Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All-New 2014 Impala – Chevrolet Reinvents an Iconic Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-12, 08:11 PM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zmisst
The point is that a stupid chevy impala matches what bmw, mercedes, audi and infiniti have been offering their drivers for a while now with full stop radar cruise, and lexus is still behind them all.

angry much?
Old 04-08-12, 11:29 PM
VIPG35
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I acutally like that interior minus the crappy steering wheel.
Old 04-09-12, 06:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I don't need fancy doodads like that to help me drive. frankly I'd rather save the extra money on an option like that and spend it on something like tires
lol, the very definition of luxury cars are having 'fancy doodads' you don't 'need'.

Originally Posted by T0ked
Radar cruise, self-park, blind spot indicator. All "innovations" that shouldn't be. If you are a half way decent driver, you shouldn't need them. Just learn to drive correctly.
big 'if' - a lot of really sucky drivers out there. i can't wait for the day we have self-driving cars (come on google!). if people are going to tweet, do makeup, mess with the stereo, talk on the phone or even to passengers, etc., read e-mail, etc., they need all the help they can get. even people fully paying attention often drive really badly. most of this could be avoided if we had even a half way difficult driving test, and a re-test at some point (e.g., when starting social security if nothing else!). but no, forces against are too powerful, so driving tests are a joke, and most drivers suck. so bring on the safety innovations, although i don't like government mandating them.

people used to say the same about airbags and seat belts and third brake lights and power windows and keyless ignitions too. And your grandfathers didn't like the mechancial looms of the industrial revolution. If you don't want to the options, then Luddites don't need to get them.
yup!

Originally Posted by Och
I don't want electronics to control my car ...
far too late, unless you intend to get a used yugo or lada then.

almost all cars are filled to the gills with electronics, controlling steering, braking, engine, transmission, gas, acceleration, etc., etc.
Old 04-09-12, 07:22 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
almost all cars are filled to the gills with electronics, controlling steering, braking, engine, transmission, gas, acceleration, etc., etc.
Not the same. Most of these electronics are aimed on helping the driver regain control when the car is already out of control. Its almost equivalent to a driver having 4 gas pedals, 4 brake pedals and 8 legs that could operate all these pedals separately, and pulse them 100 times per second when needed.

A system that actually takes over the control of steering, acceleration and braking - virtually drives the car without the drivers involvement... sorry, do not want.
Old 04-09-12, 07:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Not the same. Most of these electronics are aimed on helping the driver regain control when the car is already out of control.
that's simply not true. most cars are getting electric steering which is electronically adjusted. you have no direct connection between steering wheel and wheel angle. most cars have no mechanical connection any longer between gas and brake pedals and auto transmission lever and the engine/brakes/transmission. it's all software.
Old 04-09-12, 08:03 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

that's simply not true. most cars are getting electric steering which is electronically adjusted. you have no direct connection between steering wheel and wheel angle. most cars have no mechanical connection any longer between gas and brake pedals and auto transmission lever and the engine/brakes/transmission. it's all software.
I think you're not seeing my point. Electronic steering and throttle are still directly controlled by user's input, its just software and electric motors are used instead of a direct cable. These systems have both positives and negatives - but this is completely different from a car doing steering, accelerating and braking on its own.
Old 04-09-12, 09:37 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

lol, the very definition of luxury cars are having 'fancy doodads' you don't 'need'.
I stand corrected lol!!!!

I am glad that I didn't get the dynamic radar cruise control on my IS though (as an option). I wouldn't have used it. Glad I can put that money towards mods hah!

On a separate note I don't use the navigation either, but I had to have it cause it looks aesthetically better in the IS with nav than without
Old 04-09-12, 10:29 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Despite the electrical assistance, there is still the hydraulic connection between the brake pedal and the brakes, and the mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the steering rack; with the engine off, your brakes still work and you can still steer the car. I would not want to drive a car that has true brake-by-wire and/or steer-by-wire where the connection between the actuator and the actuated is an electrical wire, so that, with engine off, I could no longer control the car.

I also do not like safety-devices that try to tell you what to do or do it for you. Included in my list are features such as blind-spot indication, lane indication and active stay-in-lane steering, and pre-collision braking. Anything that is similar to a driving instructor with a foot too near a secondary brake pedal is a no-no in by driving book.

I do not mind so-called passive safety devices, such as anti-lock brakes (ABS), electronic stability control (ESC) with traction control, brake assist (BA) and electronic brake-force distribution (EBD). On slippery roads, I simply could not react as quickly as these features can to save my soul (or I may overreact).

I have learned to use and appreciate cruise control but I could do without it. I remember when it first came out 20+ years ago, it was not safe to use because we were not used to it. We allowed it to lead us to a false sense of security so that we were no longer applying the full attention to driving that we should have. Now that I have learned to use it, I still pay attention to driving and my finger is never far from the cancel lever and my right foot never far from the accelerator or brake pedals.
Old 04-09-12, 01:57 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sulu
I have learned to use and appreciate cruise control but I could do without it. I remember when it first came out 20+ years ago, it was not safe to use because we were not used to it. We allowed it to lead us to a false sense of security so that we were no longer applying the full attention to driving that we should have.
Now that right there says it all. There are enough distractions on the road as it is, and if electronic nannies allow drivers to pay even less attention to driving and paying more attention to their gadgets - amount of accidents will soar.
Old 04-09-12, 03:07 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are a competent driver why do you need VSC and ABS? just another thing to break. . and just replacing the skills that a driver should be doing on their own.

and back up cameras! can't people just look in the rear view mirror!. . In fact why do we even have rear view mirrors !!! just turn around !! all these things just replace the skills that a driver should be doing on their own.

Why do they even have an engine. everyone should just drive their horse and buggy. . .

In fact why even have a horse! this just replaces the walking that people should be doing on their own!
ABS "replaces the skills" that a driver should have? If you can pump the brakes at the same rate that ABS can do it, then you must have a bionic leg.

And--even if that's the case, if you think that everyone else on the road is as good a driver as you are, you haven't looked around very much. These technologies don't make good drivers worse--they make bad drivers better.
Old 04-09-12, 03:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

The point is that a stupid chevy impala matches what bmw, mercedes, audi and infiniti have been offering their drivers for a while now with full stop radar cruise, and lexus is still behind them all.
didnt lexus actually have first production full speed adaptive cruise control on the market?
Old 04-09-12, 04:24 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I think that adaptive cruise control, automatic parking, etc are detrimental. When we become accustomed to driving a car with these features, how will we function if we have to drive a different car without them? Does anybody here want to have their car backed into by somebody who doesn't know how to parallel park because their other car usually does it for them?

But back to the orignal topic. I think the Impala looks very good, inside and out. It's the first time for a long while that I've looked at a new offering from GM and thought 'Damn, I want it'.
Old 04-09-12, 06:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
Despite the electrical assistance, there is still the hydraulic connection between the brake pedal and the brakes, and the mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the steering rack; with the engine off, your brakes still work and you can still steer the car. I would not want to drive a car that has true brake-by-wire and/or steer-by-wire where the connection between the actuator and the actuated is an electrical wire, so that, with engine off, I could no longer control the car.

with engine off, it's difficult to control modern cars with no power brakes or power steering. give it a try sometime.

I also do not like safety-devices that try to tell you what to do or do it for you. Included in my list are features such as blind-spot indication, lane indication and active stay-in-lane steering, and pre-collision braking. Anything that is similar to a driving instructor with a foot too near a secondary brake pedal is a no-no in by driving book.
respectfully, these are issues of a feeling of loss of control. i'm sure the same thing was and maybe still is said about automatic transmissions.

I have learned to use and appreciate cruise control but I could do without it. I remember when it first came out 20+ years ago, it was not safe to use because we were not used to it.
hilrarious. it's been around 50+ years and has been a godsend for people driving long distances on boring interstates. it LESSENS fatigue.

Now that I have learned to use it, I still pay attention to driving and my finger is never far from the cancel lever and my right foot never far from the accelerator or brake pedals.
again depends on the types of places you're driving. driving across nebraska with nothing but tumbleweeds and lizards for hundreds of miles, there's little need to keep a foot hovering over the brake pedal.

Originally Posted by Och
I think you're not seeing my point. Electronic steering and throttle are still directly controlled by user's input, its just software and electric motors are used instead of a direct cable. These systems have both positives and negatives - but this is completely different from a car doing steering, accelerating and braking on its own.
again it's a control issue. i understand not wanting to give up at least a feeling of control. i gave up though. just get me there already. if the car can do it all, great!

Originally Posted by Och
Now that right there says it all. There are enough distractions on the road as it is, and if electronic nannies allow drivers to pay even less attention to driving and paying more attention to their gadgets - amount of accidents will soar.
i think the exact opposite is true. adaptive cruise for example can LESSEN accidents, and without these 'electronic nannies' drivers tend to get fatigued more quickly which is definitely a source of accidents.

Originally Posted by tex2670
ABS "replaces the skills" that a driver should have? If you can pump the brakes at the same rate that ABS can do it, then you must have a bionic leg.

And--even if that's the case, if you think that everyone else on the road is as good a driver as you are, you haven't looked around very much. These technologies don't make good drivers worse--they make bad drivers better.
qft. excellent.
Old 04-09-12, 06:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I think that adaptive cruise control, automatic parking, etc are detrimental. When we become accustomed to driving a car with these features, how will we function if we have to drive a different car without them? Does anybody here want to have their car backed into by somebody who doesn't know how to parallel park because their other car usually does it for them?
the same can be said about automatic vs. manual transmissions. most drivers can't drive a stick.
Old 04-09-12, 09:19 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

the same can be said about automatic vs. manual transmissions. most drivers can't drive a stick.
how can they if sticks are a dying breed lol. most every teen nowadays will learn on an auto

Quick Reply: All-New 2014 Impala – Chevrolet Reinvents an Iconic Sedan