Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All-New 2014 Impala – Chevrolet Reinvents an Iconic Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-12, 09:41 PM
LexFather

Let me get this right. B/C Lexus Radar Cruise stops at 25 MPH and b/c of Nav Lockout they are behind the Chevy Impala.

Old 04-10-12, 09:59 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Now that right there says it all. There are enough distractions on the road as it is, and if electronic nannies allow drivers to pay even less attention to driving and paying more attention to their gadgets - amount of accidents will soar.
Is this really how it happens? People think that since they have a lane departure warning system, then it is ok to check their texts because the car will "save" them from trouble? So if we do away with all of the "safety" systems, people will focus more on driving? That's just totally unrealistic.
Old 04-13-12, 08:11 PM
zmisst
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Let me get this right. B/C Lexus Radar Cruise stops at 25 MPH and b/c of Nav Lockout they are behind the Chevy Impala.
and bmw and mercedes and audi and infinti . and i think even volkswagan

if you have a substantive point to make explaining why lexus doesn't use technology that other lesser car makers use, feel free to type text instead of posting silly clip art.
Old 04-14-12, 11:34 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by zmisst
and bmw and mercedes and audi and infinti . and i think even volkswagan

if you have a substantive point to make explaining why lexus doesn't use technology that other lesser car makers use, feel free to type text instead of posting silly clip art.
If your one ace card is Radar Cruise that can stop to 0 and it is the sole reason why the Impala is so incredible over other luxury cars then its very possible you don't know much about cars, which is entirely possible.

Looking at your past posts there are many of them some how caught up on radar cruise stopping to 0. Which is fine, it seems to be a buying point for you. However just b/c others don't offer it doesn't mean its the end of the automotive world as we know it. Its great its in the Impala. I've used it many times in a Lexus and stopping at 25MPH is fine for me and allows me to gain control of the car. If others rather the car be controlled to 0 MPH that is fine as well, it is what they prefer.

There is more technology in the door handle of the average Lexus than an Impala.

Old 04-14-12, 11:55 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Saw the new Impala at the NY Car Show.
Surprisingly nice in and out.
Old 04-14-12, 12:11 PM
zmisst
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If your one ace card is Radar Cruise that can stop to 0 and it is the sole reason why the Impala is so incredible over other luxury cars then its very possible you don't know much about cars, which is entirely possible.

There is more technology in the door handle of the average Lexus than an Impala.
I'm not sure who you are responding to. I don't think anyone in this thread stated anything remotely like "Impala is so incredible over other luxury car makers"

I said " lexus doesn't use technology that other lesser car makers use" Viz, the full stop radar cruise. I could understand when bmw and mercedes were the only ones to use it. But now everyone is doing it . . . not just Lexus competitors, but even the lowly Impala.

I agree with your statement that you like your radar cruise. Everyone who has it likes it. Everyone who thinks that they don't like radar cruise hasn't used it. Those who have the full stop versions in other cars REALLY REALLY like it.

Lexus should offer this tech in their cars and should be embarrassed that the Chevy Impala can offer this option while the Lexus LS cannot.
Old 04-14-12, 12:44 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by zmisst
I'm not sure who you are responding to. I don't think anyone in this thread stated anything remotely like "Impala is so incredible over other luxury car makers"

I said " lexus doesn't use technology that other lesser car makers use" Viz, the full stop radar cruise. I could understand when bmw and mercedes were the only ones to use it. But now everyone is doing it . . . not just Lexus competitors, but even the lowly Impala.

I agree with your statement that you like your radar cruise. Everyone who has it likes it. Everyone who thinks that they don't like radar cruise hasn't used it. Those who have the full stop versions in other cars REALLY REALLY like it.

Lexus should offer this tech in their cars and should be embarrassed that the Chevy Impala can offer this option while the Lexus LS cannot.
Some Chevy's also have each tire air pressure monitor readouts.
Old 04-14-12, 12:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I think that adaptive cruise control, automatic parking, etc are detrimental. When we become accustomed to driving a car with these features, how will we function if we have to drive a different car without them? Does anybody here want to have their car backed into by somebody who doesn't know how to parallel park because their other car usually does it for them?
QFT

But back to the orignal topic. I think the Impala looks very good, inside and out. It's the first time for a long while that I've looked at a new offering from GM and thought 'Damn, I want it'.
That's what I felt about the Buick Verano, though it will be hard to get me out of Subarus. Anyhow, the first Buick in decades with a solid, high-quality feel and assembly-precision inside and out. The last Malibu was also quite impressive.
Old 04-14-12, 01:17 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

For me the features being discussed (adaptive cruise and wheel specific TPMS) are nice to haves vs. need to haves. When buying ANY car there will be trade offs of one kind or another. If either of these were need to haves I'd look elsewhere. As long as they are nice to haves neither would be a deal breaker for me when shopping for a new car.

I agree, the Chevy lineup is looking pretty good right now. I'm sure the new Impala will be a big seller for them. It always has been.
Old 04-14-12, 01:17 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, I had radar cruise, tried it one time and never again. I trust my foot better.
In fact, I never really use cruise control at all since it makes me go to sleep, driving is fun.
Old 04-14-12, 03:02 PM
zmisst
Rookie

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Hmm, I had radar cruise, tried it one time and never again. I trust my foot better.
In fact, I never really use cruise control at all since it makes me go to sleep, driving is fun.
Sounds like you and Steve Wozniak probably shouldn't use radar cruise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=hc2_yLXy9O4

Last edited by zmisst; 04-14-12 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-16-12, 05:28 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Is Chevrolet testing an Impala SS?

Is Chevrolet testing an Impala SS?

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/chevr...photo-4966357/

Well... look who lives! Our spy photographers have managed to snag a few photos of what may very well be the next interpretation of the Chevrolet Impala SS. Long thought to be a casualty of the General Motors bailout, the biggest member Club SS was reportedly shelved a few years back. The Impala line hasn't offered an SS performance variant since 2009, and the more aggressive grille, front fascia and tweaked head- and taillight arrays on this prototype hint at something more sinister than any topped-out LTZ model could offer. Our spy shooter's supplier sources indicate GM is, in fact, still working on an Impala SS, and they suggest the sedan may bow with a new LF3 twin-turbo 3.0-liter V6 under the hood.

If true, that means the brawny Impala could scoot down the road with a heady 380 horsepower. As far as we know, no vehicle since the limited production 350-hp Ford Focus RS500 has tried to push anywhere near that many ponies to the front wheels, which begs the question: will the Impala offer all-wheel drive despite recent reports to the contrary?

Doing so would seem to position the Impala SS quite well against the freshly updated Taurus SHO. Either way, we're excited to give this big boy a go.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/16/i...-an-impala-ss/
Old 04-17-12, 03:24 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know its the SS we are hoping for, but with that blocked out front grill, looks like more of a hybrid test car than anything else.
Old 04-17-12, 04:46 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I test drove a Benz CL and the salesman was trying to explain all the tech. He sounded very high and mighty thinking it would impress me.

Well, I wasn't so impressed. I don't need seats that grip me when the car turns. I don't need lane warnings. I want to enjoy the simple pleasure of driving. I want to enjoy having control of the ship. Some features are very much desired but some take away from the pleasure I feel behind the wheel.
I have never even used the cruize control on any car I owned.
I've used it on rentals for long trips but my car doesn't get used on long trips.
The 1 hour trip to Palm Beach is fun and not enough for me to engage cruize control.
I'm content just popping in a casette or cd and enjoying the drive.

Reading you guys debate about tech...or lack there of is interesting but not everyone cares that Lexus may or may not keep up with the Joneses.

Last edited by Ice350; 04-17-12 at 04:50 AM.
Old 04-17-12, 11:38 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
ABS "replaces the skills" that a driver should have? If you can pump the brakes at the same rate that ABS can do it, then you must have a bionic leg.
that gave me a good visual and laugh

(google image is littered with the new Bionic Woman images -)

Quick Reply: All-New 2014 Impala – Chevrolet Reinvents an Iconic Sedan