Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I cant decide!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-12, 08:22 AM
ATLSam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I cant decide!

I am probably going to get rid of my X5 or Land Cruiser and get a new car. I really am having trouble deciding but here is my list:

- Porsche Panamera (I will be leasing this if I do get it. The car will cost around 90-100k)

- Maserati GranTurismo (a used 2010 model, for 98k. It has 13,000 miles but the thing im worried about is that if this car is good enough for everyday driving without me having to get it serviced every week).

- Porsche 911 Cabriolet (this will also be a new lease.)

any suggestions on another type of car? I want something sporty but it must be able to seat 4.
Old 04-09-12, 08:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

maserati, i have never owned it but people i know with it, say prepare to have a lot of shop visits.

911 cab for 4 people, gosh, the rear 2 is going to suffer big time....

panamera sounds like a very good deal.

cls63? though it's not going to be that sporty if you are into handling.

and i suppose m5 might be too "sedan"?
Old 04-09-12, 09:27 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

If your set on those three choices (albeit other members will through out other nameplates), I would choose the Maserati.
Old 04-09-12, 09:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLSam
Porsche Panamera (I will be leasing this if I do get it. The car will cost around 90-100k)

- Maserati GranTurismo (a used 2010 model, for 98k. It has 13,000 miles but the thing I'm worried about is that if this car is good enough for everyday driving without me having to get it serviced every week).

- Porsche 911 Cabriolet (this will also be a new lease.)

There probably aren't enough Maseratis on the road, in the American market, to get a good indication from a firm like J.D. Power or Consumer Reports to get a decent handle on their potential reliability. So, obviously, buying one would be somewhat of a gamble....and their relatively sparse dealer network means that you won't find one on every street corner, either. Their relative unpopularity in the American market could mean significant depreciation, too.

I agree with Henry (rominl).......a 911 would be unsuitable for four adults. And, don't forget, the convertible Cabriolet, like many convertibles, will have an especially-tight rear seat due to the top-lowering hardware.

The Panamera is an impressive car. I reviewed a non-turbo version some time ago, and it was a hoot to drive. But its relatively sparse dealer-network would give it some of the service and accessability problems that the Maserati has....and Porsche service/repairs, when not under warranty, can be some of the most expensive on the market.

any suggestions on another type of car? I want something sporty but it must be able to seat 4.
Have you checked out a BMW 550i? IMO, it's a blast to drive, has impeccable steering/road-manners, superb chassis-engineering, enough room in the back seat for adults, enough room in the trunk to carry some things, though its I-Drive system and electronic console-shifter can be annoying to use. It is not an inexpensive car by any means, but will generally cost much less than the cars you mentioned. If you decide you would rather have a coupe body-style instead of a sedan, you can check out a BMW 640i or 650i instead, though 6-series BMWs can run a healthy sum of cash........from the 80s to well over 100K. And the 6-series rear seat, of course, is not as roomy as that of the 5-series.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-09-12 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-09-12, 09:47 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Have you checked out a BMW 550i? IMO, it's a blast to drive, has impeccable steering/road-manners, superb chassis-engineering, enough room in the back seat for adults, enough room in the trunk to carry some things, though its I-Drive system and electronic console-shifter can be annoying to use. It is not an inexpensive car by any means, but will generally cost much less than the cars you mentioned. If you decide you would rather have a coupe body-style instead of a sedan, you can check out a BMW 640i or 650i instead, though 6-series BMWs can run a healthy sum of cash........from the 80s to well over 100K. And the 6-series rear seat, of course, is not as roomy as that of the 5-series.
good suggestion Mike
Old 04-09-12, 02:04 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get rid of the X5, keep the LC, and get a Porsche Panamera or M5.
Old 04-09-12, 07:53 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Panamera...just make sure its the S.
Old 04-13-12, 05:33 PM
ATLSam
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the suggestions!
I was thinking about a 5- or a 7- series but ive had a bad experience with that BMW dealership and thats why i'll be returning my X5.

I went to my local Ferrari-Maserati looking for that GranTurismo and they tried to get me to finance a Ferrari... talk about pushy.

Seems like you guys are right... the Panamera is the way to go.
Old 04-13-12, 05:47 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Finance a ferrari? Pay cash or GTFO

Seriously...who finances a ferarri? . The 5 year-payments would be like 2500 a month?
Old 04-13-12, 08:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Panamera all the way !!! Its the best of both worlds. I drove one a few weeks a go and it was INSANE !!!!!!!
Old 04-14-12, 12:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne

Seriously...who finances a ferarri? . The 5 year-payments would be like 2500 a month?
try 6 year loan. i won't go into details, but yes, such thing exists
Old 04-14-12, 10:54 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard they offer long term loan for Exotics here in Vegas, such as 15 years. I can't imagine to finance a car that long.
Old 04-14-12, 12:11 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

I've been in the back seat of a 911, and it does not belong in a choose-one list of 4-seaters. The rear seats are good for groceries and a kid in a very narrow age range. I want to say under 4'10".
Old 04-14-12, 09:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I heard they offer long term loan for Exotics here in Vegas, such as 15 years. I can't imagine to finance a car that long.
that's so stupid. by the time you finish paying off your exotic the car is worth only a fraction of the amount paid
Old 04-15-12, 06:51 PM
ATLSam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne

I seriously can't stop thinking about the Ferrari California. If (which probably wont happen) I get it I will be leasing it and I will be putting a down of about 40,000 and paying 2,000/month for 5 years. .. which I think is too long for a lease - and with a very small mileage allowance, 3500 a year.

Quick Reply: I cant decide!