Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All-New 2014 Impala – Chevrolet Reinvents an Iconic Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-12, 08:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
So is a certain Flagship Luxury car. FWD is all the rage!
subtlety at its finest
Old 04-05-12, 09:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,418 Likes on 1,584 Posts

you are incorrigible.
Old 04-06-12, 04:01 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Acura RL? They are AWD.
Old 04-06-12, 08:30 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Acura RL? They are AWD.
New RLX will offer FWD base and AWD option (not true mechanical SH-AWD anymore )
Old 04-06-12, 08:35 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
New RLX will offer FWD base and AWD option (not true mechanical SH-AWD anymore )
If this is true, then the sad state of affairs over at Honda/Acura continue to worsen.
Old 04-06-12, 02:27 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

GM announced no AWD option today. I LOL. GM is the KING of saying one thing one day, and saying the exact opposite six months or a year later. Trust me, they will add AWD sometime down the road. Just like when they announced no more platform sharing between all their brands in the early 2000's (more LOL).
Old 04-06-12, 02:31 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
GM announced no AWD option today. I LOL. GM is the KING of saying one thing one day, and saying the exact opposite six months or a year later. Trust me, they will add AWD sometime down the road. Just like when they announced no more platform sharing between all their brands in the early 2000's (more LOL).
LOL I got a good chuckle out of that one.

Considering Azera, Avalon, Accord (sometimes considered full size - though its a tweener) are all FWD I can see it staying FWD. Now with the Implalas main competiton in cross town rival Taurus offereing AWD, I can see GM doing what they do best and offering AWD solely because they love to have a pissing match with Ford lol
Old 04-06-12, 02:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Just like when they announced no more platform sharing between all their brands in the early 2000's (more LOL).

Well, the newest GM models, in fact, are not as platform-clonish as earlier models were. Although there may still be some similiarities here and there, except for some remaining Chevy/GMC trucks and SUVs (which are basically twins), differences between GM models are more now notable than in the past.
Old 04-06-12, 03:39 PM
Hoovey689

Default No all-wheel drive option in sight for 2014 Chevrolet Impala

Here's a tiny article I found on the claim

While the 2014 Chevrolet Impala may have many charming qualities and boast a plethora of engine options, one feature it reportedly won't be offering is all-wheel drive. According to GMInsideNews.com, Chevrolet reps have said all-wheel drive is not part of the short-term or long-term plan for the new large sedan.

While the Impala will share a platform with the Cadillac XTS and Buick LaCrosse – both of which do offer AWD – apparently General Motors wants to keep the Impala front-drive-only to help differentiate it from the Buick and Cadillac. While it remains to be seen whether the lack of all-wheel drive will hurt the Impala's chances of competing with the Ford Taurus and Dodge Charger, which both offer it, Chevy's people have reportedly called all-wheel drive a "very slim piece of the full-size sedan market."
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/06/n...vrolet-impala/
Old 04-06-12, 06:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,418 Likes on 1,584 Posts

very very few people actually need awd. many many people in places with snowy winters want it though.
Old 04-06-12, 08:15 PM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a vast improvement over the recent impalas. I think Chevy may have gotten it right this time.
Old 04-07-12, 04:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
very very few people actually need awd. many many people in places with snowy winters want it though.
yep.. they will probably also want raised suspension that suv or outback offer too.
Old 04-07-12, 11:10 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AWD speaks to people like us on forums who are more enthusiasts, but the market is fairly small. Even most of the cute-utes I see in the NYC area are non-4WD models. Hopefully if they make an SS model, they will incorporate an AWD version. Besides, other than the Taurus, what other car in this segment offers an AWD option?
Old 04-07-12, 12:07 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by T0ked
AWD speaks to people like us on forums who are more enthusiasts, but the market is fairly small. Even most of the cute-utes I see in the NYC area are non-4WD models. Hopefully if they make an SS model, they will incorporate an AWD version. Besides, other than the Taurus, what other car in this segment offers an AWD option?
I can't think of any unless you move up market: Lacrosse, S80

Normal competitors seem to be: Accord, Azera, Avalon
Old 04-07-12, 07:24 PM
zmisst
Rookie

Full-speed-range adaptive cruise control – Using radar technology, this feature senses traffic in front of the Impala to adjust the vehicle speed, including stopping the vehicle in heavy traffic and accelerating again. It is the first application in a Chevrolet.
Collision mitigation braking – Another Chevy first: Radar technology detects a possible crash threat and alerts the driver. If the driver does not appear to react quickly enough or doesn’t react at all, this feature intervenes and applies the brakes in an effort to avoid the crash.
Does any Lexus have full stop radar cruise? No. but,audi, bmw, mercedes, infiniti etc. etc. does -- oh and now Chevy does!

Lexus: You must stop being afraid of radar cruise and get a decent full stop radar cruise on all of your cars that are better than Chevy Impala.

Quick Reply: All-New 2014 Impala – Chevrolet Reinvents an Iconic Sedan