Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura RLX

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-12, 11:07 AM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by seanlee
no any other 370 house power or 4 wheel drive car/suv get 30/30/30. a technology improve fuel economy, driving dynamic, add more power while reduce cost/weight is worthy of compliment.

i know CL it is not the most object webpage to discuss non-lexus, toyota brand, but the amount of bias found in this thread is, well, quite disappointing.
They needed a home-run, not ho-hum.

With 76 posts you have no leg to stand on to make such a comment. This is quite an objective forum and you seem to be forgetting that the RLX is getting crapped on by everyone that is actually talking about it. B/C not many are, it has no buzz, no one really cares. The few that are talking about pretty much agree it looks terrible and/or bland, not a flagship and its still FWD with a V-6. Most sold, 80-90% will be FWD like the TL. Even less like the tech b/c it has "hybrid" in it and people simply still do not understand high performance hybrids nor want them.

Funny to see the same people/fans crap on the worlds first luxury sports sedan GS 450h back in 2006 now defend this. I'm all for high performance hybrids and on paper the tech is great and like the M35h this is a welcome addition to the party. If this thing is priced near 60k its dead, period. FYI the GS 450h nor M35h are NOT high volume cars, the M35h is STRUGGLING selling 30-80 cars a month. The GS 450h struggled as it got older and only is planned to sell 250-300 copies a month. Its not a big market at all.

No one really likes this thing and it takes 30 seconds to google any blog ,forum etc and see for yourself. Its not just here so don't act like its just here.

You then throw in a whole of about a car no one has driven yet with hardly any spes. How do you know how it drives, its weight etc?

Acura discovered what Lexus has sold since 2006. They added 2 electric motors to the wheels and finally have a new engine and wrapped it in a fake looking uglier GS. Don't except the world to be glowing with praise.

Old 04-06-12, 11:08 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Beuaty is in the eye of the beholder and design is subjective, but the RLX stirs little emotion in me. I think the fact that Acura is offering a 7-speed DSG is a great move. However the only reason I would ever consider an Acura up till now has been the mechanical SH-AWD. The ommision of it and replaced with an electric motor set-up in the rear kills it for me.

The interior while nice is still lacking somewhat. The navi has great resolution and the cluster of tiny buttons is greatly reduced. However the climate and audio controls are now controled through a second touchscreen LCD that seems kind of cheap to me. And the location of the start/stop is...

If Acura could find another design language that complemented their technology I would give them a second look. I want them to succeed and want to believe them when they say change is coming, but maybe its just wishful thinking. I keep wondering if Acura will be around long enough for the rebirth of the NSX.

Acura has been trying to find an identity in the last few years (same as every other automaker) but its taking them longer. I blame this on Acura's "stuck in the 90's" mentality while trying appease government mandates and current consumer demand.

This of course is all my opinion
Old 04-06-12, 11:55 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Other than the relatively bland styling I find a lot to like about the RLX. The class-leading 370hp output (class being the V6-powered midsize luxury sedan), the innovative electric SH-AWD, the 7-speed DSG (which is rumored be soon Fitted into the entire lineup down to the lowly Fit), the dual-clustered LED headlights (not sure if it'll be in the production car though), and the simplified center console with dual screens are all great features that will set it apart from its class. Just wish there were a bit more style to the exterior (and no, a bigger beak =/= more style) because at this price level it isn't just about technologies but also about stirring emotions, which is what the RL has yet to achieve.

Last edited by ydooby; 04-06-12 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-06-12, 12:04 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
And that pretty much says it all.

Acura has been battered and bruised from a public perception standpoint. They have a couple of models keeping them relevant but those products predate the current design crisis happening at Acura.

This car needed to be a statement.. .an exclamation point saying... "we're back and we know what we're doing again". I know the NSX is coming and that will create a stir but Acura needs momentum and while the NSX looks promising this RLX only indicates that they're still asleep at the wheel.
Old 04-06-12, 12:49 PM
seanlee
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

With 76 posts you have no leg to stand on to make such a comment. This is quite an objective forum and you seem to be forgetting that the RLX is getting crapped on by everyone that is actually talking about it. B/C not many are, it has no buzz, no one really cares. The few that are talking about pretty much agree it looks terrible and/or bland, not a flagship and its still FWD with a V-6. Most sold, 80-90% will be FWD like the TL. Even less like the tech b/c it has "hybrid" in it and people simply still do not understand high performance hybrids nor want them.

Funny to see the same people/fans crap on the worlds first luxury sports sedan GS 450h back in 2006 now defend this. I'm all for high performance hybrids and on paper the tech is great and like the M35h this is a welcome addition to the party. If this thing is priced near 60k its dead, period. FYI the GS 450h nor M35h are NOT high volume cars, the M35h is STRUGGLING selling 30-80 cars a month. The GS 450h struggled as it got older and only is planned to sell 250-300 copies a month. Its not a big market at all.

No one really likes this thing and it takes 30 seconds to google any blog ,forum etc and see for yourself. Its not just here so don't act like its just here.

You then throw in a whole of about a car no one has driven yet with hardly any spes. How do you know how it drives, its weight etc?

Acura discovered what Lexus has sold since 2006. They added 2 electric motors to the wheels and finally have a new engine and wrapped it in a fake looking uglier GS. Don't except the world to be glowing with praise.

yes i only have 76 post. but i have been a member 3 years ago and had been reading CL for almost a decade. to discredit someone's input solely based on number of post is the very definition of bias.

at any rate, i really like CL because it is more object than other forums, except when it comes to Acura (i don't know what the deal is, but Acura as a brand isn't well received here). the RLX is blend, but not ugly (personally i think blend and ugly are oxymoron). and i don't argue with the fact that more will be sold as FWD or Acura is not tire one, or their car doesn't look pretty, or their poor sales. what i am saying here is the technology here is amazing. plain and simple.

i don't know how it drives like, but no one knows at this stage. the assumption is based on SH-AWD found in the existing cars, as it is well received in driving dynamics. the weight is based on Acura's own estimation (below 4000 lbs), and so is the fuel economy.

so let's take a look:
AWD cars will normally provide better driving dynamic than FWD cars, especially with SH-AWD setup. this is pretty much a fact.

current 2012 RL weight 4083 lbs, and RLX, according to Acura, will "well under 4000 pounds". factor in the fact that the RLX is a hybrid (and battery has a lot of weight), we can safely say the RLX drive train is lighter than RL drive train.

also, the current gen RL used carbon fiber reinforced drive shaft to reduce weight. with the eSH-AWD technology, the drive shaft will most likely removed. and it doesn't require a center differential and rear differential (or so it seems). this will greatly reduce the complexity of the car and reduce maintenance cost. i see this technology will mature and evenly flow done to ILX class.

"2 electric motors to the wheels"
well, as a engineer, i have to disagree with your observation here. Lexus RX450H has the motor to the drive axle which prevent the use of active torque distribution (but it is a simpler and more efficient design). acura has electric motor for each rear wheel, Yet is able to produce similar/better results than RX45H. so my question to you is that if we all agree the RX450H technology is great, why can't we appreciate a technology better than RX450H?

read my post again, no where did i mention RL or RLX, i don't care and seriously it doesn't matter to me if RL/RLX doesn't take off. what does matter is the technology under the skin. and that is the technology that will flow to the rest of Honda/Acura products which will make a big impact.

Acura is not a tire 1 brand, and it is not the best, and that is okay. there is a lot of folks buying acura cars not because it is the best, or the most prestiged brand. Acura is the middle ground and i wholehearted disagree that they must have a "home-run, not ho-hum". IMHO, dumping all your resource (and honda is small company compared with Toyota/Nissan/Mitsubishi) on a flag ship that aren't gonna sale much is a terrible terrible mistake. for that reason, i disagree with them for the NSX project (as much as i like the NSX).

what they need is to spread this technology to less expensive cars and make the technology a 5k dollar option across the line. i will be very interested to see a 360 hp, 30/30/30 MDX or a 260 HP 40/40/40 ILX.
Old 04-06-12, 01:26 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

i don't know how it drives like, but no one knows at this stage. the assumption is based on SH-AWD found in the existing cars, as it is well received in driving dynamics. the weight is based on Acura's own estimation (below 4000 lbs), and so is the fuel economy.
Yeah I'm very impressed by the "well under 4000 pounds" part of the specs too. Remember the GS450h weighs 4,190lbs and it only has RWD! Wonder how Honda manages to achieve such weight savings in a full hybrid with AWD (I'm guessing the batteries are much smaller in the RLX).

Last edited by ydooby; 04-06-12 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-06-12, 01:32 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Wonder how Honda manages to achieve such weight savings in a full hybrid with AWD (I'm guessing the batteries are much smaller in the RLX).
They're notorious for using minimal sound deadening to cut weight.
Old 04-06-12, 01:32 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing I like about this car is the All LED headlights and the dual screens.
Old 04-06-12, 01:44 PM
Hoovey689

at any rate, i really like CL because it is more object than other forums, except when it comes to Acura (i don't know what the deal is, but Acura as a brand isn't well received here). the RLX is blend, but not ugly (personally i think blend and ugly are oxymoron). and i don't argue with the fact that more will be sold as FWD or Acura is not tire one, or their car doesn't look pretty, or their poor sales. what i am saying here is the technology here is amazing. plain and simple.

so let's take a look:
AWD cars will normally provide better driving dynamic than FWD cars, especially with SH-AWD setup. this is pretty much a fact.
why do Beamer boys hate on Lexus?

technology will not save them when design (although subjective) is almost universally frowned upon. Things are brutal at Honda/Acura..

but its not real SH-AWD its eSH-AWD
Old 04-06-12, 01:45 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
explains the road noise in Honda's lol
Old 04-06-12, 01:49 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The RLX seems to have an excellent interior, a top notch powertrain, and I expect the typical exemplary Honda/Acura build quality (uber tight panel gaps, solid construction) and engineering sophistication. Design is the only problem. Forget firing their designers, they should actually hire some, because it doesn't look like they have many in staff.
Old 04-06-12, 01:56 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 774 Likes on 542 Posts

A lot of folks bash on Acura here because we used to love the brand when it was producing hits like the Integra, Legend, and NSX. Now they provide us with this, another Accord derivative that looks like an Accord derivative with some cool tech but a car that is no world beater.
Old 04-06-12, 02:09 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Allen K
A lot of folks bash on Acura here because we used to love the brand when it was producing hits like the Integra, Legend, and NSX. Now they provide us with this, another Accord derivative that looks like an Accord derivative with some cool tech but a car that is no world beater.
I like this. Pretty much sums up how I feel. I just couldn't find the right words to make it short and sweet like this
Old 04-06-12, 03:01 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe I could live with the outside styling, kind of like ES two gens ago it was not pretty but you could live with it, but interior has me cringing. Interior is where you spend your time with the car and they blew it. I think all of us will be surprised by lack of modern technology in it, GS in comparison is a space ship when it comes to indoor tech. On top of that it looks ordinary, two touch screen gimmick can't fool me and they didn't even utilize maybe the coolest interior feature they have today like fading buttons in ZDX, that's neat actually.

The only thing this interior has it going is enormous back leg room. It's LS like.

Anyway I hope they keep LED headlights as it would be the most exciting design feature on the car. BTW Lexus should do something like that, instead with every new generation of headlights they make it more ordinary like with current GS, 600h had all three projectors on at the same time then RX had two and finally GS is down to one. What's the point of LED headlight if you are not going to get creative. Don't get too creative ala MB cause their LEDs look horrible but Audi does it right and so does RLX.

Here is interior vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...FHDWKfI0#t=58s
Old 04-06-12, 06:06 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Sound deadening material doesnt weight much. Strip out all the sound deadening material in a Lexus GS and youre not going to save any more than 100 lbs. The bulk of the material is on the floor.

Quick Reply: Acura RLX