Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura RLX

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-12, 10:05 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LA Reveal:

Acura has finally pulled the wraps off of its flagship sedan in Los Angeles. The midsize sedan boasts large car room and is powered by a brand new 310 horsepower V6 engine with direct injection driving the front wheels with all wheel steering. Higher trim models will sport the new hybrid AWD system dubbed “Sport Hybrid SH-AWD” driven by a 370 horsepower hybrid power train that promises to deliver 30 mpg in the city, highway, and combined. Hit past the jump for full photos and a detailed press release.

Info and Photos at link.

Old 11-29-12, 12:04 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Clean design overall, with some odd details. I think the sagging character line behind the front wheels is the weakest link. And the oversized Chevy Cruz taillights look cheap and gimmicky. Rest of the package looks average to modern, and it's easy to top the lackluster previous RL.

I don't really see this car setting the world on fire, which is what Acura had a chance to do here again.
Old 11-29-12, 12:28 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually like it to be honest.

From what I like so far:
-Jewel Eye design LED headlamps is a nice touch
-Interior looks neat (seems to use a touch screen in the middle along with a bigger display on the top portion of the center console)
-Enhancements to the engine
-Weight reduction over the previous model

If anyone is upgrading or moving from the current vehicle (or in this case, the previous model), then I think it is worth. All positive gains so far (over the KB1/KB2 that is).

What REMAINS to be seen is with regards to the All-Wheel-Drive system for this new model. There's definitely going to be some discussions as to whether P-AWS is better than (or at the very least as good as) SH-AWD.

Nevertheless, I do like it.

Sure, IT MAY NOT BE THE BEST............BUT...........IT WILL DEFINITELY NOT BE THE WORST!!!

Peace out
Old 11-29-12, 12:41 AM
LexFather

^^^ uhh the weight reduction is just fluff. It's fwd not Awd so naturally it should be lighter.

Looking around... Acura fans are completely underwhelmed and no other luxury forum seems to care enough to start a thread. As predicted its going to fail yet again.

this is a competitor to the caddy xts more than anything and I can't figure out why to buy it over an Avalon or Azera or ES 350.

I guess we have to judge it for what it is, a 2nd tier car trying to keep the few RL customers they had cause no way many audi, BMW, Lexus, Benz Owner in the mid size class will consider this. We just bought a GS F sport and the Hyundai genesis is more considered than an Acura.

Yeah the super e Awd model is coming but no one is gonna pay for it even if it gets 30 mpg. Not looking like that.

Like the ILX it has no exhaust and the whole p-aws thing has to be a joke as a badge. Our GS is a PROPER RWD car with DRS (rear steer) and Lexus doesn't put some drs badge on the car.

Last edited by LexFather; 11-29-12 at 12:45 AM.

Old 11-29-12, 07:41 AM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they did a nice job with the interior.
Old 11-29-12, 07:52 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

doesnt look like an luxury 50k car.
Old 11-29-12, 08:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,418 Likes on 1,584 Posts

exterior isn't great (reminds me of an impala or something), but interior looks fabulous. of course in black the exterior looks better:

i LOVED the interior of my long gone '94 legend sedan with fabulous walnut trim and it seems acura is stepping it up again here... looks really good.

this sounded pretty cool too: "The RLX’s alloy wheels also feature a noise-reducing design that lowers tire noise by 7 decibels across the audible frequency range." and i'm glad there's no gas cap! there's a ton of other technology in it, a lot of which is designed to hide fwd characteristics. it remains to be seen whether they're effective, but i'm sure the rear steering and clever automatic braking helps a fair bit.

ultimately it's probably a very nice car that's a step up from an ES350 but no Hyundai Equus or Lexus LS.
Old 11-29-12, 08:48 AM
doublehh03
Pole Position

It looks nice in black. But in the other pictures, the exterior looks very generic, which isn't good for a supposed "flagship" sedan. From the front, it looks nice. Acura should promote the RLX from the front with its "jewel-eye" headlights, which is unique and nice. I think those headlights will trickle down to the entire Acura lineup, maybe with the TLX next. That will help ID the Acura lineup (like Acura's LEDs) and maybe they could do away with the horrendous beak and get a new front grill.

The interior is sweet for that class (50-60k). The technology is top-notch. The top trim will be very interesting with its 30/30/30. A lot of the automotive press are positive on these aspects.

But again, Acura's inability to knock it out of the park with styling for this type of flagship sedan was disappointing. Too conservative. Acura should follow Audi's styling prowess. They EASILY have the best styling in the luxury game right now. You ALWAYS turn your heads when an Audi rolls through lol.
Old 11-29-12, 08:49 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by TLe2006
they did a nice job with the interior.
I agree. I like the interior (for an acura).

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
exterior isn't great (reminds me of an impala or something), but interior looks fabulous. of course in black the exterior looks better:

this sounded pretty cool too: "The RLX’s alloy wheels also feature a noise-reducing design that lowers tire noise by 7 decibels across the audible frequency range." and i'm glad there's no gas cap! there's a ton of other technology in it, a lot of which is designed to hide fwd characteristics. it remains to be seen whether they're effective, but i'm sure the rear steering and clever automatic braking helps a fair bit.

ultimately it's probably a very nice car that's a step up from an ES350 but no Hyundai Equus or Lexus LS.
I hated the last RL (who didn't) b/c it was too pudgy.
At least this looks like it's stretched longer.

I'm sure you know the '13 LS460 has the noise-reducing tires also.

This new RLX is going to sell well like the last gen
Old 11-29-12, 09:00 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

The dual touch screens are tripping me out lol. I'll admit the resolution on the top one is miles better than Lexus
Old 11-29-12, 09:17 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by doublehh03
It looks nice in black. But in the other pictures, the exterior looks very generic, which isn't good for a supposed "flagship" sedan. From the front, it looks nice. Acura should promote the RLX from the front with its "jewel-eye" headlights, which is unique and nice. I think those headlights will trickle down to the entire Acura lineup, maybe with the TLX next. That will help ID the Acura lineup (like Acura's LEDs) and maybe they could do away with the horrendous beak and get a new front grill.

The interior is sweet for that class (50-60k). The technology is top-notch. The top trim will be very interesting with its 30/30/30. A lot of the automotive press are positive on these aspects.

But again, Acura's inability to knock it out of the park with styling for this type of flagship sedan was disappointing. Too conservative. Acura should follow Audi's styling prowess. They EASILY have the best styling in the luxury game right now. You ALWAYS turn your heads when an Audi rolls through lol.
I think it might have been best to wait for the awd hybrid instead of debuting the FWD model first. Mid-size market flagships don't work, ask Infiniti who's "flagship" is struggling.

Per Janoplik. The "best headlights thing" didn't do anything for the old Q45 either. Who focuses on headlights?
http://jalopnik.com/5964060/acuras-n...ing-headlights

The tech is not top notch, it has simply caught up to everything else and its still accord based and FWD. No tech in that. The hybrid offers impressive tech on paper so far and 5 people will buy it.

This article explains it all and their continued issues. Its been the same story for 2 decades now. Have we ever seen history repeat itself with a brand so much?

http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...,2131680.story

Acura seeks a solution to its identity crisis
The Honda brand, seen as upscale but not luxury, is pinning its hopes for a revival on its new flagship RLX sedan. It will make its debut at the L.A. Auto Show.

When Honda's Acura brand shows off its new flagship RLX sedan at the Los Angles Auto Show on Wednesday, it will be confronted with a marketing conundrum — how to brand the car as a luxury rival to BMW or Lexus rather than just a more expensive Honda.

It's a problem of Honda's own making. When it launched Acura back in 1986, Honda conceived an "intercept" brand.

"It was to be the next step for the Accord owner," said John Mendel, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co., "a place to move up without going to the European luxury models."

Photos: Highlights from the 2012 L.A. Auto Show

That proved successful for years. Acura sales peaked at nearly 210,000 in 2005, according to automotive website MotorIntelligence. But as luxury car competition grew more varied and fierce, Acura became what Mendel called a "tweener" brand: upscale but not quite luxury. Sales plummeted to barely 123,000 last year — about half the annual volume of each of the top luxury makes: BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Lexus.

"Acura is not defined, other than to be a step up from Honda," said Thilo Koslowski, an automotive analyst at research firm Gartner Inc. "It needs a place within the premium domain. They need to be unique and differentiated."

Honda officials need look no further than the L.A. Auto Show to see the stiffening competition in selling cars to the affluent. Volkswagen's Audi division is rolling out four new models with powerful and efficient diesel engines, an increasingly sought-after drivetrain. BMW is showing off two fast and slick concepts, an electric and a plug-in hybrid. Jaguar and Land Rover, newly owned by Indian automaker Tata Motors, are together bringing three new models: a sport convertible, a flagship sedan and the latest Range Rover.

In all, 42 auto brands are bringing hundreds of new models to the show this week, which opens to the media Wednesday and Thursday, and to the public Friday through Dec. 9. About 50 of those models, including the flagship Acura, are world or North American debuts. The show, expected to draw about 1 million people to the Los Angeles Convention Center, also is a showcase for the latest automotive technology and for aftermarket makers of custom cars and parts.

The stakes are high for all the automakers bringing fresh models to one of the world's leading car shows. But no car means more to any automaker than the RLX means to Acura.

The RLX will define a brand that needs an identity. Other luxury leaders have well-established personalities, Koslowski said. BMW is known for design, sportiness, driving dynamics and technology. Lexus has carved out comfort, customer service and reliability. Jaguar has captured style, status and sportiness.

"That doesn't leave much room for Acura," Koslowski said.

Mendel wants to position Acura as a "smart luxury" brand. Mendel defines that as efficient and useful technology, wrapped in an elegant package that doesn't scream excess. He believes that the last recession changed consumer appetites for luxury goods. They pay for quality but are less interested in "look-at-me" consumption.

This means that the luxury market, while still growing, will downshift in both size and price. Fewer buyers will opt for, say, the stretched S class Mercedes-Benz or the long 7 series BMW sedans. Most of the recent growth in luxury brands owes to crossovers and cars at the entry point of the luxury segment, said Larry Dominique, president of ALG Inc., an auto industry data and consulting company.

That plays to Acura's strategy as a value-oriented luxury brand, said Dominique, the former vice president of product planning for Nissan in North and South America. It has one of the top small SUVs in the segment, the RDX, and is expected to announce a redesign of the larger MDX next year. Its newly released ILX sedan hits that entry point for the luxury segment but has not earned high marks from the automotive press.

That further raises the importance of the RLX, a stately sedan with a gentle "S" curve across the side body panels, giving the car a sense of motion.

Powering the RLX, which will go on sale this spring as a 2014 model, is a new 310-horsepower direct-injected V-6 that's expected to get fuel economy ratings of 20 miles per gallon in the city, 31 on the highway and 24 combined. Honda has not provided specific pricing but did say the sticker prices will start at less than $50,000.

Later in 2013, Acura will offer an RLX all-wheel-drive hybrid producing 370 horsepower and achieving 30 mpg in all conditions.

Hoping to brand Acura as having "efficient technology," as Mendel put it, the RLX will offer safety features that protect passengers and prevent collisions. These include lane departure warning, forward collision warning and automatic braking, as well as adaptive cruise control that keeps the vehicle at a constant distance behind other cars and various blind-spot information systems, such as a rear-view camera.

Full coverage: 2012 L.A. Auto Show

"Acura has always lived off the crumbs of Honda," Mendel said. "Now it needs to be a real destination brand."

Volkswagen provides a model with its revamping of Audi into one of today's hottest luxury brands, Dominique said.

"By going to unique design, unique powertrains and unique tuning, VW has done a good job of getting separation between VW and Audi," Dominique said.

For now, the RLX will carry Acura's identity. That starts with a cleaned-up dashboard, replacing one much-criticized for offering too many buttons and complicated controls.

"It is a massive simplification and will be more intuitive to use," Mendel said.

Sometime in the next three years, Acura will also launch the next NSX, last produced in 2005. The new version will be an all-wheel-drive hybrid supercar with styling evocative of a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

"NSX will be the sizzle for the brand," Mendel said. "You will think that anybody who can do that can make a real cool passenger car."

Old 11-29-12, 09:27 AM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I think it might have been best to wait for the awd hybrid instead of debuting the FWD model first. Mid-size market flagships don't work, ask Infiniti who's "flagship" is struggling.

Per Janoplik. The "best headlights thing" didn't do anything for the old Q45 either. Who focuses on headlights?

The tech is not top notch, it has simply caught up to everything else and its still accord based and FWD. No tech in that. The hybrid offers impressive tech on paper so far and 5 people will buy it.

This article explains it all and their continued issues. Its been the same story for 2 decades now. Have we ever seen history repeat itself with a brand so much?

Acura seeks a solution to its identity crisis
The Honda brand, seen as upscale but not luxury, is pinning its hopes for a revival on its new flagship RLX sedan. It will make its debut at the L.A. Auto Show.
Ask Audi who focuses on headlights. That's the first THING you notice when an Audi rolls through. Their LED headlights have really given them an identity to the general public. My friends who don't even know the difference b/t a Mercedes/BMW knows what an Audi looks like. Whether good or not, Acura may need to use the jewel-eye headlights as their ID platform, rather than that ugly-*** beak.

Yes, Acura should have debut their highest trim, which has a lot of cutting-edge tech, disagree if you may.

Another weakpoint is offering this in FWD. So you're right on that. Common sense that Acura still lacks.

To me, Acura remains an SUV luxury brand. The MDX/RDX (excluding the ZDX) are some of the best of its class.

Their sedans need identity and work in order to get into the big boys' game. This RLX simply confirms its nowhere close to being a tier-1 luxury brand.

Funny that Honda finally is getting back to its roots (Accord) and yet Acura still hasn't. They need to really fire a lot of people at Acura.
Old 11-29-12, 09:54 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by doublehh03
Ask Audi who focuses on headlights. That's the first THING you notice when an Audi rolls through. Their LED headlights have really given them an identity to the general public. My friends who don't even know the difference b/t a Mercedes/BMW knows what an Audi looks like. Whether good or not, Acura may need to use the jewel-eye headlights as their ID platform, rather than that ugly-*** beak.

Yes, Acura should have debut their highest trim, which has a lot of cutting-edge tech, disagree if you may.

Another weakpoint is offering this in FWD. So you're right on that. Common sense that Acura still lacks.

To me, Acura remains an SUV luxury brand. The MDX/RDX (excluding the ZDX) are some of the best of its class.

Their sedans need identity and work in order to get into the big boys' game. This RLX simply confirms its nowhere close to being a tier-1 luxury brand.

Funny that Honda finally is getting back to its roots (Accord) and yet Acura still hasn't. They need to really fire a lot of people at Acura.
Good point about the headlights. Headlights, along with DRL's have become more of a styling statement than in the past. Everyone is strivng to be unique - Just like the prominent grills that are all over the place now.
Old 11-29-12, 10:59 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm.......I think there are actually 20 LED headlamp module units overall

Old 11-29-12, 12:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,418 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
At least this looks like it's stretched longer.
apparently overall length is similar, but interior room up a lot.

I'm sure you know the '13 LS460 has the noise-reducing tires also.
the article here said noise-reducing RIMS not tires.

This new RLX is going to sell well like the last gen
maybe so... we'll see!

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I think it might have been best to wait for the awd hybrid instead of debuting the FWD model first.
agreed. market should be hit with biggest gun. having said that, lexus also frequently debuts its mainstream models first and loaded hybrid versions later.

Who focuses on headlights?
um, we have thousands of threads about headlights on this forum alone. the headlights are the 'eyes' of a car, and people notice!

also, from the article you quoted:

When Honda's Acura brand shows off its new flagship RLX sedan at the Los Angles Auto Show on Wednesday, it will be confronted with a marketing conundrum — how to brand the car as a luxury rival to BMW or Lexus rather than just a more expensive Honda.
i think that's totally incorrect. acura does not compete with bmw and lexus. it competes more with buick, lincoln, in near luxury.

Most of the recent growth in luxury brands owes to crossovers and cars at the entry point of the luxury segment, ...

That plays to Acura's strategy as a value-oriented luxury brand, ... It has one of the top small SUVs in the segment, the RDX, and is expected to announce a redesign of the larger MDX next year.
yup. we all know acura's sedans are nothing special. but then nothing is in the near luxury segment. and their near luxury cuv/suvs, while nothing special, hit a sweet spot in the market, which is why the refreshed rdx is doing so well. it's nothing special to enthusiasts, but that doesn't mean it's a dud.

Quick Reply: Acura RLX