristics like the one on the Scion iQ, which I found annoying to drive. A marked "B" position on the shift-lever allows strong engine-braking action for descending steep hills.

The chassis/suspension, like on the Prius v wagon and current third-generation regular Prius, is a step-up in handling from the second-generation Prius, which rode very smoothly but had classic Roly-Poly handling. Steering-feel from the all-electric power-steering is a little on the numb side (like maybe half-a-shot of novocaine at the dentist's office, still retaining some feel), and steering-response was a little slow but steady. There was a small amount of body-roll (this, of course, is not a sports-car), but it wasn't bad, and overall handling, IMO, is better than on the last-generation Prius models. The tires, of course, are designed more for gas-economy and low-rolling-resistance than they are for handling and braking-response. Wind-noise is well snubbed (despite the thin/cheap inner-door-panels), and some road noise comes through on certain road-surfaces, but, overall, for the price and size-class, it is reasonably quiet.

The regenerative-braking system (common to almost all hybrids), IMO, is one of the best I've seen yet. The brake-pedal doesn't have the grabby jump-stop feel, common to some other hybrids, like you've just tossed a cruise-ship anchor off of a rowboat. Response was smooth, firm, and generally linear. I didn't have any big or noticeable problems, either, with my big size-15 circus-clown shoe hanging up on the edge of the brake pedal when lifting off the
gas.

THE VERDICT:

I still have to give the competing Honda Insight credit for its low price, excellent build-quality and the Swiss-Watch precision of its overall assembly. But, it has been plagued, in the American market at least, by very slow sales from its overly-tight rear seat, bumpy ride, and jerky, unrefined hybrid-powertrain. Its gas-mileage, though excellent, has also not been up quite in the same league as most Prius models. Desite its high build-quality and excellent reliability, the public just has not caught on to the Insight....low road-test ratings from Consumer Reports ratings have also not helped it. The regular Toyota Prius models, even with somewhat higher prices (and, of course, the glamour that the Prius continually gets from the media and celebrities), has simply blown the Insight off the map in sales. Now comes the Prius c, which, not only, in the lower-trim versions, competes with the Insight in price, but offers a more-refined hybrid drive-train and a slightly roomier interior as well. The Prius c also improves on some of the annoying design and ergonomic problems from earlier Prius models. The Prius c, of course, is brand-new, and, although it is too early to gauge long-term sales, I think that this may be the car that pushes the Insight out of the American-market once and for all. On the other hand, the Insight may (?) get a strongly-needed sales-boost from sky-high (and still rising) gas-prices....especially if Toyota dealers get greedy and start to price gouge, or if Prius models are too difficult to get from supply-and-demand. But I still doubt that it will ever sell in Prius-numbers.

And, as always, Happy Car-Shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-16-12 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-16-12, 03:15 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Very nice review MM. Just what I was looking for. Thanks.
Old 03-16-12, 03:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RX469
Very nice review MM. Just what I was looking for.
Thanks. Glad it helped.

I enjoyed sitting in and driving it somewhat more than I have with earlier Prius versions.
Old 03-16-12, 03:29 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks MM. It looks like a nice Prius on a space & cost budget.
Old 03-16-12, 03:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Thanks MM.
Sure. Anytime.

It looks like a nice Prius on a space & cost budget.
Except for a noted lack of chrome/wood-tone/metallic trim inside and out, some paper-thin plastic inner-door-panels/wheel-covers, and a rather flimsy glovebox door/latch, I really don't see a whole lot of cost-cutting on the Prius c for the price.....you generally get what you pay for. True, it lacks an advanced lithium-ion propulsion-battery, but lithium-ions can't be feasibly used at this car's selling-price. And, IMO, some of the interior materials, like the cargo-cover panel, are more solid and durable-feeling than on some more expensive Prius models.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-16-12 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-16-12, 03:59 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Now that Toyota has a compact hybrid, I wonder how it's going to affect other city-oriented compact "40 mpg"-ers like the Hyundai Elantra+Accent, Chevy Cruze, or the Ford Focus+Fiesta (which in general is not getting the claimed EPA estimates according to most owners/bloggers).

For most of the consumers of such products, horsepower is not a concern; but rather cost efficiency, gas efficiency, and maintenance. Also, hybrids in general have a significant discount in insurance premiums compared to non-hybrid cars.

Your review claims that it will kill the Honda Insight. Is it possible that the Prius c will also take sales from regular non-hybrid compacts at this price point?
Old 03-16-12, 04:50 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, pretty impressive little car, I should get it for my commute!
How is the AC, is it strong?

Thanks again for your excellent review, Mike!
Old 03-16-12, 05:04 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Great review. I checked this vehicle out recently, and the overall passenger space and rear hatch just made a lot more sense to me for a vehicle of this type.
Old 03-16-12, 05:08 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Now that Toyota has a compact hybrid, I wonder how it's going to affect other city-oriented compact "40 mpg"-ers like the Hyundai Elantra+Accent, Chevy Cruze, or the Ford Focus+Fiesta (which in general is not getting the claimed EPA estimates according to most owners/bloggers).

For most of the consumers of such products, horsepower is not a concern; but rather cost efficiency, gas efficiency, and maintenance. Also, hybrids in general have a significant discount in insurance premiums compared to non-hybrid cars.

Your review claims that it will kill the Honda Insight. Is it possible that the Prius c will also take sales from regular non-hybrid compacts at this price point?
due to the price, it will probably compete more with Corolla and its like.

i think they are planning 40k a year in sales, and that might go up due to the gas prices, BUT demand worldwide is such that Toyota wont be able to ship more than 5k-6k/month for at least next 6-8 months.
Old 03-16-12, 07:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Also, hybrids in general have a significant discount in insurance premiums compared to non-hybrid cars.
An interesting question is why? Repair costs sure wouldn't be the reason......hybrids often cost more to repair after an accident than conventional vehicles, which, everything else equal, would normally increase premiums. But, of course, they often have careful, non-aggressive drivers, and are probably less-likely to be involved in an accident to start with. Hybrids often have HOV-priviledges in rush-hour, so their drivers usually have smoother-sailing and less stress each day dealing with gridlock and traffic-jams, leading to less road-rage.

Your review claims that it will kill the Honda Insight.
Almost...not quite. It's a definite likelihood, but not necessarily a done-deal. Two things that could (?) still bump-up Insight sales and keep it going are the high cost of gas (still rising, BTW), and, if the Prius c proves popular, Toyota shops get greedy and start marking them up over list. That will still leave the Insight as a somewhat less-expensive alternate.

Is it possible that the Prius c will also take sales from regular non-hybrid compacts at this price point?
Yes, but, as I just outlined, that will at least partly depend on how Toyota shops price the car, and if they gouge or not. The non-Hybrid Civic models will probably lose some sales, but that is also for some other reasons....mainly the Civic's cheap re-design and low-rating from Consumer Reports. The Hybrid Civic, of course, will likely remain a Prius and Prius-c competitor.....and, of course, even with the redesign, it is still somewhat more pleasant to drive than the smaller Insight.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-16-12 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-16-12, 07:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Wow, pretty impressive little car, I should get it for my commute!
How is the AC, is it strong?
It wasn't hot or humid enough today for it to be a real test, and it was cloudy, so the sun couldn't heat up the cabin much. I kept the A/C off, of course, while I was checking the acceleration. Nevertheless, I still got a little stuffy inside after about 10 or 15 minutes, and the A/C got me comfortable again in a reasonable amount of time. I understand there is an electrically-operated A/C compressor that can keeps the system going when the gas-engine shuts off at stoplights or otherwise not running.

Thanks again for your excellent review, Mike!
Sure...anytime. Glad you enjoyed it.
Old 03-16-12, 07:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pvmike1
Great review.
Thanks.

I checked this vehicle out recently, and the overall passenger space and rear hatch just made a lot more sense to me for a vehicle of this type.
If more rear-seat and hatch-space is what you need, check out the extended-length Prius v wagon. But, of course, it costs more, gets lower mileage, and, IMO, doesn't have the ergonomic and material-improvements inside that the new Prius c does.

Here's my recent Prius v review:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...s-v-wagon.html
Old 03-16-12, 11:00 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Thanks for the review. I enjoyed it. Usually I skip over certain parts of reviews but I read the entire thing, well done.

As for the Honda Insight, what killed the Insight is the Insight, it truly is a piece of crap. Did Honda really think they could get away with doing another half assed hybrid, slap the H logo on it and call it a day?
Old 03-17-12, 04:25 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great review! Finally saw the prius c a few days ago and I really like it. Plenty of legroom for passengers but not a whole lot of trunk space.
Old 03-17-12, 10:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

i just did the rough math - if i sold my 17mpg explorer and bought a mid-level prius c, it would not be until the 5th year that i'd have saved any money. in the mean time i'd be driving a tiny gutless compact vs. my explorer with v8 and tons of room.

i realize most are math challenged and thus see the appeal of this, but the left side of my brain can never make this work...

on the car itself, i think this is easily toyota's best looking (most normal) hybrid, and should do very well in europe where gas prices are at least 50% higher!

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2012 Toyota Prius c