Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

why doesn't TRD develop many performace parts for Camrys?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-12, 11:27 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default why doesn't TRD develop many performace parts for Camrys?

especially the new generation Camry. i'd love to see TRD comes up with a suspension upgrade and catback exhaust for the new Camry SE-V6. Honda at least has suspension upgrade for the Accord V6 couple in the name of HFP (Honda Factory Performance). TRD is concentrating too much on Toyota trucks imo.
Old 04-01-12, 11:32 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

imo, a modest factory backed suspension package and possible intake and catback exhaust on the new Camry SE-V6 is the best front driving sedans out there right now.
Old 04-01-12, 12:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

To answer the question, many Toyota Camry buyers will not be willing to spend money on TRD items. Most Camry buyers are looking for function/price and offering TRD just does not make any sense.
Old 04-01-12, 12:42 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a) your thread title is phrased like it would be informational, but is actually a question
b) the Camry is a FWD family car, it will never be sporty. Honda's attempt to glorify the Accord
is equally lame. Remember their commercial showing it powersliding thru the desert? lol
c) I hope Toyota does not develop & throw TRD parts at it....they need to focus more on making real sports cars again. Supra. MR-2. Celica All-Trac. Chaser.
Old 04-01-12, 01:29 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

TRD has parts(springs/exhaust etc) for the 2007-2011 Camry....I don't understand what your saying

the newest version Camry(2012+) I'm sure will have them too...give it some time(they just got released!)
Old 04-01-12, 03:36 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thread title fixed.....
Old 04-01-12, 04:03 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

You also have to look at the economy and see if this would be viable for TRD. At one time at the turn of the century, there was a whole host of TRD items for the Camry and the 1MZFE engine family, but the economy was much different then.
Old 04-01-12, 05:48 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

The JP site offerings:
http://www.trdparts.jp/english/list_car_index.html

TRD has been crippled for a LONG time. Showing my age, but in the 80's, there was a whole catalog of real go fast/racing parts for Celica, Starlet, Corolla, Supra... They had wide body fenders, suspension, differential gearing, pistons, roll cages, ignition, rally parts, you wanted performance they offered it. Pricey for the time too.

I don't call a radiator cap or shocks that significant. The superchargers for the trucks are nice. Stickers, clothing and other cosmetic parts to slap onto the car . The American market was not kind with go fast parts since EPA and CARB (CA) asserted changes in emissions.

Most now comes from aftermarket tuners who specialize. Whether those parts become circulated for the owners to easily get is another.
Old 04-02-12, 01:58 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
To answer the question, many Toyota Camry buyers will not be willing to spend money on TRD items. Most Camry buyers are looking for function/price and offering TRD just does not make any sense.
What you are saying might be true, but considering the huge quantity of Camrys on the road, TRD doesn't need a high percentage of Camry owners to make these products lucrative. The key, in my opinion, is to price them competitively, since most Camry owners probably would not shell out the kind of money to modify like the BMW 3-series owners do. Toyota sells around 300 thousands Camry a year, and each generation of Camry stays basically intact mechanical-wise for five years or so, so there are about 1.5 milllion Camrys being sold throughout the generation run, in the U.S. only, not even considering the other countries. Actually this should be a pretty good business. With the new Camry's good sporty look, I think more owners are willing to lower their cars or getting stiffer thicker anti-roll bars or simply replacing the shiftknob, if they could get the Toyota's warranty on those modifying items in the way similar to the F-Sport items of Lexus.
Old 04-02-12, 02:30 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
What you are saying might be true, but considering the huge quantity of Camrys on the road, TRD doesn't need a high percentage of Camry owners to make these products lucrative. The key, in my opinion, is to price them competitively, since most Camry owners probably would not shell out the kind of money to modify like the BMW 3-series owners do. Toyota sells around 300 thousands Camry a year, and each generation of Camry stays basically intact mechanical-wise for five years or so, so there are about 1.5 milllion Camrys being sold throughout the generation run, in the U.S. only, not even considering the other countries. Actually this should be a pretty good business. With the new Camry's good sporty look, I think more owners are willing to lower their cars or getting stiffer thicker anti-roll bars or simply replacing the shiftknob, if they could get the Toyota's warranty on those modifying items in the way similar to the F-Sport items of Lexus.
Most people will go for the bigger names in the aftermarket industry rather than go with TRD parts still, IMO. And it's not just because of the name, "OEM Aftermarket" really isn't as aggressive as most people want to be. A good example being the F-Sport springs, sure they lower your car, but not by that much. Most people still go for springs that lower the car more, or just go with coils. With "OEM aftermarket" your basically modding to look/feel like a higher up version of the same car. Example:. base ISx50 vs F-Sport ISx50. But most people that mod want their car to stand out and be different from OEM.

Not saying there's no market for it, just saying people will tend to favor aftermarket vs "OEM aftermarket"

Last edited by KillaIS250; 04-02-12 at 02:33 AM.
Old 04-02-12, 08:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
especially the new generation Camry. i'd love to see TRD comes up with a suspension upgrade and catback exhaust for the new Camry SE-V6.
The new 2012 Camry, by itself (even without TRD), handling-wise, already is a suspension-upgrade over the 2011 model, especially in SE trim. Unfortunately, as to be expected, some ride-comfort has also been sacrificed.
Old 04-02-12, 10:10 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing I thought worth it was the TRD exhaust, but even I had to modify it to my liking (removed resonator). A supercharger that was offered for the Scion tC's is a viable option for performance upgrade as the engines are similar but overall the springs are not even worth it at all. Coilovers are always worth the cost over springs imo. Heck, even the TRD wheels aren't even that great

My car is a mix of:
-modified TRD exhaust
-BC Racing coilovers
-Ultra Racing components
-VMR wheels

You'll see many on Toyota Nation not sporting TRD parts, especially those who are crazy enough to legitly mod their car. If TRD comes out with some real parts, then it would be an option but I don't see it happening
Old 04-02-12, 12:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The Camry is not a sporty platform, and although it is painfully common the owners of these cars aren't generally the tuner types. They are the oh my God I got 35 mpg YAY, types. lol. Im sure there are companies that make parts for it but they may be limited......at least your not looking for parts for an LS460. They are even fewer and further between
Old 04-02-12, 10:03 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hopefully with the new Scion FRS, there will be reason for TRD to bring some real options out. I do agree that TRD has concentrated a lot on Toyota trucks, but I'm not complaining (supercharger, bilsteins, Brembos, exhaust and intake for my FJ Cruiser )!