Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kia aming for BOLD moves,,

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-12, 06:34 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Kia aming for BOLD moves,,

Don't know how credible this is, but thought I would share. Don't remember seeing this here on the forums. First Hyundai chased down pretty much,,EVERYONE (or is trying to anyways), and now they are trying to get KIA(yes you did read this right), KIA to do pretty much the same thing. Who didn't se this coming? LOL!! I predict ALOT of 7 series on the used car lot after this "slap in the face".

In a move that was to be expected after Kia revealed the new K9 in its home market of South Korea about a month ago, the automaker announced today that the North American version of its flagship sedan will welcome the public at next week's New York Auto Show.
We were right to suspect that Kia would change the name of the car for the United States and Canada, as 'K9' is more often than not associated with the word 'canine' in this part of the world.

Instead, we will come to know it as the new 9'Series after the company adopted the use of numeric names with an apostrophe between the number and the word 'Series' in a similar fashion to the European Cee'd.

And that's not the only change to the original K9. Under the guidance of chief designer Peter Schreyer, the company's U.S studio in California redesigned the car's front grille to address critics who felt that the K9's appearance was too close to similar offerings from BMW.

"The 9 Series is the latest continuation of Kia’s evolving design DNA, carrying a fresh family-look radiator grille that stands out from the competition, bold LED headlamps featuring an accent trim across their tops, with classic design echoes in its voluminous hood," said Thomas Von Hofsten, director of exterior design.

"Its overall proportions follow an instantly recognizable Kia template, with an elongated bonnet, long wheelbase and set-back passenger cell," the German designer added.

Kia said that the new Kia 9 will launch in the States in exactly a year's time with three available engines, all of which are sourced from the Hyundai Genesis sedan.

These include a 3.8-liter V6 for the 935i, a 4.6-liter V8 for the 945i and a 5.0-liter V8 for the sportier 950i, which will be the sportiest model in the range

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/04...-flagship.html

Last edited by trukn1; 04-05-12 at 06:42 AM.
Old 04-05-12, 07:09 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What a lack of creative designing.

This is cut-and-paste design at its worst.

This is shameful, considering Kia's recent cathartic styling such as the Soul and Optima.
Old 04-05-12, 07:55 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
What a lack of creative designing.

This is cut-and-paste design at its worst.

This is shameful, considering Kia's recent cathartic styling such as the Soul and Optima.
Agreed. 10 char.
Old 04-05-12, 08:00 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Are they serious???
Old 04-05-12, 08:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,471 Likes on 1,622 Posts

that is a chop to put a bmw kidney grill on the front, so chill guys.

let's try somewhere more credible like c&d
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-and-info-news
Old 04-05-12, 08:15 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that is a chop to put a bmw kidney grill on the front, so chill guys.

let's try somewhere more credible like c&d
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-and-info-news
Even without the BMW grille, it is still shameful. Just look at the model names that end with "i" and how this will be called the "9'Series"! I think BMW may have some grounds for a lawsuit.
Old 04-05-12, 08:27 AM
LexFather

Horrible. Optima looks 100 times better. They tried the same trick the Genesis/Equus/RLX uses, blending 15 different cars together to make one car but it did not work out here.

Past the styling, what is impressive is Kia has a RWD vehicle with a V-8 option and these "luxury" brands don't.

Old 04-05-12, 08:54 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

OP is an April fools joke. This K9 is very derivative of other models unlike the Optima.
Old 04-05-12, 09:00 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
OP is an April fools joke. This K9 is very derivative of other models unlike the Optima.
good cause...

These include a 3.8-liter V6 for the 935i, a 4.6-liter V8 for the 945i and a 5.0-liter V8 for the sportier 950i, which will be the sportiest model in the range
Old 04-05-12, 09:03 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, that explains it.
Old 04-05-12, 09:03 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

That's a bit of a relief.