Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motortrend sport sedans comparo: Lexus GS Dominates

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-12, 05:33 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
8AT wont do miracles... just like with RX F-Sport, it would increase MPG by 1 for highway and add a bit more power into the midrange due to another gear exploiting the engine better.
Actually the 8AT added 1mpg to both city and highway MPG to the RX350 F-Sport even though it comes with 19" wheels standard versus 18" wheels on the regular RX350 AWD.
Old 04-12-12, 06:37 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
indeed... we might see new motor, but it might bring a set of negatives, for instance turboed 3.0l V6 would introduce lag... performance wise, i dont think we will see better than this for base engine.

8AT wont do miracles... just like with RX F-Sport, it would increase MPG by 1 for highway and add a bit more power into the midrange due to another gear exploiting the engine better.
And wouldn't the 8AT add more weight also? Im sorta against adding 8sp just because its the trend these days. the 6AT is a very good trans. 7AT is pushing it and 8 is over the top imo. All this just to add what 1-2mpg more?
Old 04-12-12, 07:52 PM
kwr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
I think if Lexus was German, that fact alone (and no other changes) would propel it to be seen as among the makers of the finest cars in the world. Just imagine for a second that the stylized L represented a German brand.

Not so quick. There is something wrong with the styling of most Lexus vehicles. The GS could handle 20Xs better than the 5 series and I still wouldn't buy it. The front is too trendy (lacks class) and the rear is too plain. The 5 series will age better than the GS. Similar to how the 5 series of the late 90s/early 00s aged better than the 2nd gen GS.
Old 04-12-12, 08:15 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kwr
Not so quick. There is something wrong with the styling of most Lexus vehicles. The GS could handle 20Xs better than the 5 series and I still wouldn't buy it. The front is too trendy (lacks class) and the rear is too plain. The 5 series will age better than the GS. Similar to how the 5 series of the late 90s/early 00s aged better than the 2nd gen GS.
The problem with the 5 series design is that it is expressionless, and therefore stirs little emotion (of mine at least). I don't think there is anything wrong with the styling of Lexus vehicles, I actually think they make some of the nicest cars in their segments, GS being no exception.

FWIW I think the 3GS has aged better than the E60 5 series, and the current IS has aged better than the E90 3 series.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 04-12-12 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-12-12, 09:29 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I guess I'll be one of the first to say that Lexus does not NEED to bump power, especially not for the Base GS.

It is important to understand that Lexus had the right idea here. Keep the weight low and the power moderate so that everything is balanced, very much like the LFA that isn't high in horsepower but revs high and breaks records (Ring).

If the 4GS NEEDS to have more power like some of you say, where does it end? Does the 5GS need to EXCEED the 4GS in base power?

I know the new engine/drivetrain will be out but I doubt it will bump HP that much higher. I'd say 320 at the most but it will mainly be for high efficiency performance, look how well the 4GS already does? The only thing it lacked was MPG.
Old 04-12-12, 09:39 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I'm sure that such a win is quite unexpected by many.

Good job Lexus!
yeah i totally didnt expect it

so now that lexus has geared the 4GS towards more sport and feel, how much of the comfort that we all are used to is sacrificed?
Old 04-12-12, 10:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by G Star
I guess I'll be one of the first to say that Lexus does not NEED to bump power, especially not for the Base GS.

It is important to understand that Lexus had the right idea here. Keep the weight low and the power moderate so that everything is balanced, very much like the LFA that isn't high in horsepower but revs high and breaks records (Ring).

If the 4GS NEEDS to have more power like some of you say, where does it end? Does the 5GS need to EXCEED the 4GS in base power?

I know the new engine/drivetrain will be out but I doubt it will bump HP that much higher. I'd say 320 at the most but it will mainly be for high efficiency performance, look how well the 4GS already does? The only thing it lacked was MPG.
Whats funny is one of the reasons the 5 series has always sold well is their base model. The base GS has been a 300hp V-6 since 2007. BMW offered(s) the 525/528/530 with lower power and THEN the jump to the 535.

For the price of a base 300hp V-6 GS you get the new 4 cylinder turbo 5 series.

Lexus should debut a GS 300h if possible or GS 250 or something to be a base entry level model .

Old 04-12-12, 10:31 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob

so now that lexus has geared the 4GS towards more sport and feel, how much of the comfort that we all are used to is sacrificed?
I didn't expect it either, but not because I doubt Lexus could build a better driver's car than the competition, but because I didn't expect one of these magazines can allow themselves to admit that Lexus can win a comparison using their usual preferred criteria - the best handling and the best car to drive.

We have seen some other magazines suddenly changed their usual priority in judging these comparisons when they found out the Lexus model handles better, and gave the win to the competitor because it's "the better daily driver" , for example ......

So props to MT, at least these particular group of editor/tester

Last edited by Gojirra99; 04-12-12 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-12-12, 10:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I didn't expect it either, but not because I doubt Lexus could build a better driver's car than the competition, but because I didn't expect one of these magazines can allow themselves to admit that Lexus can win a comparison using their usual preferred criteria - the best handling and the best car to drive.

We have seen some other magazines suddenly changed their usual priority in judging these comparisons when they found out the Lexus model handles better, and gave the win to the competitor because it's "the better daily driver" , for example ......

So props to MT, at least these particular group of editor/tester
Amen brother!

Old 04-12-12, 11:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob

there is 4GS forum here and not much,if any. People coming from LS even, like the suspension.
Old 04-13-12, 12:51 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

To be honest as a current LS460 owner I would consider the 4GS in the future, especially when they inevitably boost the power and tweak it
Old 04-13-12, 12:56 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by kwr

On the contrary, the new 5 series is too staid and looks too much like the 7 series it borrowed its platform from. I still like a bit more aggressiveness and distinctiveness in my cars( ie the new GS).
Old 04-13-12, 02:18 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Actually the 8AT added 1mpg to both city and highway MPG to the RX350 F-Sport even though it comes with 19" wheels standard versus 18" wheels on the regular RX350 AWD.
are you considering 1 MPG to be big advance? :-)
Old 04-13-12, 12:59 PM
LexFather

It simply drives incredible, still drives smooth like a Lexus. I also think they learned a lot with the IS F considering how they completely revised the suspension and its tons better.

Old 04-13-12, 01:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It simply drives incredible, still drives smooth like a Lexus. I also think they learned a lot with the IS F considering how they completely revised the suspension and its tons better.
smooth like a lexus as in which one? the ride is not bad but in terms of smoothness it's nothing like any lexus i had before, except the isf. i am not saying this is a bad thing

Quick Reply: Motortrend sport sedans comparo: Lexus GS Dominates