Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All-New 2014 Impala – Chevrolet Reinvents an Iconic Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-12, 07:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by zmisst
Does any Lexus have full stop radar cruise? No. but,audi, bmw, mercedes, infiniti etc. etc. does -- oh and now Chevy does!

Lexus: You must stop being afraid of radar cruise and get a decent full stop radar cruise on all of your cars that are better than Chevy Impala.
Or, the driver could simply look at the road ahead, like he or she is taught to do from Day One in Basic-Driving-Class.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-07-12 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-07-12, 09:49 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Or, the driver could simply look at the road ahead, like he or she is taught to do from Day One in Basic-Driving-Class.
agreed.

I don't need fancy doodads like that to help me drive. frankly I'd rather save the extra money on an option like that and spend it on something like tires
Old 04-07-12, 10:26 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Radar cruise, self-park, blind spot indicator. All "innovations" that shouldn't be. If you are a half way decent driver, you shouldn't need them. Just learn to drive correctly.
Old 04-07-12, 11:06 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Does any Lexus have full stop radar cruise? No. but,audi, bmw, mercedes, infiniti etc. etc. does -- oh and now Chevy does!

Lexus: You must stop being afraid of radar cruise and get a decent full stop radar cruise on all of your cars that are better than Chevy Impala.
lexus had it first... but not in the usa due to possible litigation and who could blame them after all that has happened?
Old 04-08-12, 03:13 AM
zmisst
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
Radar cruise, self-park, blind spot indicator. All "innovations" that shouldn't be. If you are a half way decent driver, you shouldn't need them. Just learn to drive correctly.
people used to say the same about airbags and seat belts and third brake lights and power windows and keyless ignitions too. And your grandfathers didn't like the mechancial looms of the industrial revolution.

If you don't want to the options, then Luddites don't need to get them.

On the more relevant point:
Plenty of other car makers are bringing full stop radar cruise to the US. and now Chevy. Just like with the horrible navigation lock out Lexus technology is behind all the other car makers. and now behind Chevy.
Old 04-08-12, 03:49 AM
rcf8000
Pole Position

If you don't like adaptive cruise, don't buy it. Unless I don't have a choice, I won't take a car on a road trip if it doesn't have adaptive cruise. It's good to see that it's finally going to be available on lower priced cars such as the Avalon and the Impala. The same comments apply to blind spot monitoring, which is rapidly becoming a necessity for city driving as well. Yeah, I know, use your mirrors.
Old 04-08-12, 08:46 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

people used to say the same about airbags and seat belts and third brake lights and power windows and keyless ignitions too. And your grandfathers didn't like the mechancial looms of the industrial revolution.
Big difference between things you mentioned and the driving aids I brought up. Those are all safety and convenience advancements. The ones I brought up are things that seemingly replace skills that a driver should be doing on their own. People will start not even taking a glance to their side since the blind side signal didn't go off. Just promoting worse driving habits.
Old 04-08-12, 09:02 AM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont see the need for the AWD in the impala....the avalon isnt AWD and neither is the maxima, which are what the impala is up against...
I think the decision to stay FWD makes sense.

As for the driver aids, if you're a competent driver why do you need all those fancy gadgets? more stuff to break.
All i like to have are ABS, VSC and TRAC for bad weather....
Old 04-08-12, 11:09 AM
zmisst
Rookie

Originally Posted by 03 ES
I dont see the need for the AWD in the impala....the avalon isnt AWD and neither is the maxima, which are what the impala is up against...
I think the decision to stay FWD makes sense.

As for the driver aids, if you're a competent driver why do you need all those fancy gadgets? more stuff to break.
All i like to have are ABS, VSC and TRAC for bad weather....
If you are a competent driver why do you need VSC and ABS? just another thing to break. . and just replacing the skills that a driver should be doing on their own.

and back up cameras! can't people just look in the rear view mirror!. . In fact why do we even have rear view mirrors !!! just turn around !! all these things just replace the skills that a driver should be doing on their own.

Why do they even have an engine. everyone should just drive their horse and buggy. . .

In fact why even have a horse! this just replaces the walking that people should be doing on their own!
Old 04-08-12, 12:09 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

To me those features are considered not so much as safety gadgets, but more as luxury or convenience features. Definitely not a substitute for good driving. But those things are nice to have.
Old 04-08-12, 12:32 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Things like ABS, airbags, back up cameres, etc are completely different from nannies like adaptive cruise control. I don't want electronics to control my car and start braking if it "sees" and idiot on a bicycle. What if there's an 18 wheeler on my tail? I'd rather just drive over the bicyclist than be crashed by a truck.
Old 04-08-12, 01:44 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

If you are a competent driver why do you need VSC and ABS? just another thing to break. . and just replacing the skills that a driver should be doing on their own.

and back up cameras! can't people just look in the rear view mirror!. . In fact why do we even have rear view mirrors !!! just turn around !! all these things just replace the skills that a driver should be doing on their own.

Why do they even have an engine. everyone should just drive their horse and buggy. . .

In fact why even have a horse! this just replaces the walking that people should be doing on their own!
Missing the point again. Oh well.
Old 04-08-12, 05:52 PM
zmisst
Rookie

The point is that a stupid chevy impala matches what bmw, mercedes, audi and infiniti have been offering their drivers for a while now with full stop radar cruise, and lexus is still behind them all.
Old 04-08-12, 06:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The point is that a stupid chevy impala matches what bmw, mercedes, audi and infiniti have been offering their drivers for a while now with full stop radar cruise, and lexus is still behind them all.
So? All that proves is that some Chevy drivers may be just as lazy and negligent about their driving habits as those piloting some expensive foreign namplates.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-08-12 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-08-12, 06:19 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

what grade are we in?

Quick Reply: All-New 2014 Impala – Chevrolet Reinvents an Iconic Sedan