Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Toyota RAV4: revealed at L.A. Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-12, 10:09 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are certain sections of the BMWs that aren't painted, but none of them stand out and scream cheap, ugly, and cost-cutting to me like these RAV4 bumpers do. You're just making excuses. A "LIMITED" model ought to at least have painted friggin bumpers. Guarantee you they'll be painted on the Limited model by the third model year, probably when a turbo-4 engine shows up also.

Here let me clarify my criticism.

The RAV4 bumpers are completely unpainted.
Certain sections of certain BMW bumpers are unpainted also.

Not the same thing. Also, none of the bumpers or sections of bumpers that are unpainted on BMWs stands out as looking cheap to me, and all of them flow well with the rest of the vehicle. The difference is that not only are the RAV4 bumpers unpainted, but they're also extremely cheap looking, stand out as cheap sticking out like a sore thumb, and don't flow or integrate well with the rest of the vehicle. Plenty of Toyota's competitors have done these much much better.

I had numerous recalls on my RAV4. Seemed like I was taking it in for one recall or TSB or another just about every week. So you can't disqualify the Fords for having a few recalls here. Toyota has HARDLY had a good track record here as of late, especially on the RAV4. Last issue I had read about just prior to selling my RAV4 was about power window switches on the driver's side shorting out and causing fires. Lovely!

Last edited by SteVTEC; 12-04-12 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-04-12, 10:34 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Again, that's your opinion on the bumpers, one with which I and others disagree on. I find the BMW bumpers ugly and ungainly, and I find the Rav4 unpainted bumpers to fit well with the rugged nature and styling of the vehicle, but that's just *my opinion*. Just agree to disagree and move on. It's pointless to argue.

Clearly, you had a bad experience with your Rav4, and it seems that has given you a negative slant towards the Rav4. The 2nd gen Rav4 was made during a low point in Toyota quality, so yes it's had its share of problems.

Make no mistake, the new 2013 Rav4 is not the same quality-wise. It for sure is going to be a better vehicle quality-wise. This is not the same Toyota than when the 2nd gen Rav4 came out. If you don't know why, plenty of research and reading you can do on that.
Old 12-04-12, 11:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
There are certain sections of the BMWs that aren't painted, but none of them stand out and scream cheap, ugly, and cost-cutting to me like these RAV4 bumpers do. You're just making excuses. A "LIMITED" model ought to at least have painted friggin bumpers. Guarantee you they'll be painted on the Limited model by the third model year, probably when a turbo-4 engine shows up also.

Here let me clarify my criticism.

The RAV4 bumpers are completely unpainted.
Certain sections of certain BMW bumpers are unpainted also.

Not the same thing. Also, none of the bumpers or sections of bumpers that are unpainted on BMWs stands out as looking cheap to me, and all of them flow well with the rest of the vehicle. The difference is that not only are the RAV4 bumpers unpainted, but they're also extremely cheap looking, stand out as cheap sticking out like a sore thumb, and don't flow or integrate well with the rest of the vehicle. Plenty of Toyota's competitors have done these much much better.

I had numerous recalls on my RAV4. Seemed like I was taking it in for one recall or TSB or another just about every week. So you can't disqualify the Fords for having a few recalls here. Toyota has HARDLY had a good track record here as of late, especially on the RAV4. Last issue I had read about just prior to selling my RAV4 was about power window switches on the driver's side shorting out and causing fires. Lovely!
I actually think it looks great without painted bumpers. Its nice to see Toyota changing it up.
Old 12-04-12, 11:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Again, that's your opinion on the bumpers, one with which I and others disagree on. I find the BMW bumpers ugly and ungainly, and I find the Rav4 unpainted bumpers to fit well with the rugged nature and styling of the vehicle, but that's just *my opinion*.
I agree with you.
Old 12-05-12, 12:36 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
I actually have a loaner X3 right now...

Looks fine. It's aesthetically pleasing. The upper and lower sections are painted, just the middle section where you're most likely to get bumper hits isn't, which is probably actually a good thing since getting paint matched bumper replacements can be costly. This doesn't stand out as cheap looking or out of place to me at all, but it does on the RAV4.

The X3 is quite nice. Not my favorite BMW loaner car (E90 335d takes the crown there), but it's better than some of the other ones.
i think you are viewing things here with some serious bias googles... that BMW looks a lot worse than Rav4 while being 2x more expensive. And the most important part of the bumper - lower bumper - is actually painted, with middle section not painted... it makes no sense at all other than for cost cutting.

as to the Rav4 vs Escape recalls, actually no - Escape recalls are a lot more serious, and we had 4 of them 2-3 months after the car was on the market... what will happen next?

Rav4 window switches caused issue only for people who greased them with something on their own.... and thats few issues reported on 7 million cars recalled.

Ford sold few thousand Escape turbo's and already had 14 fires reported in the engine due to bad seals leaking (being under designed).

I had 2 Rav4's, and you are pretty much the biggest critic of both old and new Rav4 on the internet.

It is not the problem to criticize things, but you are issuing moving targets... first you said that the biggest issue was V6 and that it is good for them to remove it, then missing of V6 became huge issue as well as unpainted bumpers that every other car has.

No more talk about refinement and interior, which you found lacking in previous Rav4?

You are simply not being realistic... as can be easily seen by looking at that X3 pic which you think looks fine with those unpainted bumpers while costing at least 50k.
Old 12-05-12, 01:11 AM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

WHERE'S THE HYBRID?????

In SPORT trim too please.
Old 12-05-12, 01:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
. it makes no sense at all other than for cost cutting.
How is it cost cutting? It looks rather nice.
Old 12-05-12, 03:55 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Again, that's your opinion on the bumpers, one with which I and others disagree on. I find the BMW bumpers ugly and ungainly, and I find the Rav4 unpainted bumpers to fit well with the rugged nature and styling of the vehicle, but that's just *my opinion*. Just agree to disagree and move on. It's pointless to argue.
The funny thing is that I wasn't even the one that noticed the ugly unpainted bumpers on all trim levels. Others on the rav4 forum noticed that and started whining, so it ain't just me buddy. Sorry.

Clearly, you had a bad experience with your Rav4, and it seems that has given you a negative slant towards the Rav4. The 2nd gen Rav4 was made during a low point in Toyota quality, so yes it's had its share of problems.
And that's my fault becauuse? I actually liked my RAV4, but it was just very rough around the edges in some respects. A brilliant car, yet silly and very poorly executed at the same time. The only "slant" I have is against the product manager people who decided to take the two things I'd really want in the new RAV4, an optional engine and third row seats, and taking them away telling me to go buy a Highlander. Again, no thanks. I'm encouraged that they actually fixed some of the things I had issues with, but frustrated that they've taken other things away.

Make no mistake, the new 2013 Rav4 is not the same quality-wise. It for sure is going to be a better vehicle quality-wise. This is not the same Toyota than when the 2nd gen Rav4 came out. If you don't know why, plenty of research and reading you can do on that.
3rd gen. The new one is the 4th gen.
Old 12-05-12, 04:11 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

i think you are viewing things here with some serious bias googles... that BMW looks a lot worse than Rav4 while being 2x more expensive. And the most important part of the bumper - lower bumper - is actually painted, with middle section not painted... it makes no sense at all other than for cost cutting.
If you live and park in a city a lot where bumpers commonly get tapped it might actually make a lot of sense. And the X3 bumpers don't scream ugly. I have one parked in my garage right now.

as to the Rav4 vs Escape recalls, actually no - Escape recalls are a lot more serious, and we had 4 of them 2-3 months after the car was on the market... what will happen next?

Rav4 window switches caused issue only for people who greased them with something on their own.... and thats few issues reported on 7 million cars recalled.

Ford sold few thousand Escape turbo's and already had 14 fires reported in the engine due to bad seals leaking (being under designed).
And how many RAV4 and other Toyota engines blew due to the VVT-i oil hose fiasco?

I had 2 Rav4's, and you are pretty much the biggest critic of both old and new Rav4 on the internet.
Then you're the biggest fanboy, proclaiming what is obviously and clearly a step BACK in a number of ways for the U.S. market to actually be a quantum leap forward. I'm hardly alone in my criticisms of the car, both old and new.

It is not the problem to criticize things, but you are issuing moving targets... first you said that the biggest issue was V6 and that it is good for them to remove it, then missing of V6 became huge issue
NEVER SAID IT, BRO. QUOTE WHERE I SAID THIS, OTHERWISE STOP REPEATING IT THANKS.
(hint: I NEVER said this but now you've repeated that I did twice, even after I told you that I never said this)

as well as unpainted bumpers that every other car has.
Covered plenty well above, the RAV's bumpers are the only ones that scream out cheap and ugly to me, and I'm not alone thinking they're cheap and ugly looking.

No more talk about refinement and interior, which you found lacking in previous Rav4?
Have YOU sat in one or seen one personally? I haven't, and neither have you. As I've said, I've seen plenty of nice looking pictures of interiors on the INTERNET only to realize how cheap something looks and feels when I check it out in person. Yes the new interior sure does look nice on the Internet in pictures, but this is not something I'd judge and come to a conclusion on prior to checking it out in person. How the heck do you judge this without seeing and feeling yourself? You can't!!

You are simply not being realistic...
Which has mostly to do with you having no idea what I've even said or not said.

Add in an optional engine, make 3rd row seats available, and paint the frigging bumpers and I would seriously consider another RAV4. And I'm hardly alone in those criticisms either.

Done.

Last edited by SteVTEC; 12-05-12 at 04:15 AM.
Old 12-05-12, 05:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,492 Likes on 1,637 Posts

ok enough with the personal back and forth and accusations. take it to pm if you want to continue.
Old 12-13-12, 01:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

In addition, the new one has:

--Better fuel economy. The 2013 RAV4 will be rated at 24 miles a gallon in city driving, 31 mpg on the highway and 26 overall. It's a 2 mpg improvement on the combined. The all-wheel-drive version is expected to come in at 22 mpg in the city, 29 on the highway and 25 mpg overall. Wind drag is cut by a new rear spoiler.

--Six-speed transmission. RAV4 keeps the same 176-horsepower 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine as the outgoing version, but adds an improved transmission. The powertrain is smooth,though not overly peppy. A "sport" mode button tightens the steering and holds the gears longer, but the notion of making a RAV4 seems to make as much sense as making a Ferrari practical. Toyota says the new RAV4 bolts from zero to 60 in 8.9 seconds, 1.3 seconds faster than the present version. The six-cylinder engine option has been banished. Still want it? Toyota says buy the larger Highlander SUV instead.

--Two more airbags. In an age when automakers always seem to find a way to pack another airbag in family vehicles, Toyota increases RAV4's from six to eight. The two new ones are a knee-level one for the driver and a seat-cushion bag for the front passengerCHK.

--New standard features. The rear-backup camera and a 6.1-inch display screen, previously options, are now standard. As for interesting options, there is now a rear cross-traffic alert system that beeps when it senses another vehicle while the RAV4 is backing in a parking lot.

--More space. The cargo area increases by about 2 cubic feet. The seats are thinner, which makes for more rear legroom, but the roofline tapers towards the rear, which could reduce rear-seat headroom. Overall, the vehicle is about an inch longer if the spare tire on the rear isn't taken into account.

--Quiet. Winding through the desert hills, the RAV4 remained quiet. Toyota says it gave it new aerodynamic outside mirrors to help reduce wind noise.

--Fancier interior. Some of the seat combinations are now two-toned and the interior is also gussied up, with a soft-touch panel with "French stitching" that runs across the dashboard. It's attractive, but it does make it hard to reach the sport and economy mode buttons underneath.

The new RAV4 will be priced at $23,300 for the base model, plus $845 in shipping charges. That's up from $22,650 for the cheapest RAV4 now.

Toyota thinks the more popular version will be the XLE, which has more standard equipment including a sunroof, at $24,290. The fanciest version is the Limited at $27,010, which has larger 18-inch wheels, push button start and Toyota's fancy infotainment system, Entune. Add $1,400 more for all-wheel drive.
more info...
Old 12-13-12, 09:11 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

This will fly off the dealer lots.

Toyota really nailed all the things their target demographic is looking for.
Old 12-18-12, 01:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...4_first_drive/
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...3_toyota_rav4/

Best reviews of any Rav4 to date.... very positive.
Old 12-18-12, 08:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

good detailed walk through and on road (no talking ) video here.

i think toyota's move to make it mainstream will make it a big hit

Old 12-18-12, 08:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

power lift gate on limited model can be set to open to different heights to accomodate low garages as well as tall people

i like the british reporter's jab about the french stitching meaning it must only work part time.

Quick Reply: 2014 Toyota RAV4: revealed at L.A. Auto Show