Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 MX-5 Miata thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-14, 09:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
I've always loved the driving dynamics of the miata but I could never get past its looks, it always looked a little too soft or too rounded for my tastes. But Mazda's new design language has been stellar and I expect this one to be the one that ticks all the boxes for me.
The original intent of the Miata (and, so far, Mazda has pretty much kept it since its introduction in 1989) was not to be particularly aggressive-looking or overly-powerful sports car, but to be a simple, inexpensive, pure driving machine in the spirit of the original British open-top sports cars of the 1950s and 60s. An additional benefit, of course is that, unlike them, the Miata was reliable.
Old 04-04-14, 10:26 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks for the latest updates, Vh_Supra26.
Anytime, just trying to contribute a little to the forums
Old 04-04-14, 10:52 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

OMG would they just reveal it already!! Stoked if the next Miata looks anything like these renders!!

btw, it looks sort of like a mini F-Type . Hope they offer a Speed version this time around. It looks like it could use a 250hp engine in that hot light body
Old 04-04-14, 10:54 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Lets not forget about the official sketch.

Old 04-04-14, 10:58 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26

Right! And this makes me a believer from that 'Official' title. Personally I love the new design language at Mazda
Old 04-10-14, 01:38 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26

uhh.....basterds.....!!

I'd like to officially inform you that our MX-5 story was an April 1st hoax, with the design sketch made by Josh Byrnes
Old 04-10-14, 06:23 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If they make this, I am IN

Old 04-10-14, 06:24 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
OMG would they just reveal it already!! Stoked if the next Miata looks anything like these renders!!

btw, it looks sort of like a mini F-Type . Hope they offer a Speed version this time around. It looks like it could use a 250hp engine in that hot light body
OOOOMMMMMMGGGG

That is going to challenge a MB

Old 04-10-14, 07:43 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by chikoo
OOOOMMMMMMGGGG

That is going to challenge a MB
MBZ SLK What?!
Old 04-11-14, 10:26 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Next-Gen Mazda MX-5 To Sport Radical New Look: Report

This year marks the 25th year of Mazda's evergreen MX-5 sports car. It's been a huge success story for the Japanese automaker--over 900,000 units have been produced over the past 25 years, across three generations of car--a much longer shelf life than most vehicles in the industry.

The car's 26th year could be the advent of something very different though, at least in terms of styling. According to Drive, one insider who has seen the fourth-generation car says it's a radical departure from the current vehicle. The new car looks "nothing like any of its predecessors," according to the source, who adds that current internet renders of the next-gen car are "vastly wrong".

In styling terms, existing MX-5s are more evolutionary than they are revolutionary, taking several cues from that first 1989 MX-5 Miata. While recent facelifts have given the car a less rounded look, several details remain similar to those original models. That won't be the case with the new car, which is expected to feature a new take on Mazda's current 'Kodo' design language. The large grill found on the Mazda 3, 6 and CX-5 won't be making an appearance, and the new car has "less prominent wheel arches" than the outgoing model. At the same time, it still has a "noticeable flow" to define the wheels.

At the rear, the new MX-5 will tout a rear diffuser under the bumper. Prominent rollover hoops sit behind each seat while the dashboard now gets a leather-look finish, taking it a step upmarket from the current car, the source reveals. There'll be retro touches too--body-color panels apparently feature on the interior door skins--similar to the use of body-color surfaces inside the current breed of retro small cars. A folding fabric roof, rather than a metal folding roof, is said to be standard.

Engine choices are expected to include 1.5-liter and 2.0-liter gasoline units, using Mazda's Skyactiv technology. The latter could develop up to 180 horsepower and enable a 0-62 mph time of around 6.5 seconds. Mazda is still aiming for a light curb weight too--current estimates put the car at around 2,180 pounds.

A debut for the fourth-generation 'ND' model is expected late this year or early next. In the meantime, click here for spy shots of a test mule.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ew-look-report
Old 04-11-14, 10:48 AM
Hoovey689

Engine choices are expected to include 1.5-liter and 2.0-liter gasoline units, using Mazda's Skyactiv technology. The latter could develop up to 180 horsepower and enable a 0-62 mph time of around 6.5 seconds. Mazda is still aiming for a light curb weight too--current estimates put the car at around 2,180 pounds.
Hmm light weight like that mean engineering the hell out of it. Two questions come to mind. How much is this car going to be and how well is it going to hold up in crash test ratings? Well three really... when will you be available MX-5?!?!?!
Old 04-11-14, 08:12 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I would totally buy one again as a second car. I owned an '06 MX-5 soft top that was the most fun car I've ever driven. It is like a natural extension of your own body and takes the corners like nobody's business. The downside is that the noise and engine drone on the highway doesn't make it practical for anything other than short-trip, top-down motoring I don't know if the hard top has improved that, but I doubt it. It will be interesting to see what the next generation brings. From a pure "fun to drive" standpoint, it is a lot of car for the money.

The rendering in white looks typical Mazda in front but like a Porsche Boxster in back. Nice!
Old 04-12-14, 08:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,361 Likes on 1,548 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I would totally buy one again as a second car. I owned an '06 MX-5 soft top that was the most fun car I've ever driven. It is like a natural extension of your own body and takes the corners like nobody's business. The downside is that the noise and engine drone on the highway doesn't make it practical for anything other than short-trip, top-down motoring I don't know if the hard top has improved that, but I doubt it. It will be interesting to see what the next generation brings. From a pure "fun to drive" standpoint, it is a lot of car for the money.
^ this - same for me, except i had an '07.
Old 04-12-14, 08:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
The downside is that the noise and engine drone on the highway doesn't make it practical for anything other than short-trip, top-down motoring.
Definitely not. A Miata is NOT the car for coast-to-coast Interstate cruising. But it is a lot of fun on the proper type of curvy roads with little traffic.
Old 04-12-14, 09:06 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Definitely not. A Miata is NOT the car for coast-to-coast Interstate cruising. But it is a lot of fun on the proper type of curvy roads with little traffic.
It isn't even a car for driving to the airport, 28 miles away, in all highway driving.

Funny story, I traded my '06 MX-5 for an '06 SC430. (Hey, it was still a drop-top.) The SC was much more comfortable on the highway driving back from the dealership, but I kept thinking "this is like a Japanese Buick". I didn't keep that car very long either.

Quick Reply: 2016 MX-5 Miata thread