Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Service: An Observation

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-12, 03:52 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Lexus Service: An Observation

My first Lexus was a '93 SC300 5-speed, bought new from the same dealer I purchased and serviced my GS400, LS400, LS430, RX350, ES350 and current LS460. My dealer is the only Lexus store in a 75 mile radius and that next closest dealer and mine have the same owner. In my experience, Lexus service, both locally and from Lexus Customer Relations have deteriorated since I bought my first car.

I need to say that from a sales perspective, I am more than satisfied with my dealer. They are accommodating with long test drives anytime I ask and their discounts are reasonable.

I had a question concerning a TSIB for my LS460 driver's seat. The TSIB was for the '07-'09 model years, but I was experiencing back and leg pain when driving for extended periods, exactly what the TSIB addressed. My question to Customer Relations was asking if the seats in the '10 model year were redesigned since the TSIB cut off at the '09 model. I also asked what process, if any, was available to me to solve my problem. I was told I would get a call back with the answers within a couple of days. Result: I got a call 2 weeks later and was told to contact my local service department and they would handle the problem. I asked if she had an answer to my 2 questions and she said she wasn't aware of any questions.

In the past, I have had a few occasions to deal with Customer Relations and I got much quicker response and they were anxious to get involved to solve my problem.

Now for the local service department. My impression is that quality service has been replaced by glitz. We now have to beg for loaner cars and make sure the fuel tank is topped up or they will charge $6.00/gal to do it for you. I used to be offered a loaner for as little as 5 minutes, if I asked, without the requirement to fill up the tank. Now we have free designer coffee, cookies, snacks, private booths with PCs, wide screen TVs and air conditioned service bays, but no one to check the quality of the service/repair. My LS460 has had some damage (nick on the rear bumper, something splashed on the hood and fender (that took me several hours to remove) , poor wheel repair job). Nothing major and they offered to fix the damage, but how can I trust the result wouldn't be worse than the initial damage. We now also have very comfortable leather chairs to sit and wait (and wait and wait) until our Service Adviser decides he/she is ready to give us an audience. I have talked to the Service Manager and he knows all the correct customer service "words" to use, but I just knew there was no integrity to his promises, just like the Service Advisers. They must take a course in "bull ****".

I don't know if you guys, who have had a long history with Lexus, feel the same as I do, or maybe it's just my dealer. I'm curious. I don't think those of you, who within the last 5 years bought your first Lexus, will have felt this downward slide in service as much. Again, maybe it's just my local dealer and maybe I just got a Corporate Customer Relations Rep that was having a bad 2 weeks.

I know, I know, J.D. Power disagrees with me. He should have asked me. Oh, and sorry for the rant.
Old 04-07-12, 05:10 PM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Personally, my experience is sort of the flip of yours. I've owned Lexi since my SC300 in '95, but purchased and serviced across some 5 dealers in 4 States. My observation is Sales has declined a lot and is the most variable. Even at the one dealership I refuse to go to again for Sales, their Service department is just great. With the exception of when I lived in Hawaii, I also have a little different situation than you -- multiple dealerships within 30-60 minutes of me, so there is some competition and options for customers that I would hope helps keep quality up. I've never had a problem getting a loaner... Always a Lexus except for once when I got a Kia of all things -- they ran out of loaners and had Hertz providing transportation loaners for them -- all that was at the time when the whole loaner/liability thing was being figured out by the dealers a few years ago. Even this last time I had service done, I was just going to wait, and the evening before, the SA called and asked if I would mind taking a loaner as he didn't want me to wait if they needed to take extra time fixing a recall item. I had a shiny RX450h with less than 1K waiting for me and my car was filled up with gas before it was returned, although I must admit that is the first time that has happened in years (don't know if that is because of this new dealership or because of the $4K warranty charge the dealership was able to recover from Lexus HQ. :-) )
Old 04-07-12, 05:18 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't really comment on being a long term Lexus owner and seeing how the dealership has changed over the years but as far as the service department today goes... i've never had to beg for a loaner car at all. The dealership I go to has even let me have a loaner car for oil changes. I dropped off the in the morning before work, took the loaner to work, and picked up my car again on the way home. That's excellent service if you ask me. Most places will laugh at you if you ask for a loaner over a simple oil change, even on a busy day. I think the main reason you notice is the difference between now and then. As far the gas on the loaners go.. considering the high gas prices today, i'd say its expected.

Today, there's a majority of people that like "plush" and convenience. That's why you see dealers with wide screen TV's, Computers, free Wifi, etc. It's unfortunate because altho its nice to enjoy those things - they are reflected in the pricing of the dealerships too...they gotta make up for the cost of these huge "plush" service areas somewhere. But it works, many people don't mind the high price of the dealership today. I'm surprised at how many people i've seen get high repair bills at the service dept. and not even flinch... they just sign it and go.

Luckily for me, my experience at all the SoCal Lexus dealerships has been great - Longo Lexus especially. I've gotten great customer service and no BS. Probably because they know i'll easily just walk out if that's what i'm gonna get from a dealership. They key is just forming a good relationship with the service dept... find a GOOD service adviser you actually like and build a relationship. It'll benefit you greatly when your car needs service at the dealer. I know it has definitely worked in my favor!
Old 04-07-12, 05:50 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I think it's a hit and miss scenario, as with most of today's brands. Some dealers and some SA's seem to be better than others. After four years of ownership, I've found it's worth driving a little further for that one location that takes care of my needs.
As far as all the dealership "feel at home" amenities, I could care less about them. Anyone can go to Costco and buy a crate of muffins for six bucks. Rather see the money poured into lower-priced service or labor charges.
Old 04-07-12, 06:36 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I feel that lexus service has deteriorated too, especially in the sales department. That award that the dealership gets for being the best holds little wait IMO.

Service wise, it really depends who you get. I like my SA very much and I am always offered a loaner. If they dont have one, they get me an enterprise vehicle down the street. there is a $10 charge on the loaner but I dont have to fill it up after. In the past, like 8 years ago, they used to be able to waive that fee.

now they use ipads to write up the service.
Old 04-07-12, 08:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I had a question concerning a TSIB for my LS460 driver's seat. The TSIB was for the '07-'09 model years, but I was experiencing back and leg pain when driving for extended periods, exactly what the TSIB addressed. My question to Customer Relations was asking if the seats in the '10 model year were redesigned since the TSIB cut off at the '09 model.
Have you been diagnosed, by a doctor or chiropractor, with sciatica or any kind of spinal/nerve problem? That can cause the symptoms you describe, independent of any seat-design, TSB or not.
Old 04-08-12, 05:27 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Have you been diagnosed, by a doctor or chiropractor, with sciatica or any kind of spinal/nerve problem? That can cause the symptoms you describe, independent of any seat-design, TSB or not.
Actually no, but I'm guessing that Lexus had a reason other than a customers' back problems when they issued a TSIB. Strangely, I also had the same problem with my LS430, but none of my other Lexus, Infiniti or BMWs.

Even if it was true that I had sciatica, I can't excuse Lexus Customer Relations from not following through with the original commitment that was made, that is checking to see if the '10 model year seat in the LS was changed from the previous years and what if anything could be done to solve my problem.
Old 04-08-12, 06:30 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After working for Lexus for 10+ years I've come to the realization that Lexus, themselves, have created their own monster. It all started back in 1999 when Lexus shocked the automotive world with the new LS400. However, they did something else to shock the world shortly after, that today, goes mostly unnoticed. For the first time in automotive history, Lexus gave out a loaner LS400 when customers brought in their current LS400 for a recall. This one incident is what put Lexus service on the map. It was unprecedented. Lexus didn't have to do it, but they did, and it was completely unexpected by the customer. Talk about going above and beyond expectations!

Over the years, I've seen Lexus "give away" (good will?) more stuff than can be imagined. How about warranty floor mats at 120,000 miles. How about warranty engines at 120,000 miles. And I'm not talking sludge engines, either.

The problem is it's difficult to keep going like this year after year. All businesses reevaluate their practices continuously to save money where they can and I think Lexus is no different. Overall, I believe Lexus still does it better than any other car company out there.
Old 04-08-12, 08:13 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Overall, I believe Lexus still does it better than any other car company out there.
Again, my opinion is based on my own observation. When Lexus introduced the LS400, they were the new kids on the block and realized they had to make a big splash to get the attention of the traditional German luxury car buyers. They gave loaners because no one else had done that before. They loaned an LS400 because that was initially the only car sold and because Toyota engineered the car with such great reliability, customers rarely had to see the service department for anything other than routine maintenance. Very smart move and it helped to make Lexus such an automobile powerhouse in North America.

Today, you are correct in saying that Lexus has changed the focus of their business model. I believe that true quality service, from the day a potential customer walks into a dealership for the first time, until the day that customer sells his/her Lexus has changed to giving the "PERCEPTION" of quality service by building elaborate facilities stocked with free comfort foods. Where there was a unified approach to providing real customer service in every department at the corporate and local levels in the past, today the quality of service is dependent on the agent or representative you are assigned to. I certainly agree that businesses must make money to stay in business, but to THRIVE, your customers need to feel special by consistently being treated with honesty and respect. Lexus understood that at one time. Today, I think they lost that focus.

Comments from others suggest to me that my opinion is not the norm on CL, so that tells me my local dealer is to blame for my opinion.
Old 04-08-12, 09:13 AM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with you....I contacted Lexus due to concerns about my crankshaft pulley due to a recall on the ES330's crank pulley and the ones on the 2004-2006 camry V6 which is the same pulley found on my car (under recall BOM there is a specific mark on recalled crank pulleys, which my car has. I'm a tech at a toyota dealer and i have done so many of these recalls) and my call was met with nothing but contempt. Even buying parts from Lexus is unpleasant. The staff at the 2 local dealers here (Len Stoler/Lexus of Towson) are rude and snobby. The only Lexus dealer i deal with is Lexus of Annapolis and they are excellent but a hike from where I live. Im glad the ES has so many parts that cross over into the toyota catalog so i can buy almost all my parts for close to half price from the toyota dealer where I work. Since I am a Technician I do all my own work on my car, and I think Lexus gives me contempt because i don't use their service departments, even though i only use oem parts on my car and i religiously do my maintenance (obviously)
Old 04-08-12, 10:50 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

back in 1989, they gave out LS400s as loaners because there was a warranty issue very quickly after the car was launched, and they needed to do that so that the germans wouldnt have a field day.
Old 04-08-12, 08:41 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealership I frequent (McGrath Of Westmont) has been great except for one man in the sales department who was a completely condescending *******. I had a car on the lot I wanted to purchase, but decided to wait and find another sales person because this guy was terrible. Went home that night, found a better deal at another dealership and brought it home.
Old 04-09-12, 08:17 AM
ATLSam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really do not like my Lexus dealership... the service is terrible. Maybe im spoiled by the BMW dealership, but at Lexus they charge for service (my BMW comes with EVERYTHING covered) and they just dont treat you as well.
Old 04-09-12, 08:45 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
The dealership I frequent (McGrath Of Westmont) has been great except for one man in the sales department who was a completely condescending *******. I had a car on the lot I wanted to purchase, but decided to wait and find another sales person because this guy was terrible. Went home that night, found a better deal at another dealership and brought it home.
I bought a car from Lexus of Orland Park and one from Naperville. The service depts of both have been very good with no issues either place. The sales depts were about what you'd expect, but nothing unpleasant.

OTOH I've been very fortunate (crossing fingers), neither car has required any recall or service bulletin work to date.
Old 04-09-12, 08:49 AM
dadoody
Pole Position

Depends on where you go.

Around Southern California,

Lexus of Tustin and Lexus of Newport Beach - snobby douchebag employees. Lying sacks of crap as well. I gave them 3 chances. They failed miserably all 3 times. I get a better experience from Jiffy Lube than I do here.

Longo Lexus - A little better than Newport, but I had a bad service experience where their techs marred up my leather seats with their keys on their hips. They fixed it, but still....how do you do that to someone's car...?

Westminster Lexus - Whooooa.....the last bastion of excellent service. They've never failed me. I've never walked out dissatisfied.

Quick Reply: Lexus Service: An Observation