Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura RLX

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-12, 09:58 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Desert storm 2012: 2014 Acura RLX Spied in Death Valley!

There are some pretty good details revealed in these shots. For one thing, we can see from the sidewall of the tires that this RLX is wearing 245/40R19s. Perhaps more important is the load rating - 98Ws. That corresponds to a max load rating of 1653lbs per tire. The current RL SH-AWD has 96Vs (1565lbs per corner) so that indicates that this is model is most likely a Sport-Hybrid AWD model and it is probably heftier than the outgoing model by 100-200lbs. At this point, we're guessing the listed curb weight will land in the 4200-4300lb range.

http://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1072117
Old 06-25-12, 09:59 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nvslm
When the first time I see the ILX on here, I was thinking .. wow what a boring and bland car exterior wise. But as I drove by an Acura dealership one day and was waiting at a red light an Acura was next to me. I was thinking wow not a bad looking Acura. It's actually looks good to me and it turn out to be the new ILX.

So I would reserve my judgment until I see the new RLX in person.
The ILX to me looks like a rip off of the IS.

Old 06-26-12, 01:09 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm loving the "BEAK"!!

Old 06-26-12, 10:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,419 Likes on 1,584 Posts

not sure why the ilx is being discussed. this thread is about the rlx.

looks pretty good to me, although the wheelbase looks a bit short (or the rear overhang in particular looks too long).
Old 06-27-12, 03:26 PM
LexFather

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-united-states

Possibility of it being built here. Legend/RL production has stopped in Japan. That would make all Acura's designed and built in America since they are going to drop the TSX which is made in Japan and the NSX will be built here.

Wow if that happens.

A “perfect storm” of market conditions may prompt Honda to move assembly of its upcoming flagship, the 2013 Acura RLX, from Japan to the United States.

First, the stigma that U.S.-built luxury cars can’t rival the build quality of Japanese or German models is no longer valid. BMW builds X3 and X6 models in Spartanburg, South Carolina for worldwide distribution, and Mercedes-Benz builds M Class, R Class and GL Class models in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

Even Acura’s flagship sports coupe, the upcoming NSX hybrid, will be designed and built on these shores. It makes sense, then, that Acura’s flagship sedan, rumored to benefit from the same type of hybrid all-wheel-drive layout (in range-topping models, anyway) will also be built in the United States.

Confirmation seems to come from The Japan Times (via Carscoop), which reports that Honda will halt production of two sedan models at its plant in Saitama Prefecture, Japan. On that list is the Honda Legend, sold here as the current Acura RL.

There are financial reasons to move production to the U.S. as well. A strong Japanese yen and a weak U.S. dollar mean that it’s expensive to build cars in Japan, requiring automakers to raise prices or accept lower margins. Domestic production would help to lower costs and preserve margins, putting more money in Honda’s coffers.

Honda desperately needs the RL’s replacement to be a hit, since it’s sold just 182 RL sedans through May of this year. That’s down from 766 units in the same period of

Old 06-27-12, 08:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

it's just too expensive to build cars in japan right now.
Old 06-27-12, 09:34 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the hood ornament/logo for this car going to be a man on a horse with a polo mallet/stick? Are they paying Ralph Lauren royalties for this one?
Old 06-28-12, 01:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's just too expensive to build cars in japan right now.
Honda sells more cars in America then elsewhere. Acura is an American company pretty much. Other brand are building in Japan.

We have two Buicks now

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
Is the hood ornament/logo for this car going to be a man on a horse with a polo mallet/stick? Are they paying Ralph Lauren royalties for this one?
It's another disaster for a flagship sadly. They still can't get simple names right

Old 06-28-12, 10:02 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How does this brand still exist? Or, maybe a better question is why does it still exist?
Old 08-06-12, 10:56 PM
dadoody
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
How does this brand still exist? Or, maybe a better question is why does it still exist?
It is a very good question that I haven't seen any answers to from Honda/Acura themselves.

Ever since Acura started releasing this current generation with the ugly plastic beak, sales have plummeted. They've been consistently ranked some of the ugliest cars around since 2008 by Forbes, and even previous Acura owners question why Acura continues to stick with this ugly ugly ugly design with pretty much no response from Acura/Honda.

And that's all fine and dandy. When a company doesn't listen to its customers, it doesn't stay in business too long:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...,1854973.photo

I've test driven these ugly cars as well: great performance and technology for their prices. I just won't own one because they are ugly as sin.

The sad part is that the Acura forums are filled with threads asking this same question: When will Acura start producing attractive cars again?
Old 08-07-12, 07:15 AM
nvslm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dadoody
It is a very good question that I haven't seen any answers to from Honda/Acura themselves.

Ever since Acura started releasing this current generation with the ugly plastic beak, sales have plummeted. They've been consistently ranked some of the ugliest cars around since 2008 by Forbes, and even previous Acura owners question why Acura continues to stick with this ugly ugly ugly design with pretty much no response from Acura/Honda.

And that's all fine and dandy. When a company doesn't listen to its customers, it doesn't stay in business too long:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...,1854973.photo

I've test driven these ugly cars as well: great performance and technology for their prices. I just won't own one because they are ugly as sin.

The sad part is that the Acura forums are filled with threads asking this same question: When will Acura start producing attractive cars again?

Many agreed that it's true that when Acura introduce the beak at the beginning that not many embrace it and call it's ugly as sin. But since then they have make the beak less pronounce and less offensive. While it's not rank up there with good look but it's not longer ugly as sin as before. It's become a normal car now. The ILX looks are very decent as well as the RDX and MDX. With the exception of the ZDX, all acura model look's decent to me.
Old 08-07-12, 07:21 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Acura sales YTD thru July were 42,843 +23% and for the month of July were 7,037 +52%.

They seem to be hanging in there.
Old 08-07-12, 01:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Acura sales YTD thru July were 42,843 +23% and for the month of July were 7,037 +52%.

They seem to be hanging in there.
those #'s are pretty distorted due to the tsunami. i wonder how '12 compares to '10
Old 08-07-12, 03:40 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Maybe I could live with the outside styling, kind of like ES two gens ago it was not pretty but you could live with it, but interior has me cringing. Interior is where you spend your time with the car and they blew it. I think all of us will be surprised by lack of modern technology in it, GS in comparison is a space ship when it comes to indoor tech. On top of that it looks ordinary, two touch screen gimmick can't fool me and they didn't even utilize maybe the coolest interior feature they have today like fading buttons in ZDX, that's neat actually.

The only thing this interior has it going is enormous back leg room. It's LS like.

Anyway I hope they keep LED headlights as it would be the most exciting design feature on the car. BTW Lexus should do something like that, instead with every new generation of headlights they make it more ordinary like with current GS, 600h had all three projectors on at the same time then RX had two and finally GS is down to one. What's the point of LED headlight if you are not going to get creative. Don't get too creative ala MB cause their LEDs look horrible but Audi does it right and so does RLX.

Here is interior vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...FHDWKfI0#t=58s

This piece of **** looks nothing like the 4th gen ES ...
Old 08-07-12, 05:03 PM
dadoody
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't like the new model GS at 1st but it has grown on me.

I really like the ES. Great car and comfort.

If I didn't plan to drive my Lexus GS430 into the ground, I would probably buy a new ES, but I'm going to resist. I'm thinking my next car will be a 1967 mustang fastback.

Quick Reply: Acura RLX