Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Lexus planning on competing with the Infiniti JX? (3 row car based SUV)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-12 | 07:07 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Default Is Lexus planning on competing with the Infiniti JX? (3 row car based SUV)

Just wondering... I like the concept of the JX much like I like the Buick Enclave. Seems to be a market that has been gaining momentum recently.

Personally I think the Lexus GX is losing momentum to designs like the JX. The GX is built like a true off roader despite the fact that 98% of its owners will never drive it on more than a gravel road, and it sacrifices ride comfort and interior room as a result of its rugged body on frame design.
Old 03-26-12 | 08:18 AM
LexFather

Its funny.

I remember Lexus being chastised and insulted for offering 3 SUVs early in the 2000s and people bashing Lexus for offering all these SUVs. Now here we are the competition offering more SUVs than Lexus and no one says a thing

Lexus while pioneering the luxury car based SUV seems to be stuck with the success of the RX and scared to make a 7 seat RX, the reasons internally for this gen RX was "the RX looked very ugly stretched to fit 7 seats", something that clearly doesn't care JX designers . The thing is most SUV sales are 5 seaters, the RX and SRX are the best sellers and both seat 5. The 7 seaters don't sell as well. The best selling 7 seaters are the Enclave, MDX and X5. The Enclave is the only one close to the RX/SRX in sales.

Lexus should however explore the option at this point and offer a 7 seat car based SUV. The GX/LX are incredible off roaders with the rugged image but they are pricey and most want car based SUVs.

At this point though with BMW offering X1, X3, X4,X5, X6, Infiniti offering EX, FX, JX, QX, Buick now offeirng a new cute ute, Benz offering more SUVs I don't think Lexus can remain still with the RX as the only car based SUV and offering a 5 seater only. Surely many happy Lexus owners would like a 7 seat car based SUV from Lexus. We have heard rumors of;
-cute ute under RX
-SUV based off the GS
-larger 7 seat RX

for sometime but nothing concrete.

I never will understand their marketing. The first thing you see in this ad is an Acura MDX.

Old 03-26-12 | 08:42 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus recently stated that due to advancements in technology and capability with unibody SUVs, the next gen GX and LX will be unibody.
Old 03-26-12 | 08:49 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its funny.

I never will understand their marketing. The first thing you see in this ad is an Acura MDX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBRjl...layer_embedded

That's easy. They're drawing a contrast against what will probably be the JX's main target... the MDX. Something I assumed as soon as I saw the JX concept. It's not original... basically the same strategy as those Audi A5 commercials which showed everyone robotically driving Lexus RXs.
Old 03-26-12 | 09:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lexus should however explore the option at this point and offer a 7 seat car based SUV. The GX/LX are incredible off roaders with the rugged image but they are pricey and most want car based SUVs.
I agree. IMO, the 4-Runner/truck-based GX doesn't really fit into the Lexus line-up very well.....leave the serious off-roading to the superb LX. The GX may be nicely-done inside and out, but its road-manners and refinement, IMO aren't quite up to typical Lexus standards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBRjl...layer_embedded
Actually, IMO, it's a pretty well-done commercial.....better then average for Infiniti. I hope the JX's doors, in real-life, shut with as solid a thunk as in the commercial, and the automatic-braking-system works as well to prevnt a backing-up T-Bone. I'm not usually a proponent of safety-Nanny electronic-systems, but it is sometimes hard to see to both sides when backing up, even with a built-in camera.

As far as the MDX is concerned, perhaps the marketers felt it was the JX's potential closest-rival. I'd say that, right now, they are probably right, although, from what I saw at the D.C. auto show last January, the JX is noticeably larger on the outside than the MDX. So is the Lincoln MKT, another potential JX-competitor.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-26-12 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-26-12 | 10:45 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Lexus recently stated that due to advancements in technology and capability with unibody SUVs, the next gen GX and LX will be unibody.
Interesting. I wonder if the unibody GX will continue to be designed and tuned with off roading as a priority or if they're going to tune it more for comfort.

I wonder which platform they'll use. The GS, or something entirely unique?
Old 03-26-12 | 11:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The next RX will likely get a 2 row option.
Old 03-26-12 | 12:09 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

I'm more interested in a true third row, not one that only fits two small children or midgets. The Acura MDX for example isn't an option for me, whereas the Buick Enclave and Infiniti JX are.
Old 03-26-12 | 12:15 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Like what I said in another tread, mabe Lexus should consider a Luxury version of the Sienna or Japanese Alphard. Basically a Lexus Van.
Old 03-26-12 | 12:34 PM
nikko2jzge
Driver

I'm a Nissan fan, but the JX is poop. It's like they got a focus group, took all the comments and created a lump on wheels based on random Nissan parts. Most midsized 3 row SUVs are not roomy, and usually all 7 seats are hardly used. I can't see Lexus loosing anything to it. Lexus should plan on competing with the G37 coupe if anything.
Old 03-26-12 | 12:42 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Like what I said in another tread, mabe Lexus should consider a Luxury version of the Sienna or Japanese Alphard. Basically a Lexus Van.
That would be interesting to see. I'm pretty turned off by the current Sienna though... by far the cheapest interior of all vans on the market today and a price that doesn't exactly reflect its cost cutting nature.
Old 03-26-12 | 03:17 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nikko2jzge
I'm a Nissan fan, but the JX is poop. It's like they got a focus group, took all the comments and created a lump on wheels based on random Nissan parts. Most midsized 3 row SUVs are not roomy, and usually all 7 seats are hardly used. I can't see Lexus loosing anything to it. Lexus should plan on competing with the G37 coupe if anything.
What about the design looks like a 'lump of random nissan parts'?

The 3.5 and CVT are shared with Nissan designs, sure, but you can say that's pretty much expected these days. Lexus, Acura and many more do the same thing.

The interior looks very Infiniti to me.

But I have to say I do doubt its quality is going to be that great. Infiniti's reliability and quality definitely isn't up to the same standards as Lexus and I doubt the JX is going to be an exception to that standard.
Old 03-26-12 | 04:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

if you read through the lines of Lexus interviews lately, there might come time with larger crossover... however, i am not so sure since target market is ONLY USA, and with gas being so expensive, you have to wonder how smart is it to invest in huge vehicle.
Old 03-26-12 | 08:56 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

As a Lexus who know has two kids I think it would be great to have a Lexus option that seats 5-7 that is not as pricey as the GX or LX. Even if the price was similar to the GX I would like the fact that the vehicle didnt look like an SUV and handle like one as well
Old 03-27-12 | 06:20 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

I would like to see (and buy if it looks nice) a Lexus 7-seater Crossover. Why can't we have a Lexus that is similar to the Highlander (RX's cousin)? Most core components in the Highlander are shared with the RX so that is what we might see in near future (shared parts = reduce cost = good business sense)

Quick Reply: Is Lexus planning on competing with the Infiniti JX? (3 row car based SUV)