Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 MX-5 Miata thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-15, 08:47 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, Agreed, but part of that weight saving this year seems to be with quite thin sheet metal that may (?) be prone to dings and dents. I hope that actual owner-experience with this car (as with the new all-aluminum F-150) proves me wrong, but my initial impression is that this is not a car that you would want to park under trees that drop acorns or other nuts.
You need to ease back a bit on the vehicle sheet metal thickness and door dings. The car manufacturers actually TEST and engineer the vehicles that they are building and thus selling. The sheet metal is fine on moden cars.

Parking under a tree and worrying about acorns is the least of anyone's worries. I would be much more worried about squirrels making a nest inside the engine compartment than I would acorns.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-22-15 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-22-15, 11:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You need to ease back a bit on the vehicle sheet metal thickness and door dings. The car manufacturers actually TEST and engineer the vehicles that they are building and thus selling. The sheet metal is fine on moden cars.

Parking under a tree and worrying about acorns is the least of anyone's worries. I would be much more worried about squirrels making a nest inside the engine compartment than I would acorns.
Thank you, but I will ease back if and when I see fit. We are all free to post our automotive opinions and experience here. And I post basically what my experience has been.

There are two large oak trees right outside my condo townhouse, and I constantly see what they do to vehicles parked under them.....yes, after factory "tests".

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-22-15 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-22-15, 11:27 AM
USB3IS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 08-22-15, 01:25 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Always was. That's one reason why it made Car and Driver's 10 Best List for a number of years.

Most of the difference, from what I saw in my static-review, seems to be around the headlights and taillights. The grille, size/dimensions, and general body shape remains pretty much the same.

That's pretty remarkable, considering that the BR-Z, being a closed coupe, has a significant advantage in body/chassis stiffness that the Miata may lack, even with additional chassis-bracing.

Are you going to try out a Fiat version with the MultiAir engine if you get a chance? It, of course, has not been released yet.

MMarshall, while size is similar, the sheet metal contouring is completely different. The outgoing model was very bubble and used a lot of rounded curves and stamping lines. This new one is much sharper, crisp lines.

Mazda has been able to utilize a soft suspension with good geometry and low weight to make it more controlled under certain circumstances than the FR-S/BRZ, which utilize a very firm suspension tune to try to achieve handling metrics. Just two different execution methods.

The Fiat version isn't close to coming to market, but we'll definitely be able to drive it/see it before it debuts.
Old 08-22-15, 01:50 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by USB3IS
Well isn't that a nice duo
Old 08-23-15, 12:41 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Thank you, but I will ease back if and when I see fit. We are all free to post our automotive opinions and experience here. And I post basically what my experience has been.

There are two large oak trees right outside my condo townhouse, and I constantly see what they do to vehicles parked under them.....yes, after factory "tests".
Agreed. A friend had a 1996ish Civic that was parked under an oak tree by the previous owner. Absolutely destroyed the hood on that poor car, looked like a golf ball. There was a reason those 90's Hondas were really light weight, sheet metal was paper thin.
Old 08-23-15, 03:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
MMarshall, while size is similar, the sheet metal contouring is completely different. The outgoing model was very bubble and used a lot of rounded curves and stamping lines. This new one is much sharper, crisp lines.
The basic shape is still somewhat aero, but I agree that it does have some sharper lines/angles.

(BTW, I just finished posting a detailed static-review of a new Grand Touring automatic model, but declined a test-drive offer...I'm going to wait till an unsold stick version is available, considering this car with an automatic to be a waste of time).

The Fiat version isn't close to coming to market, but we'll definitely be able to drive it/see it before it debuts.
Yeah....Fiat doesn't have anything on its website yet (they seem to be dragging their feet on posting specs and other info, just as they did with the recent 500X AWD). But the sources I've seen indicate that it will be essentially the same car, a Fiat/Alfa Muitiair engine with a little more power then the Mazda version, and built in the same Hiroshima, Japan plant as the Miata.
Old 08-24-15, 11:06 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<p>oh it's so tidy and beautiful...&nbsp;</p>
Old 11-10-15, 07:47 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

We all know the new Mazda MX-5 is a great little car - but which model should you choose? Steve Sutcliffe puts the 1.5-litre and 2.0-litre models head-to-head in our latest track battle.
Old 11-11-15, 03:33 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

FYI, Mazda only sells the 2.0 liter version in the United States. By Miata standards its pretty brisk, 0-60 in 6 seconds, under 15 second quarter mile et.
Old 11-30-15, 07:13 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

The MX-5 is possibly the world's favourite sports car. Revered for its purity and finesse since 1989, is the new one as good as its grandfather?
Old 12-02-15, 02:00 AM
OkiFD3S
Driver School Candidate

I recently purchased a second gen and I love it. It's damn cheap, reliable, responsive, and very forgiving with the oversteer. I've pushed it pretty hard in the twisties on 185 road tires and oem suspension. When it starts to oversteer it's more gradual and easy to control.
Old 12-04-15, 07:09 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Funny post. We have a live oak in our front yard and it has been dropping acorns for several weeks. We keep our cars in the garage, but I hear them hit my S5 like a bullet when I back out. No damage, but I could just imagine what they would do to something with thin sheet metal. I owned an '06 MX-5 and this new one is tempting, but we would have to keep it parked on the driveway. The live oak would destroy it.
Old 12-05-15, 11:54 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

^ Not to mention all the squirrels and chipmunks chewing up the wiring, fuel lines etc.
Old 12-14-15, 07:23 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Mazda deserves credit for not just giving us the best Miata ever, they have built one of the best cars on sale in 2016. Period.

Quick Reply: 2016 MX-5 Miata thread