Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Toyota RAV4: revealed at L.A. Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-12, 02:23 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Very true. Typical Euro and US models from the same parent that get different interiors, such as the Civic. Glad they kept it the same on this model Rav4
yes... but maybe thats why Euro version didnt get anything fancy then :-).

In any case, it seems like huge improvement for you guys... hopefully Limited doesnt cost arm and a leg.
Old 11-28-12, 02:27 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
yes... but maybe thats why Euro version didnt get anything fancy then :-).

In any case, it seems like huge improvement for you guys... hopefully Limited doesnt cost arm and a leg.
Probably still cheaper than an Escape Titanium AWD hah
Old 11-28-12, 04:13 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

From MT (http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._first_look/):

" Under the hood, Toyota is no longer offering the 268-hp, 3.5-liter V-6 that made the third-gen RAV4 so entertaining. Instead, the base 2.5-liter four-cylinder essentially carries over, producing 176 hp and 172 lb-ft of torque (3 fewer horses than the outgoing model). Thankfully, Toyota finally ditched the dated four-speed automatic in favor of a new six-speed gearbox equipped with Eco and Sport modes. The automaker says the front-drive 2013 RAV4 is expected to receive a 24/31 mpg city/highway rating from the EPA, improving on the 22/28 mpg rating for the outgoing model. All-wheel-drive RAV4s should achieve 22/29 mpg, a 1 and 2 mpg improvement, respectively, over the third-gen. No word if Toyota will mimic the Escape by offering additional powertrain options or will stick to a single engine choice like the CR-V. "

So only the AR 4 banger is available now (disappointing), but with a 6-speed auto (finally!). Not feeling that gaudy interior though....btw> the front DRL's are not LED's as first thought...strange....
Old 11-28-12, 04:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

honestly, while i am underwhelmed by European model's lack of pizza's (wanted more cool stuff...
i had to read that several times to realize you meant pizzazz not pizzas! i thought, does he want this to be a dominoes pizza delivery vehicle?

about this image:

what's with the giant SHELF on the passenger side? for kids to put their feet up?

apart from that, i really like it!
Old 11-28-12, 04:37 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

that shifter gate area and cup holder being slanted like that would really bother me
Old 11-28-12, 04:55 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
what's with the giant SHELF on the passenger side? for kids to put their feet up?
On the present RAV4, it housed a top glove compartment. For the new one, they made it a shelf...
Old 11-28-12, 05:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

With a little custom bracket I feel I could make that shelf area hold a tablet or small tv screen lol
Old 11-28-12, 05:56 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I was hoping for an upgrade in powertrain. The CRV already gets 23/31 using a dated 5spd auto without the new 'earth dream' engine.
Old 11-28-12, 06:34 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also - it needs to be said, props to CALTY for designing the interior... vast improvement over old one overall.
Yup. Leave the interiors to CALTY and Toyota will do just fine.
Old 11-28-12, 07:23 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It was probably a conscious decision on their part to not give the new Rav4 a too sophisticated interior and exterior and keep things more "pedestrian", so that there's room to put all the high-end features and "pizzazz" on the upcoming NX instead.

Also I'm guessing the NX will get the turbo 4 first, and then add it to the Rav4 later in a mid-cycle refresh. They did that with the Highlander Hybrid, IIRC. It first came out with a 3.3L in 2009 (carryover engine) then when the RXh was released a year later, it got a new more powerful and more efficient 3.5L. Then in 2011 with the facelifted HL Hybrid it finally got the new 3.5L. I'm thinking they'll follow the same pattern with the Rav4 and NX.
Old 11-28-12, 11:25 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yay! passenger side cupholder! (and NOT inside armrest!)

Interesting interior color combo:

Cargo capacity LIKE A BOSS!
Old 11-29-12, 12:55 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IceIridium
It was probably a conscious decision on their part to not give the new Rav4 a too sophisticated interior and exterior and keep things more "pedestrian", so that there's room to put all the high-end features and "pizzazz" on the upcoming NX instead.

Also I'm guessing the NX will get the turbo 4 first, and then add it to the Rav4 later in a mid-cycle refresh. They did that with the Highlander Hybrid, IIRC. It first came out with a 3.3L in 2009 (carryover engine) then when the RXh was released a year later, it got a new more powerful and more efficient 3.5L. Then in 2011 with the facelifted HL Hybrid it finally got the new 3.5L. I'm thinking they'll follow the same pattern with the Rav4 and NX.
Great point. This is clearly the strategy that works.

That two tone interior is nice.

Honestly I never had any issue with any of the last 2 generations of Rav-4s and clearly it's influence is now legendary in its class.

Old 11-29-12, 01:06 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the new Rav4. Reminds of a baby GX460.
Old 11-29-12, 02:40 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i had to read that several times to realize you meant pizzazz not pizzas! i thought, does he want this to be a dominoes pizza delivery vehicle?

about this image:

apart from that, i really like it!
rav4 was always good for utility - very, very, very low loading height for the trunk, all flat too, easy to fold rear bench from the trunk area.... it had that top glove box that was cool like in RX - you push it and it springs up/down... however it was pretty small and hence you couldnt really use it a lot...

with this big shelf, you can put a lot of stuff inside like document folder... it seems to have rubberized tray inside so thats also good.

I think it is huge improvement over US Rav4... huge... and same for cheaper version of Euro Spec... but the expensive versions of Euro spec always looked good.

What bugs me a bit is that they obviously saved some features for top spec NX... because in Auris/Corolla in Europe, you get cool stuff like panoramic roof, automatic parking, LED tails, just more bling... and Rav4 is at least 50% more expensive here. Top Rav4 Diesel Automatic costs $55k here right now :-).

So it is very different perception wise vehicle than in US - in US, it is nice, cheap SUV while in Europe it is premium midsized SUV.
Old 11-29-12, 07:19 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by doublehh03
The tail lights look identical to Acura's RDX.
+1, and its more than just the tails IMO...

Quick Reply: 2014 Toyota RAV4: revealed at L.A. Auto Show